Building A Living Quarter In Argentina

I'm not trying to discourage you, but we've seen a lot of people with dreams of Argentina sight unseen that end up gravely disappointed. For such a major purchase to be contemplated without ever being in the country is クレイジー!

Are you sure you are not ARbound? Argentina Bound?

Justice Stewart was, obviously, a cruel collectivist who, nevertheless, read Ayn's "novels" out of a sense of duty.

Actually, Justice Stewart was not a collectivist. He was a Republican.

"In 1959, President Dwight D. Eisenhower nominated Stewart to the Supreme Court to replace Justice Harold Hitz Burton, who was retiring. He was a recess appointment in 1958 before being confirmed 70-17 by the United States Senate on May 5, 1959. All 17 "nay" votes came from Southern Democrats."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potter_Stewart

Question: If and build my living quarter outside of gret Buenos Aires, there and possibly live 6 month out of a year.
Can I rent my property easily to anyone there? If not able to rent it out, how is the security be enhanced so not be robbed ? What will be the best way to combat off the thieves ?

HA-san, your questions actually raise a few more questions:

Question: If and build my living quarter outside of gret Buenos Aires, there and possibly live 6 month out of a year.

Are you also still considering opening a sushi joint in Capital Federal as you ask these questions?

Do you have someone you trust well enough to run your shusi joint six months of the year or is it going to be a one man operation with you doing everything?

If you close it six months of the year will your employees be entitled to severance pay?

Can I rent my property easily to anyone there? If not able to rent it out, how is the security be enhanced so not be robbed ?

It might be possible to rent you property or six months of the year, but it is far more likely you will have to pay someone to stay there while you do not. You will also have to hope they will be willing to leave when you want them out.

If you ever let a couple (or single woman) with a minor child stay there while you are gone you may never get back in.

An unoccupied rural or semi-rural property (especially one that is owned by a foreigner) is first likely to be stripped of all contents, including the light fixtures and even the bathroom hardware. Then, unless they are lucky enough to get there before the "strippers," the squatters will move in.

What will be the best way to combat off the thieves ?

First and second: Make them believe you are home when you are not and have a gun even if you don't.

Also: Live there year round (sleeping in the house 365 nights per year with a machete, mace and/or stun gun next to your bed), have an alarm that the neighbors can hear, drive an old car, don't spend much money (especially on new construction), and look as much like a local as possible.

OR:

Live next door to another expat who does.

steve-san.

If to buy or build my Quinta, no need for me to go over to tend the Sushi joint. I will have a Nipponese co-owner partner.
Or completely forget about the business and invest money elsewhere....After all I have US$2500 coming to me as pension monthly
already so no need to worry to much as how to live on..I just wanting to do keeing me busy..Perhaps going to take Tango
lessons from a hot looking Argie Minas !

HA -- you have asked all the questions you can but still don't understand the Argentines (and that could take years to understand). You cannot open any sort of business here without living right near it. It is impossible, especially a restaurant where remember, here the hours are very much later than a lot of regions -- the dinner hour opens at 8pm and closes between 1 and 2am for a restaurant -- even if you only plan to go in once a week to keep an eye on things you don't want to be getting back to the campo at that hour in a lot of areas of provincia. You have a breakdown on the road in a lot of areas forget about it. You still have little understanding of this city, this culture. You need to move to BA for minimum 6 mos and live in the city, see what things are like. Take a drive out to the country -- you'll soon realise that driving around the campo in a Prius (which is a very luxury car here, so you will pay 50% in tax according to the new rules I believe) is completely unfeasible any time it rains because most of the roads off the mains are gravel if not just mud. I don't know, I suspect that what you want is not to live in a campo but to live in a barrio cerrado in Escobar or something of the like. I think most people have idyllic visions of living in the campo here, but a lot of the reality is quite different. Owning a sushi place and living in the campo are two very different desires -- I think probably what you need to consider is owning the sushi place in the city ad then in the month of january escaping to somewhere else. At least for a bit, until you have more grasp of the reality of this country and not the tango fantasy.

Thank you to everyone ..

All sugestions well taken. Like I posted of late, could do without the Sushi joint and finding another investing target so it can generate
me some money in order to enhance my living standard for a better quality of life.

Steveinbsas, saz Or, live next to an Expat for extra security...And that could come handy somehow. Anyways, will be visiting there
soon, when does the cold sets in there ? Rains in wintry months ? I will be prapering for June~July trip any suggestions ?

Also, I could add a Toyota Hi-Lux Turbo 4x4 when firmly established there via the factory in Zarate Toyota Argentina
for muddy roads. But prefering somehat living arounds asphalted roads !
I am doin' feasibility study by talking to Toyota pre-fab homes people if possible to import those modules for home
building of my own or buy a used home there. Will see very soon ...

Like I posted of late, could do without the Sushi joint

Nooooooo :(

Regarding the weather: in winter here it rains less than in the summer. Coldest month is July, but it rarely gets below freezing point (and you still have a few nice sunny days, even if its not that hot).

Thanks, Thorsten - san.
OK then, the coldest month is in July. Here in California the weather is getting too hot already in the upper 80 F heat!
I rather be in the cold than the hot weather and be on white ski slope if possible !

for muddy roads. But prefering somehat living arounds asphalted roads !

Well, the asphalt here isn't too great either... and then there's the cobble. A Hilux here is both a bonus and a pain in the butt! We had one for about 2 months until it got stolen from right outside our house last Saturday night. (Doesn't fit in our garage, so we had to leave it on the street, parked right behind it was an Audi, there was a Range Rover on the other side of the street, and another Audi on the corner, but hey, they took the Hilux with less than 5000km on it... we're more upset because it was a company car and now it's going to be a long wait to get a replacement -- oh and the company is upset with the insurer since they charged them for, but didn't install, the full alarm system and demobiliser/tracker as they were supposed to have done).

Anyway in our short time with the Hilux, I can say it's a pain to park in the city, a truck doesn't offer the smoothest of suspension (it's a truck, so you rattle around in there, which in the city means pretty much constantly), but it's great for getting anywhere outside -- we went fishing a couple of weeks ago and would never have been able to get to the laguna without it.

Back