BsAs Safety

I've been here 6 years. Have been a victim twice and both times were because I let my guard down. I don't mean that I'm always on edge, but I'm always AWARE of my surroundings - in Buenos Aires, in Frankfurt, in Paris, in London, in Philadelphia. Doesn't matter.

I had my laptop stolen from under my feet at Retiro. The set-up for the snatch was intricate and, as Marine veteran, I still admire the impecable execution of their plan. Flawless. Just to say that it was the first - and last -time that I sat down without putting my leg through the strap of the bag.

The second time was an attempted mugging. I was walking alone late at night through an area that I knew was crappy. I got fortunate as I was able to get the upper hand, but was pissed at myself for doing something so stupid in the first place. My wife beat the crap out of me when I got home and told her what happened. :)

GS_Dirtyboy: So you survived the mugging only to be beaten up by the wife when you got home! :D Thank you for the laugh.

I've been here 11 1/2 years and have never had any problems, have seen muggings, accidents, etc but couldn't even get my old horrible cellphone taken out of my hand in one of the places famed for cellphone thefts!
I put my very good fortune down to being aware and most times being with my Argentine husband who is even more aware and leads me out of danger when he sees it.

You have to be careful, but if you stick to the decent areas you should be okay. As others have said, the biggest worry is pickpockets and purse snatchers. I don't even carry a purse if I don't need it. :p If you can, it's best not to travel alone especially at night.

I have never been mugged or anything of the sort, but I know plenty of people who have been including close family. Crime is definitely an issue and you should try to not make yourself an easy target. Be careful and aware of your surroundings. Don't leave your belongings where anyone can take them, because they will. ;) Watch who's around you when walking the street, sitting in a bus, parking, walking to your door, etc. Last night for instance we walked an extra block because my husband didn't like the look of the kids that were hanging around an empty parking spot.

If you're cautious chances are you'll be okay, but of course it can happen to anyone. Mostly be aware of the people around you since most crimes are random and out of opportunity. :rolleyes:

In my opinion, these ¨well it hasn't happened to me in the X amount of years I have been here¨ stories are somewhat scewed, as most of us know, the crime rate TODAY at THIS time, is not the same as it may have been X years ago, because the situation is different alltogether.

Today, with the amount of hyper inflation and increased sense of general instability and insecurity, people are far more likely to result to criminal activity if only out of sheer desperation, than they may have been just a few years ago when things were a bit more ¨normal¨ (as normal as things can be here)

ElQueso said:
For the price the owner is now going to get from me, I could lease a 500 sm small mansion, with lots of property and a pool in Asuncion.

EL Queso,

Can you elaborate on rent prices on the properties in paraguay? I am intrigued.

I have been to Asuncion a few times. I like both villa Mora or the old city. Both have advantages.

Which part of city would this mansion be located. Rent? Long lease or short lease? Furnished? If unfurnished, cost to furnish it.

Thanks

Can not be careful enough, I've been lucky to never have been robbed in the last 6 years.
No proven way to protect yourself people, are held at gun point day and night in restos, louctorios and even buses... ! In areas like Palermo, Recoleta, Belgrano, San Telmo, supposed to be safe, residents get robbed in their apts. entraderas.

Choose a building with 24 hour security, if your building has no security whatsoever....!. Follow certain rules, carry only a copy of the ID, one credit card, and a minimum amount of cash, no valuables, if you walk at night stay in the main Avenues.... ! Never go to markets or businesses at closing time, when the register is full. Beware of boys asking for coins, wallet snatchers...!!

Better be safe than mugged

I never walk in any city with my ear buds in my ear. I don't want to attract attention that I have something that could be of value and I also want to be able to hear so as to avoid any run-ins with cars. On the subte, I don't bring out my iPad either...this is good advice for any urban setting as well. Just keep your wits about you and if you have to use a map or guidebook, trying stepping inside a store or cafe, get your bearings, and then continue on your way. Happy and safe travels!

Protection 101

When you are walking alone at night, through the streets, and you see possible chorros nearby, you must quickly put yourself into protection mode. Think of the body language and weird gestures that every crack head or drug addict you've ever met performs. Facial jerks, jaw spasms, weird eye movements, slight barking sounds. Walking with a swagger, one arm up one arm down. Look CRAZY.

No one will ever rob you.

Totally right. Please don't come here unless you've got some kind of super powers.

Back