Buenos Aires Foods Of Italian Origin

Cantina calabresa: Il vero mangiare, at Batalla de Bari 700, Villa Crespo, 2 blocks from the corner of Av Juan B Justo and Honorio Pueyrredón. Also, the only restaurante in Buenos Aires that offers "ranas toro". I suggest you to make a reservation in advance and check when is open. Eduardo, the owner is the third generation of this place, and one of the waiters speaks perfect English.

Napolitan pastries, a small variety at cafe Lattente, on Thames, near Nicaragua. The place is small, it has a bench and a small table on the side walk. Good ristretto too. On Saturdays afternoon fresh canoli is sold, 15 pesos each. The canoli guy is with the basket on the bike at the sidewalk.

1) the sound is the same
2) you can't get it confused with anything else

Anyway, nlaruccia wrote "cannoli" and I can't see why your two word comment

already lost a "n". The sound changes a lot!

And the example I stated about misspelled names was referred to Argentinians. To be honest, farinata is typical of the Genoa area only, it is not widespread. You want to make it your hallmark dish, fine, at least if you want to sell it as an Italian delicacy spell its name correctly!

I bet you'd be pissed off if you kept reading "mother thong" instead of "mother tongue".

EDIT: I just looked at the menu of Trattoria Olivettiand it is awful, I had to read the Spanish translation to understand what they wanted to write in Italian!
There is no single dish listed there has no mistake in their Italian version. No one! C'mon, and you'd sell this as a typical Italian restaurant?!
it does seem you only care about the spelling when it´s your culture they´re talking about...

Argentines make food that their grandmother told them was Italian.
But she left Italy before she was five.

NO, you will not find "real" italian food here.
You will find Argentine food, some of which is vaguely like some Italian food.

As in all things Argentine, if you come expecting the food to be Italian, or the city like Paris, or the language to be Spanish, you will be disapointed.

You must seek the Argentine, and appreciate it for its Argentine-ness.

There is plenty of great food to eat here- but its not like somewhere else.

I eat steak, and choripans, papas provencal, fugazetta, faina, pastas, pastries, tortas, gelato, and a lot of other things that can be very fine indeed.
And, these days, there are more and more internationally inspired argentine fusion restaurants.
But they are uniquely argentine.
i agree strongly about the grandmothers idea. but the lenguage is spanish undoubtedly. all other things seem right.

I am so looking forward to spending the month of November at my home in Riomaggiore Cinque Terre , Italia. I know of a restaurant in La Spezia that all they serve is mussels. And a Pizzzeria where the oven has not cooled down since it opened in 1874. According to the owner anyway. The only Italian I do in Buenos Aires is in my own kitchen. Although Palaccia and Carmello in lovely Zone Norte are not to bad. I am ruthless in my opinion of Italian food. Even Italy.

I am so looking forward to spending the month of November at my home in Riomaggiore Cinque Terre , Italia. I know of a restaurant in La Spezia that all they serve is mussels. And a Pizzzeria where the oven has not cooled down since it opened in 1874. According to the owner anyway. The only Italian I do in Buenos Aires is in my own kitchen. Although Palaccia and Carmello in lovely Zone Norte are not to bad. I am ruthless in my opinion of Italian food. Even Italy.

Thanks for the restaurant recommendation. I'll have to check Palaccia and Carmello out. I bet you miss the food from home. My mother would make an incredible estofado in an eighty year old pot and let it simmer all day. There was too much to fit into the refrigerator so in the winter she would store the pot in the trunk of the car and I would smell it all day in the house and in the car. LOL.

By the way, if you are looking for authentic pizza, I strongly recommend Partenope in La Lucila ( member of the Napoletan Pizza Asociation ) its owner is from Napoli.

https://www.facebook.com/partenopepizza

and Siamo nel forno https://www.facebook.com/pages/Siamo-Nel-Forno/

Nikad the link for Siamo says the page isn't there anymore. What's your current pick for best pizza with delivery in barrio Norte/recoleta area?

Back