Bringing car tires with me on a plane

jurarol

Registered
Hello everyone, i am in need of a set of new tires for my truck. Unfortunatly i am not able to find the size ant type of tires that i need, here in Argentina.So i was thinking bringing it with me on a plane. Do you think i would be able to do it. Since each tire is about $250,and there would be four passengers. I believe each pax can bring up to $300 without paying custom fees.Even if i have to pay customs, does anyone know what are the custom fees for tires, if it's even allowed be brought. Any info would help.Thanks

It's gonna look pretty obvious to Customs what you are doing (in their eyes circumventing the import process). It really depends on their mood at the moment. they might not even look at the screen when you pass through. Or, they might be looking in EVERY nook, cranny, and fold for "smuggled" items. Don't know what they might charge you but if there just is no other way for you to get your tires you might just do it and be prepared to pay whatever they think it's worth.

Also, check with the airlines to see if tires are accepted for transport in the cargo hold. They aren't explosive but they do burn hot and long. Not sure about that one. Good luck!

You should have no problem bringing them, but make sure you look at the airline weight and size restrictions. You will probably have to pay extra and it adds up quickly.

If you each declare one tire, that is completely legal. The tax is 50% of the value above U$S 300, so you'd technically be liable for $350 in taxes.

That being said, customs will have no idea what a tire costs. It's very simple to have an invoice that says they were U$S100 each.

From my experience, you can get almost anything by customs as long as you have an official looking receipt. I have some friends that brought some very strange things to Buenos Aires. They always had the receipt that they got and avoided problems. The items were typically under the $300 limit or just slightly over and they paid duty on the amount over $300.

One client has brought all kinds of LCD TV's when they were on sale and never had problems with the receipts. He even brought an expensive heavy special safe from the USA where they were much more expensive here. He typically has the original receipt plus on his Ipad he will have some screen grabs from Amazon.com so he can show them that is what he paid.

I agree though if you can go with Buquebus it's much easier. If you have a friend that has a car, you can just load it into his trunk of his car. They won't care about that or hassle with it. They do have some dogs on occasion that are looking for cash or drugs but no way they are going to stop you for having tires in your trunk.

I took my car all the time back and forth from Uruguay never with any issues. I'm not sure if they will be any cheaper over in Uruguay. I don't know anything about tires. Electronics were expensive in Uruguay as well.

Sleuth said:
You should have no problem bringing them, but make sure you look at the airline weight and size restrictions. You will probably have to pay extra and it adds up quickly.

If you each declare one tire, that is completely legal. The tax is 50% of the value above U$S 300, so you'd technically be liable for $350 in taxes.

That being said, customs will have no idea what a tire costs. It's very simple to have an invoice that says they were U$S100 each.

Did you know that Argie custom officers have the power to disprove foreign invoices??? Just a little advice.. don't cheat on the real price too much, they can still charge you for their own estimate price if the price doesn't look real... Even if it's a black friday sale

Somebody told me that automobile parts are prohibited to bring into Arg. So car tires ,i believe, do fall in that category.So i guess there is no way of doing it.These are some big tires, for F250 Harley D. edition truck, and nobody around here have that size, so i'm running out of options of bringing it here.

Some Car products in relation to the use on public roads, need an aproval called homologation, here is link if you want to know the details
http://www.sub-industria.gob.ar/reg...o-de-homologacion-de-autopartes-de-seguridad/
If the products you want to bring, do not exist yet in Argentina means that are not yet homologated.(Homologados)
Por course, if the premium brand, probably NOW in Argentina, lack of the stocks, as like today few imported wiskey and going up the price day by day.....

There are several option maybe, you cannot get the best tires,but second options mabe here in Argntina,
it had better buy tires already have been imported.

I am a USA citizen and an Argentine resident, I think I am entitled to bring personal belongings to Argentina including my car.
It would entail sharing a container on a cargo ship, maybe that would be an option for your tires, or when things settle down from Covid you might be able to buy such tires in Chile or Brazil if shipping proves too difficult.

Back