Buenos Aires is Beautiful

Wow, it would never occur to me to refer to Buenos Aires as beautiful. I think it's fairly hideous, actually. I guess it's probably the least hideous city in Latin America, but that's not saying much. All in the eye of the beholder, I suppose.

ssr said:
Wow, it would never occur to me to refer to Buenos Aires as beautiful. I think it's fairly hideous, actually. I guess it's probably the least hideous city in Latin America, but that's not saying much. All in the eye of the beholder, I suppose.

Don't you know that Buenos Aires is the Latin American version of Paris?

(At least if you are standing in front of the French embassy.)

steveinbsas said:
Don't you know that Buenos Aires is the Latin American version of Paris?

(At least if you are standing in front of the French embassy.)
Don't say the Paris of Latin America to a Frenchman it would be the supreme insult.

ghost said:
Don't say the Paris of Latin America to a Frenchman it would be the supreme insult.

I did not say that BA is the Paris of Latin America.

The expression "the Latin American version of Paris" appears in Avant-Guarde, Internationalism, And Politics--Argentine Art in the Sixties. (Andrea Guinta 2007).

There's a huge difference between the two expressions.

The former equates BA to Paris. The latter does not.

ssr said:

Is there something wrong with you or are you living in Villa 21 or Fuerte Apache?

This is an insult to us all who call Buenos Aires home

Some people's idea of "beauty" sounds suspiciously like an airport. Clean, sterile and characterless. I guess if you hate parks, trees, cobbled streets and colonial architecture this place must be an abomination. Each to their own...

It's kind of funny to watch people on both sides talk about this like there is some kind of "definitive" Buenos Aires, either beautiful or ugly.

There are some really crappy places here. They exist in Recoleta, Palermo, Centro, and any other place in the city.

There are some really nice places here. They exist in Recoleta, Palermo, Centro, and any other place in the city.

The places that I like are the parks, the tree-lined streets, some of the cool buildings that are really unique and usually that are not surrounded completely themselves by other buildings, so on and so forth.

The places I think are ugly are streets without trees (or few trees), sidewalks filled with dog crap, garbage strewn about from carteneros, busses throwing off unimaginable amounts of carbon monoxide, etc. To me, without saying, it's also the poor places of the city, but all cities have that.

Anyone who doesn't see BOTH sides is blind in my opinion.

But just because someone doesn't like the city itself (whichever part) and thinks it's ugly doesn't mean it's an insult, Cabrera. Personally, I don't like big cities at all. It's why I moved out to the suburbs. I find the city itself to be overwhelming, at times even oppresive. Kilometers and kilometers of buildings with large and small streets. Concrete canyons, no matter the architecture, in many places. But that's MY take, and I am not targeting anyone and saying that person should be insulted because my tastes are different.

I'm a country boy. It shouldn't be an insult to anyone that I find most of Buenos Aires to be at best a not-very-pretty-city. But that also doesn't mean that there are not some decent places as well.

But then, I'm not an architect, nor an architectural afficionado, and that's not why I'm here.

I wonder why any of you who DON'T like Bs As are here.....is it because some court ordered you here? I doubt it. If you don't like it, leave. V E R Y S I M P L E.

jp said:
Some people's idea of "beauty" sounds suspiciously like an airport. Clean, sterile and characterless.

Talking about EZE?

Because some airports I know are just the opposite:

Vancouver

3366664980_4bb57bf21c.jpg
spaceball.gif

Toronto

rentaplus said:
I wonder why any of you who DON'T like Bs As are here.....is it because some court ordered you here? I doubt it. If you don't like it, leave. V E R Y S I M P L E.

Because we can hold more than one thought at once.

Back