Buenos Aires Foods Of Italian Origin

One of my favourites amongst Italian Pastas. Pasta al Bongole...Made it last night, used clam substitute despite.!
smallpasta-with-mussel-and-tomato-s-27497546.jpg

If it suits you will talk of East and West. however never heard that term in Italy?? the Calabrese would be from the West? ovest?
Le Marche has a strong community here thou. When you say many came from the ex Papal Estates it can't be argued if many means more than ONE..!!
Must also mention the destruction of the Kingdom of the 2 Sicilian's including Sicily, Calabria and la Puglia. As in Il Gatopardo.
Where most immigrants came from!! Must visit small cities in the province of BA many business called Reggio , Palermo, Trapani, Eboli, etc.

Does the risotto from Il Fuime looks like this ?

fc50tc022-01_xlg.jpg

Well I wrote WAST (I blame the wine) so it invites a little confusion. Just clarifying that the North-South divide was or is also east west (the South corresponding with the EAST! like Greece!) because the Peninsula is not straight but leans east (the heel being the Easternmost part and also the more "traditional" or least modernised.

The Papal Sates (abolished by Il Duce after the Lateran Treaty) were many but belonged to one, much like the holy trinity which is three but also one. No I do not get it, so please...

The risotto at Il Fiume looks grey not yellow (lack of imported saffron I assume) but it's still quiet "authentic" and all the gamberi are more or less fresh-tasting, while at Primafila (BA Design) they only put one good shrimp on top and rubber ones inside. I tried to offer to pay more to get an all shrimp risotto but to no avail....

I would like to get the opinion of those expats born and raised in Italy as to which Italian restaurants they recommend. Personally, I like Piegari. The food is very good, but definitely not as good as the real thing in the Motherland. Whoever mentioned that cannoli are from the south is right. The food in the north and south is totally different. Most of the food in that States and in Buenos Aires seems to prevail in southern Italian dishes since most of the immigrants came from there. My nonna was from an area between Naples and Florecce and my nonno was from Bari in the south, so I grew up with a blend of the best of both parts of Italy. North and South. I've never heard of a West and East.I really do wish the Italian restaurants here would have more variety. Pasta risotto dishes are not the only thing they eat in Italy.

Could Also qualify those that are gourmets and have lived in Italy, love Italian food and have tried Italian Food from Portofino, Genoa, to Il Venetto , Emila, to Rome Napoli and Positano (La Sirenuse)
I applaud your comments !!! :wub: East and West jajajajaj Guess Genova is West and Venezia East ,well we knew that But the South is the South Cara Mia! Ca neshun e fesso !!

You are correct the peasants from La Calabria brought their Home cucina from the end of the XIX century to Buenos Aires , The Bronx and Brooklyn . Very different form the home food from the North of Italy and again different from the food served then in the upscale restaurants in the big cities in Italy, And totally different from the food served now in fancy restaurants in Italy

Historically the Northern Italians ate a lot of Polenta and white sauces, the tomato based sauces were introduced by the southern construction workers that came to work in Milan construction boom.

Polentone: A derogatory term referring to Northern Italians. The opposing term is terrone referring to Southern Italians. see http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=polentone

Penne Arrabiata https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHv5bcHDzrw

Penne is the plural of Penna (writing Pen) because they resemble a Quil used to write with , Not related to Pene in Spanish = Penis

Well I wrote WAST (I blame the wine) so it invites a little confusion. Just clarifying that the North-South divide was or is also east west (the South corresponding with the EAST! like Greece!) because the Peninsula is not straight but leans east (the heel being the Easternmost part and also the more "traditional" or least modernised.

The Papal Sates (abolished by Il Duce after the Lateran Treaty) were many but belonged to one, much like the holy trinity which is three but also one. No I do not get it, so please...

The risotto at Il Fiume looks grey not yellow (lack of imported saffron I assume) but it's still quiet "authentic" and all the gamberi are more or less fresh-tasting, while at Primafila (BA Design) they only put one good shrimp on top and rubber ones inside. I tried to offer to pay more to get an all shrimp risotto but to no avail....

Well lets drop this issue , you are correct the heel is to the East of Genova

Will not go to Il Fuime gray Risotto fa schiffo (disgusting) My Risotto with Spanish Zafran looks better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsFQ7NFl5Xg

you made that dish? nice I can see the saffron pistils! I have an unopened box of arborio rice and I went paleo so I wont be using it anytime soon, wanna have it for a nominal price of half a nutella jar? of course that aint paleo either... anyways I'll be back in November

Italian risotto is not cooked with saffron, it is Spanish rice that is yellow. So you got the real deal.

I was trying to explain to my Italian-Argentine cousins what marzapane is. Yummy! I miss my mother's biscotti that she used to make with almonds, lemon or orange rind and anise that she would cook twice so they would be hard and crunchy and her homemade scampi with linguini, and my grandmother's cannoli. None of those can be found in Argetnina. Here Italian food consists of overcooked spaghetti with meat or tomato sauce, spinach or meat ravioli, and pizza. There's not much variety and what there is is a poor replica of Italian food. Don't come to Argentina for the Italian food. Come to try the Argentine cuisine: asado, puchero, locro, tamales in western Argentina, matambre, vitel tone, and the empanadas.
Ewwwwwwwww, I am of Italian ascendance and I cook my own stuff, from scratch. Have my secret family recipes that my great grandmother passed along, On my father's side from northern Italy, on my mother's from the south. It is true that a lot of what they call Italian cuisine is bland and not really that great. Marzipan is easy to find here, cannoli I only know of 2 places. There is no place that cooks like la mamma or la nonna though :)

Italian risotto is not cooked with saffron, it is Spanish rice that is yellow. So you got the real deal.
well as i say the risotto at il fiume is grey, real italiano
PS I Still think there is saffron in southern italy even though risotto is from the north(ish)

Back