Bucquebus Ferry To Colonia

I went to Colonia last Friday. Went to SeaCat office on Cordoba office. The price was 60 USD and I was told that I could only pay in USD and not pesos.

I paid with a 100 dollar note and was given the change in pesos in the official rate. So a big loss. Make sure you have the correct amount in USD if you can.

I felt like I was in Cambodia where scams of this type are normal and I hate that.

It seems that from the posts here you can also pay with credit card, which I was not told about it.

The annoying thing is that my Argentine friend went to Colonia last week and paid only 500 pesos.

I was also shocked with the price and quality of the food. 400 pesos for a bide that chorizo that was hard and tasteless.

One thing that I didn't know is that they give you a new 90 day visa waiver on your back. I went to colonia to get dollars and did t need a new visa waiver, but got a new 90 visa anyway. So that was a bonus.

I hope this post help others to make their trip less painful.

Thank you. Helpful. What exchange rate did you achieve in Uruguay? It definitely seems worth buying some dollars there and selling them in Florida Street...?

HE who travels with Colonia Express is a masochist :eek:

I went once with Colonia Express and, while it's a little more crowded the departure point is less convenient, for an hour's trip I don't much care. The service was adequate, and the price was right.

Seacat day roundtrip fare with DNI $495 pesos.today

Some tips: if you travel at 2pm you end up in the small Seacat boat , avoid this, otherwise you travel on the Buquebus large boats.
The fare in Buquebus RT is $1100 pesos
The exchange rate for duty free purchases in Buquebus is $12,80 per dollar !!!, prices are quoted in Dollars

Low Cost food oprions;. La Pasiva coffee $37 pesos :eek:
Best buy Los Farolitos Kiosk fast food Burgers and Panchos . Burger and coke $ 67 pesos. :eek:

Some tips: if you travel at 2pm you end up in the small Seacat boat , avoid this, otherwise you travel on the Buquebus large boats.

same with the noon one. I don't think they actually operate a SeaCat boatHave you ever actually traveled on the SeaCat boat? In almost 3 year of traveling with them, I never have.

In Uruguay remember to use cards not cash (argentine cards if you can, debit works too!) since they refund the VAT at restaurants of you pay with a foreign card

The fare in Buquebus RT is $1100 pesos
The exchange rate for duty free purchases in Buquebus is $12,80 per dollar !!!, prices are quoted in Dollars

Low Cost food oprions;. La Pasiva coffee $37 pesos :eek:
Best buy Los Farolitos Kiosk fast food Burgers and Panchos . Burger and coke $ 67 pesos. :eek:

The duty free shop is not run by Buquebus . It is a concession managed by a Uruguayan company , although the invoice occasionally has the name of one of their Panama based subsidiaries.

same with the noon one. I don't think they actually operate a SeaCat boatHave you ever actually traveled on the SeaCat boat? In almost 3 year of traveling with them, I never have.

I did travel today (August 6 at 2 PM) in the small Seacat boat called Ciudad de Buenos Aires that holds close to 120 passengers . My first time since Seacat exists... :eek:

A devastating experience! Before departure a huge heavy metal container was loaded with a crane on the bow deck section. This crate of 3x3 meters side blocked entirely our view towards the front of the boat, maybe it also blocked the view for the captain on the deck above. us . This craft not being a container vessel designed to carry heavy loads up front, may loose its flotability under rough seas by altering her center of gravity :eek:

Hi all,
It's been a while, and so I wonder what highlights in Colonia can be recommended? I'll be traveling in mid-December.
Thanks!

Back