Buenos Aires is Beautiful

iStar said:
Because you are not allowed to say anything negative about Argentina without some people getting their knickers in a bunch.

For the record I do think Argentina is a beautiful city.

Although, they can do more in beautifying the city such as:

fix the broken sidewalks
place recycling bins on public property
reduce air pollution by placing emission standards on all cars, buses and trucks

The way I understand it is that sidewalks are not public property. They are private property. The belong to the house that they are in front of. That is why some are well kept, the property owner/s spend money on keeping it in good repair. Others don't have the money or can't be bothered.

cabrera said:
Is there something wrong with you or are you living in Villa 21 or Fuerte Apache?

This is an insult to us all who call Buenos Aires home

But you felt it was OK to insult everyone who calls Toronto home? Can you spell hypocrite? ;) :D

mini said:
The way I understand it is that sidewalks are not public property. They are private property. The belong to the house that they are in front of. That is why some are well kept, the property owner/s spend money on keeping it in good repair. Others don't have the money or can't be bothered.

Yes, I think I heard the same.

I wonder if there is a city bylaw requiring property owners to repair the sidewalks? If there is, the city is doing a very poor job in enforcing it.

They should be handing out fines! Now that would be a CASH COW for the city!

It's not only an eye sore but also a safety issue as-well.

Well said Lee and they are great for building up your calves and inner thighs . After a while your reflexes to avoid dog shit and all manners of obstacles will become excellent and you will miss these goddam broken sidewaks once back in the first world.

Lee said:
I love the sidewalks here...for me they are certainly part of the charm of the city!

Sure you have to be aware of where you are stepping but this ain't fucking Disney Land!

:)

This is a lot of things.. public health hassard first comes to mind... but it's NOT charming.

I took these pics earlier today on Arenales just south of Billinghurst. And this is suppose to be one of the nice areas of the city.

And you are correct this ain't Disney Land but the city government is very Mickey Mouse!

There is no doubt that the photos depict a genuinely deplorable situation regarding the sidewalks.

Trash collection the past few months has occasionally been a bit "slow" as well (in areas you would not expect it.)

Recoleta (where the ABL taxes and monthly apartment expenses are high) continues to be an exception.

(That's not a sales pitch for Recoleta. I don't live there anymore.)

I still can say that life in BA continues to be beautiful, at least for me.

I hope it is for you, too.

And Merry Christmas, everyone, from an Atheist who is not offended in any way by any of the symbols of the celebration of the birth of Jesus. I will always treasure the memory of going to church on Christmas eve in the 90's with my 80+ year old father in our "home town" (Rock Island) in Illinois.

Footpaths are a recent new development and for thousands of years people lived without them and walked a hell a lot more than some people do today. They were fitter and healthier than most people now for the simple reason they exercised.

Also to those who stated that I am glorifying the city for commercial reasons this is laughable and I suggest that you look at my over 700 posts and you will see that I have been extremely critical about many issues in Buenos Aires. The truth is I love this city for many factors but am also fully aware that there are issues that can be changed for the betterment of the greater society. My biggest peeve as many members know is the road toll figures which are unacceptable in a civilised society.

In regards to Toronto I believe it to be an attractive city and have to this day a aunt who lives in Missasauga on the outskirts of Toronto ( hope the spelling is right)
To compare this city with Buenos Aires is interesting as they are completely different with a cultural history distinct one being anglo saxon and then the other spanish italian .

Toronto has many barrios completely foreign in language and culture ie greek, portugese, indian, chinese, etc etc. I know from my experience from the Greek community in Canada like the Greek community in Australia they live in a time warp of values that they inherited from their village life . My opinion is that people should adapt to a society that they inherit and learn the language and create relationships within the home country . In Buenos Aires today you do not see these barrios of completely different languages that overshadow the predominant culture. To me this is a very positive aspect of Argentinidad which has moulded many many distinct cultures into a national identity .
You will find people welcoming here if you try a little to speak the language and identify with the values that are important to this society.

pericles said:
You will find people welcoming here if you try a little to speak the language and identify with the values that are important to this society.

I agree with this ten thousand percent.

Back