Buenos Aires Changing

captainmcd

Registered
I had been visiting (rather than living) here about three months a year from 1983 until 2005, when my work prevented me from spending time in Argentina for any extended period. Last week was my first visit in seven years. My wife and children have visited during those seven years and did not really notice much change. The changes I have noticed are mostly for the better.

The Subtes have been extended and improved, they are much cleaner, and you can use a card, not the old tokens. It is my prefered way to travel in the city, and now I can go more places.

The city parks were always well located, but poorly maintained. Now they are much cleaner, fenced in, and well maintained.

There is much better maintenance of the streets and sidewalks, they are still bad, but I see a definite improvement, I actually see workmen out fixing things for the first time in 30 years.

Buildings that had been under construction twenty years ago have finally been completed, there must be investment money available once again.

Finally, things in general are cleaner. As a 6 ft. tall gringo, I love walking in the city, but have had to watch were I put my feet. There was so many potholes and doggy doo on the sidewalk, but when looking down I would bump my head on street signs and tree branches. This is still a problem, but people seem to wash their sidewalks more often, so it is not as bad. Also trees are trimmed a bit higher, I think.

One negative thing. I used to find many small shops, bakers, green-grocers, butchers, fiambrias, and other businesses on my block, I didn't even need to cross a street. Now I think that the local supermarkets are replacing those kinds of businesses. One stop shoping can be convenient, but I still miss the specialty shops, where there seemed to be a better selection and quality of things you need.

I love living in Buenos Aires, but I would not want to work there. There is just too much bureaucracy, but maybe that will improve too, someday!:)

Great post. I have to agree with you about the subways. The only problem line is the D during peak hours, but moving about the city on the other lines is great. The Metrobus, although not extremely special, is also quite efficient/fast. Monedero/SUBE is amazing.

062311krugman3-blog480.jpg

"I was really struck by the person who said that Argentina is no longer considered a serious country; shouldn’t that be a Serious country? And in Argentina, as elsewhere, being Serious was a disaster." - PAUL KRUGMAN

I know the locals hate Macri (to quote one of my students, "he is the s*$&, the sonofab&^% sh*$ f&#* a*$@(@*# sh*#."), and that he's corrupt as hell and a bit of a buffoon. BUT, frankly it seems that under his regime, a few steps toward improvement are being taken. For example, the new bicisendas and free bike-storage areas, the new ecobuses, the Arroyo Maldonado project, more and higher speeding fines, an attempt to instill some sort of a recycling program, sidewalk repair projects, and my personal favorite, the microchips in chino heladeras to ensure that dairy products are stored at safe temperatures 24/7.

I don't know what BsAs was like 10 years ago, so I can't compare, but it does remind me a bit of NYC in the early '90s, when it was just beginning to be cleaned up by Giuliani.

Imagine what he could have done if he got suppport from K.

- The microchips in "chino" supers were an initiative of the chino supermercados association.
- The new subte stations were all done before Macri, with some things finished now.
- The Maldonado project was initiated before Macri.
- The Metrobus is a simple project converted into a black hole of funds for some "friends". The buses are the old ones with a few of the "accordion" ones. If they had coordinated before the red lights maybe the Metrobus could have not been necessary. That said, I like it.
- The bikeways: more money for the construction friends, I don´t know if they are done right or not.
- Hospitals and schools: much much worse.

Your student must be a brainwashed kid. probably Kirchnerista.
Many resentful people just hate him because he's rich and upper class.

Funny thing is those same people go and vote for Cristina Kirchner, which is also rich and 1000 times more corrupt than Macri to say the less. but she has a "popular" and meaningless speech only stupids can buy.

Ask your student about montoneros, ERP, etc. He'll probably tell you those assassins were heroes.

More than 60% of porteños vote for Macri, so it really depends on who you ask.

Not only I don't hate Macri but I wish he'll be able to become the next president.

starlucia said:
I know the locals hate Macri (to quote one of my students, "he is the s*$&, the sonofab&^% sh*$ f&#* a*$@(@*# sh*#."), and that he's corrupt as hell and a bit of a buffoon. BUT, frankly it seems that under his regime, a few steps toward improvement are being taken. For example, the new bicisendas and free bike-storage areas, the new ecobuses, the Arroyo Maldonado project, more and higher speeding fines, an attempt to instill some sort of a recycling program, sidewalk repair projects, and my personal favorite, the microchips in chino heladeras to ensure that dairy products are stored at safe temperatures 24/7.

I don't know what BsAs was like 10 years ago, so I can't compare, but it does remind me a bit of NYC in the early '90s, when it was just beginning to be cleaned up by Giuliani.

marksoc

63% :D

marksoc said:
- The microchips in "chino" supers were an initiative of the chino supermercados association.
- The new subte stations were all done before Macri, with some things finished now.
- The Maldonado project was initiated before Macri.
- The Metrobus is a simple project converted into a black hole of funds for some "friends". The buses are the old ones with a few of the "accordion" ones. If they had coordinated before the red lights maybe the Metrobus could have not been necessary. That said, I like it.
- The bikeways: more money for the construction friends, I don´t know if they are done right or not.
- Hospitals and schools: much much worse.

I like the order that Macri has brought. It's not like you could ever compare BsAs to a Swiss, German, Austrian, or Scandinavian city, but it's still nice to have a little bit of order added to the mindless chaos that can be encountered with every turn.

Just a little bit of order can make a world of difference.

Sorry to the haters, but I'm a big fan of mutual awareness and respect.

Macri is too crooked to ever have my support. :p And Buenos Aires still looks like a dump in many areas.

We should have higher standards.

Eclair said:
Macri is too crooked to ever have my support. :p And Buenos Aires still looks like a dump in many areas.

We should have higher standards.

Totally agree, Buenos Aires 'IS' a dump since Macri and his mob are running this place. I never saw this city so abandoned, so dirty and graffiti prone, everywhere you look at, if we add to this monkey in charge the dirty porteno uneducated habits, the dogs, and they disregard for law and order we have a full bingo card done...many times over.

Back