Bring Bike As Oversized Luggage Into Ezeiza

jlynch

Registered
Hi Guys,

Anyone have any experience importing their bike (road bike) for their own use as oversized luggage into Ezeiza, Buenos Aires?
Could I expect any issues in customs? Does anyone have any experience to share on this

Sending it with BA does not seem to be a major issue as long as it is packaged appropriately in a bike carry bag or box.
I would have to check also with connecting flights (from Dublin too).

BA policy is http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/sporting-goods-and-musical-instruments
Larger items of up to 190cm x 75cm x 65cm (75in x 29.5in x 25.5in) can be carried for an additional over-sized bag charge. (Currently, we waive this charge so you do not pay it.) Any items bigger than these dimensions will require separate shipping as cargo.
KLM also mention it in their policy: http://www.klm.com/travel/gb_en/prepare_for_travel/baggage/exceptional_baggage/index.htm

Thanks
Jon

I have heard of several expats, including some forum members, who have done this. But after researching prices here, and with the blue dollar spread being what it is, it might not be worth the worry and expense to bring it in oneself. There are a lot of good options available here including famous imported brands that are assembled in Tierra de Fuego and therefore available at reasonable prices.

Jlynch,

todos argentinos son locos...

this applies to customs too, Few months back I brought my used bike. Customs as usual asked me what is the price, where is the bill etc, instead of discussing about bike, I started to discuss about how is the traffic, do you advise to ride cycle here etc etc. then I aksed him to check the bike and if he thinks I have to pay the duty, I will. He opened the box and here is the biggest trick you need to pack it as dirty as you can . And shoo....he said please take it as fast as you can...

Well, I got lucky to be true. but be prepared to pay custom duty...

I know a bunch of people who have come to argentina to do Bike tourin. None of them have ever had a problem with customs as far as o know.

Update us please.

Inquiring minds want to know how it goes.

A friend brought in a new bike that he was using to do some bicycle touring. Unfortunately he had left the tags on the bike that showed it had not been used and it was still wrapped up in the brand new box. He had to pay a stupid amount of money to Customs to get the bike in as they used some importing new bike regulation. May or may not be a legit rule but either way he was scammed a few hundred dollars.

Jlynch,

todos argentinos son locos...

this applies to customs too, Few months back I brought my used bike. Customs as usual asked me what is the price, where is the bill etc, instead of discussing about bike, I started to discuss about how is the traffic, do you advise to ride cycle here etc etc. then I aksed him to check the bike and if he thinks I have to pay the duty, I will. He opened the box and here is the biggest trick you need to pack it as dirty as you can . And shoo....he said please take it as fast as you can...

Well, I got lucky to be true. but be prepared to pay custom duty...

A friend of mine bought a high-end mountain bike in the States and chose to return via Chile, where he muddied it up and rode across the border to his home in Bariloche.

The worst part is that the some airlines will gouge you for up to 150 dollars each way to carry a bike. As noted above, many people tour in Argentina on bicycles and have no problem with customs. One way to avoid the airline fee is to get a folding bike which can be packed to small enough dimensions to be considered another suitcase.

Hi All,
Thanks for the responses, in answer to buying bike in Argentina, I haven't seen many road bikes in stores below 10,000 ARS regardless of where they are assembled. There are a lot of 2nd hand road bikes for sale on the following site http://btt.com.ar/compra-venta/ruta-y-triatlon/bicicletas-de-ruta-y-pista/ and even with blue rate, the 2nd hand ones are a lot more expensive than in europe or us, so its much more appealing to try and bring my own.
Jon

There's good general information on international bike travel, including shipping a bike, at my friend Edward Hasbrouck's Practical Nomad blog: http://hasbrouck.org/blog/archives/002094.html#more

Back