Bus Lane Ruins 9 De Julio

We now have only the "pre-Metro" which is a tram line by another name along with the tram that goes nowhere on Alem.

That tram is suppose to eventually go from Retiro all the way to La Boca and up to Constitución. Fighting between the national and city government has stalled it though or it could be something more along the lines of developers and cronies wanting to buy up and develop land in San Telmo and La Boca before these areas become more desirable by the addition of improved transportation.

I found out the new bus on 9 de Julio means two less bus lines will be going down my street, which is great because the streets of San Telmo are too narrow for bellowing buses and they also do damage to the historic architecture.

It will be great when the bikes are available 24-7. It used to be that you had to be a kamikaze to ride a bike in Buenos Aires but since the introduction of the bike program the car and bus drivers have started to be more considerate to bikers.

I never got the 9 de julio thing anyway, its basically a motorway through the centre of the city that is a bitch to cross.

There should be more bus lanes through the whole city to make it quicker to get through.

Can't wait til 2015 when this is what the subway system is supposed to look like.

694px-Subtes-2015.svg.png

Thanks for the map of the soon to be amazing transit system !

Buenos Aires Minister of Finance Néstor Grindetti has signed a 15-year loan agreement with China for US$1·4bn to fund metro Line G. Construction of the 12·5 km line with 15 stations between Retiro and El Cid Campeador by Chinese contractors is due to start in 2012.
http://www.railwayga...n-brief-12.html

I wonder how far along they are. :rolleyes:

Trams are good in some places, but when one breaks down, usually none of them going that direction can move.

Bus stations can be made to look attractive and be covered with anti-grafitti protection.

I've been told by a few engineers and maybe they're wrong, but they once mentioned to me that more subways can't be built because the river is so close to the city and they can't dig to deep below the city. Maybe that's just an urban myth.

In Boston and New York, tunnels and the subway go under the rivers, so the notion that you can't build near a river is just nonsense.

I never got the 9 de julio thing anyway, its basically a motorway through the centre of the city that is a bitch to cross.

There should be more bus lanes through the whole city to make it quicker to get through.

Can't wait til 2015 when this is what the subway system is supposed to look like.

694px-Subtes-2015.svg.png

Buenos Aires Minister of Finance Néstor Grindetti has signed a 15-year loan agreement with China for US$1·4bn to fund metro Line G. Construction of the 12·5 km line with 15 stations between Retiro and El Cid Campeador by Chinese contractors is due to start in 2012.
http://www.railwayga...n-brief-12.html

I wonder how far along they are. :rolleyes:

That's what the subway should've looked like in 1990 and could look like in 2090.

Since we're all weighing in on what can be done here. I say bury Av Madero / Huergo and continue the tunnel around through Pedro Medoza and stick Au La Plata-BA there.

Since we're all weighing in on what can be done here. I say bury Av Madero / Huergo and continue the tunnel around through Pedro Medoza and stick Au La Plata-BA there.
Along those lines, a former English student of mine mentioned that a couple of thing suggested in the past to reduce traffic have been:
-Move the ports from just north & south of Puerto Madero to SOUTH of La Plata (50kms+)
-Move the government to the middle of the country (like Brasilia & Ankara)

Right now, the biggest impediment to expanding the Subte is CFK and her cronies. She's blocked expansion and upgrading every step along the way to prevent Macri from being seen as someone who can get things done.

The Subte should be AR$3.50 per ride right now, but a CFK underling got a court order stopping the increase by arguing that if the price was raised AR$1, that 25% of the riders would start driving instead. That's so ridiculously laughable that the person should have paid a fine for wasting the court's time, but instead- a injunction was grated. That accounts for 10s of millions of lost revenue right there.

There are options to improve things but when most powerful person in the country (1) Commutes by helicopter and (2) Doesn't want improvement, then things aren't going to improve quickly.

Along those lines, a former English student of mine mentioned that a couple of thing suggested in the past to reduce traffic have been:
-Move the ports from just north & south of Puerto Madero to SOUTH of La Plata (50kms+)
-Move the government to the middle of the country (like Brasilia & Ankara)

Right now, the biggest impediment to expanding the Subte is CFK and her cronies. She's blocked expansion and upgrading every step along the way to prevent Macri from being seen as someone who can get things done.

The Subte should be AR$3.50 per ride right now, but a CFK underling got a court order stopping the increase by arguing that if the price was raised AR$1, that 25% of the riders would start driving instead. That's so ridiculously laughable that the person should have paid a fine for wasting the court's time, but instead- a injunction was grated. That accounts for 10s of millions of lost revenue right there.

There are options to improve things but when most powerful person in the country (1) Commutes by helicopter and (2) Doesn't want improvement, then things aren't going to improve quickly.

The port and associated traffic in Puerto Madero is a huge problem. To relocate the Port would cost billions of dollars. China has been investing in Ports world wide. Perhaps that good idea may come to fruition someday. In the mean time , truck traffic could be reduced to night time hours. And a rail link to get containers in/out of the port would help. Sometimes dreams are wonderful.

I've been told by a few engineers and maybe they're wrong, but they once mentioned to me that more subways can't be built because the river is so close to the city and they can't dig to deep below the city. Maybe that's just an urban myth.

What thats sounds ridiculous. What about the channel tunnel?

Back