Brutally Beaten in Recoleta

orwellian said:
The more compliant you are the less risk you have for being beaten up or killed IMO.
I never carry more than a few hundred pesos with me so it's never a big loss.

Yes, you should be compliant if someone points a gun at you, because you simply can't win in this situation. But even then, there is no guarantee that the mugger won't shoot.

But the same does not apply when you are ambushed by a mob of "kids" (or any other mob). From the accounts I read here, It did not look like the "kids" asked their victims politely to hand over the money. They attacked immediately. So if they attempt/start the beating, make sure that you return as many punches as you can. They asked for it. Whether it's illegal or not does not matter at this point.

Not carrying too much money or expensive jewellery is common sense.

My point is if you fight back the probability of you getting more hurt is far greater. But there is never a way of really knowing for sure.

I'm quite surprised no-ones mentioned the best self defence technique of all... Run like the frickin wind to the busiest place you can see! It's saved my ass a few times back in the UK and I reckon it would do me good here, should the situation arise. It's surprising how quick you can run when you have to. It's the basic animal instinct of fight or flight.

But every situation is different so we cant really sum it all up into one infallible piece of advice. If you get mugged at gun point for the 100 pesos in your pocket, give em it. If someones trying to kidnap you at gun point or do something more severe, then you might want to think about resistance.

Oooh! I almost forgot the old kick/knee to the family jewels! Do it hard enough and you'll have plenty of time to get away. Also (if you can) BITE HARD! Especially the nose, the pain and tears in the attackers eyes will give you some time to get away. Believe me, that really really really hurts, enough that you cant think about anything other than the pain.

It's all good to say fight back, which is fine when you're talking about one assailant, but most of the time these guys are working in 2s, 3s, or more. Once you've got that many people on you, and you don't know what they may be carrying, you're screwed. You're always better handing off everything you can -- material goods are not worth as much as say, your fingers (cutting off fingers seems to be the trendy assault as of late).

If someone were actually trying to take me off somewhere believe me I'd fight. A punch or hit to the Adam's apple also gives you time, follow it up with an eye-gouge so that you can get away. The key to our garage is a long screw-like thing -- I always carry it in my dominant hand, it would do some damage. If you don't have keys, a pen. Women that have never taken a self-defense course really should, there's a lot of ways to defend yourself that you should know well enough that they are instinctual (ie how to get out of a basic hold).

All much easier to say when you are thinking that it is just one guy and no gun. Once you're talking multiple guys and weapons, it's a much more complicated situation.

When my husband was held up a couple of months ago, it was 3 guys, 3 guns -- one on him, one on my suegra, and one on our 2 year old niece. He gave everything up, the scariest part of the whole situation was not knowing if they were going to take the child once they had everything else. Fortunately they just took the wallet, phones, car etc. Then they used his car to assault another family, took their car too, and then they took those two cars and assaulted another guy on a motorcycle. All three guys filed reports --- did the police do anything? No.

A month ago, I was walking down Arenales near Ecuador and heard a scream. I turned and saw three purple (fill in your preferred colour) teens running from a woman. The teens had a backpack, which I quickly determined had been stolen from the girl giving chase. They were emptying the contents of the backpack as they ran from her. Just as my brain was comprehending the situation, 2 Argentine men (mid 40s) took off after the teens. Long story short, citizens caught all three and the police arrived shortly. It looks like two of the teens had been roughed up. I was glad to see Argentines fight back and lend a hand. After the incident, I gave thought as to what my role should have been. Should I have tackled one of the three (I could have) and wait for the people giving chase to catch up and help me fight them? Should I have planted a chuck norris/patrick swayze roundhouse kick on them? I think I will purchase a bola (boladera) and take down future thieves gaucho style.

matt 84 was giving a "description" of the assailants!! so, in the future, someone that might be in a similar situation can be AWARE!! got it, all you racially sensitive people out there?

bapak said:
matt 84 was giving a "description" of the assailants!! so, in the future, someone that might be in a similar situation can be AWARE!! got it, all you racially sensitive people out there?
well said,at last common sense arises

luddite said:
A month ago, I was walking down Arenales near Ecuador and heard a scream. I turned and saw three purple (fill in your preferred colour) teens running from a woman. The teens had a backpack, which I quickly determined had been stolen from the girl giving chase. They were emptying the contents of the backpack as they ran from her. Just as my brain was comprehending the situation, 2 Argentine men (mid 40s) took off after the teens. Long story short, citizens caught all three and the police arrived shortly. It looks like two of the teens had been roughed up. I was glad to see Argentines fight back and lend a hand. After the incident, I gave thought as to what my role should have been. Should I have tackled one of the three (I could have) and wait for the people giving chase to catch up and help me fight them? Should I have planted a chuck norris/patrick swayze roundhouse kick on them? I think I will purchase a bola (boladera) and take down future thieves gaucho style.

Please, what's a "boladera"? Couldn't find it on Google.

The word is BOLEADORAS - "a throwing weapon made of weights on the ends of interconnected cords, designed to capture animals by entangling their legs."

They are made out of wet rawhide - when it shrinks it becomes one with the weight. The cords are made out of braided rawhide strips,

Back