Boise, Idaho anyone?

Looks like Wyoming is the only state spared in a 500 warhead strike. Not that I would recommend it to live.
One of my friends left BA for Pittsburg a couple years ago and seems to like it. YMMV, of course. Cold at times.

“According to my models, a concerted nuclear attack on the existing U.S. silo fields—in Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska, Montana and North Dakota—would annihilate all life in the surrounding regions and contaminate fertile agricultural land for years. Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas would also probably face high levels of radioactive fallout. Acute radiation exposure alone would cause several million fatalities across the U.S.—if people get advance warning and can shelter in place for at least four days. Without appropriate shelter, that number could be twice as high. Because of great variability in wind directions, the entire population of the contiguous U.S. and the most populated areas of Canada, as well as the northern states of Mexico, would be at risk of lethal fallout—more than 300 million people in total. The inhabitants of the U.S. Midwest and of Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario in Canada could receive outdoor whole-body doses of radiation several times higher than the minimum known to result in certain death.”

To quote Sun RA- "we're all gonna go" if there is a nuclear war.

I know it is not exactly cosmopolite, I have yet to go visit first. We are looking forma safe suburban area or medium sized city, with all 4 seasons, safe and with career opportunities. I have been wanting to leave the city for a long time, and as sad as it sounds, I don't feel safe in the outskirts and don't want to do the gated neighborhood life. I also started to consider the effects that global warming will have in coastal areas, and as I mentioned earlier, water contamination seems to be a problem in many places. My DH moved here 20 years ago because I had to take care of my family, sadly they are now all gone, so I guess it is only fair to spend some time in the US where he still has family and friends. It is not out of the menu keeping property here or returning for retirement. We don't take advantage of what this city ( or any other ) have to offer ( restaurants, theaters, nightlife, public transportation, etc ) because we mainly like to go camping, outdoors, etc.
Idaho is the the single most restrictive anti-abortion state in nthe Union. Adoptions are currently not allowed at any time. There is a move to remove exceptions for rape and incest. According to the ACLU anyone who teaches or counsults about abortion is subject to 14 years of imprisonment under Idaho’s abortion censorship law, the No Public Funds for Abortion Act (NPFAA). The law, which prohibits the use of any public funds to “promote” or “counsel in favor of abortion.” If your practice as a nurse includes women’s reproductive rights, you would do well to connect your professional organization. CBS reports a major exodus of OBGYNs from the state. Doubtlessly many people in Idaho are warm and welcoming. The Southern Poverty Law Center says it’s tracking at least 21 anti-government, hate groups in the state. According to today’s Idaho Statesman:
"Idaho resurfaces for a new generation as a Western refuge of the radical right. Counterterrorism experts and U.S. officials are watching the evolution of extremism in Idaho with alarm.” Read more at: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/northwest/idaho/article263463388.html#storylink=cpy

Since we are piling on Idaho, I made reference to this movement earlier which has some traction in the northern panhandle, western Montana and eastern Wa. Here is a podcast that is eye-opening regarding these folks who are mainly transplants. Even earlier examples such as Richard Butler moved up from California.

Boise and Raleigh couldn’t be more different! I’ve spent time in both areas - Idaho in general is much more rural - although Boise is the largest “city” in Idaho, you will probably find it quite small and not very diverse. It does have a strong Basque connection with a lrge group of folks descended from Basque immigrants. It is a very red state from a political perspective. I found it to be just too dull - but if you are into outdoor activities, you might like it. Raleigh, and the RTP area, is, for me, much more vibrant, diverse, interesting. I went to grad school in Durham years ago, and my daughter is currently at UNC Chapel Hill - so I know the area well. The one knock on RTP area, though, is its relatively expensive. My daughter is in a one bedroom apartment in Carrboro -not a huge or luxurious apt - and rent is almost $2000 a month. But lots of things to do - 3 major universities in the area - plenty of good restaurants….Raleigh for me is the better selection.

I appreciate all the information you have shared in this thread, very insightful indeed. Considering Virginia as well although it is more expensive I think ( but closer to DC )

I appreciate all the information you have shared in this thread, very insightful indeed. Considering Virginia as well although it is more expensive I think ( but closer to DC )
My home state. From the ocean and bay all the way out to the mountains. And yes the VA suburbs surrounding DC are quite pricey. Richmond is a livable town.

Back