Bus transfer times when on a schedule

Big Swifty

Registered
I'm taking a bus to Mendoza. There are two options. Direct from La Falda, or La Falda > Córdoba (Capital) > Mendoza. From Mendoza I'm transferring to a bus to Santiago.

From La Falda my only option is with Cata Internacional. From what I've read online they get good reviews. Leaving from La Falda (near where I live) is much more convenient for me and my family, cuts out the time and expense of first traveling to Cordoba, and would save me about 4-5 hours and 40% of the fare.

The rub is that the arrival time is exactly one hour before my connecting bus (also on Cata) leaves for Santiago. The connecting bus is the last one out that works for me.

Under normal circumstances an hour is plenty of time to make the connection. My father in law says the buses here run on time - esp. with the better bus lines. Online there are a few stories of buses running late, breaking down, etc., but part of me is assuming that travelers write more about their negative experiences than the positive ones and the risk is small, esp. with a well reviewed bus company. I'm also assuming that these schedules with all of their connections are well planned out so that barring unforeseen circumstances passengers are able to arrive with enough time to make their connections - though I never want to assume too much when it comes to the competence of certain agencies/businesses.

Leaving from Cordoba is more of a hassle, more expensive, more time consuming, and makes me leave a day earlier than I'd like which means I can't get my Precaria situation and permission to leave straightened out with Migraciones. The advantages are that I can arrive either 3 hours or an 1:20 before my connecting bus departs. The time and cost savings would be nice, but not if it means I'd be taking the risk of missing my connection. Realistically, the "hassle" is a first-world hassle; more of an inconvenience.

So, is a one-hour connection window with a well reviewed bus company sufficient for a 9.5 hour scheduled trip between La Falda and Mendoza? I understand nothing is guaranteed and anything could happen, even with a larger arrival/departure window. I'm just looking to know or get opinions about how much of a risk I'd be taking with the La Falda > Mendoza option.

I've traveled thousands of bus miles and only been more than a late on three, completely unavoidable occasions: nothing can really protect you from mechanical breakdown or the road being swept away by flood. But apart from that, buses have always been reliable for me.

Have you considered booking all the way through? (They call it a "combinación") You might be able to do this online or over the phone but personally I prefer to rock up at the booking office and make sure they are booking me all the way through. If you do that, they should hold the second bus for a reasonable time if the first one were running late. (Greyhound held a bus for nearly two hours for me once in Denver on a combination ticket - but that's another story).

Thanks for passing on your experience. Gives me a lot more confidence in booking the more preferable option.

I can't book all the way through online, but my father in law tells me if I purchase at the terminal and tell the person I want to continue on to Santiago that I'll probably get a discount. Nice to know as well that knowing there's a continuing passenger might make them hold the second bus should it come down to it, but I'm hoping that because it's a better rated company there's probably a lesser likelihood for a breakdown with an old beater bus.

I have done the CATA trip Retiro /Mendoza /Santiago, Chile at least six times . It's totally unpredictable depends on weather, accidents on the road, bus malfunction, flats, etc.
However never missed the connection to Santiago in Mendoza . One close call , the Santiago bus was leaving the Platform when we arrived, the driver waved the Santiago Bus to stop .So I was able to board the Santiago Bus... wow

I have done the CATA trip Retiro /Mendoza /Santiago, Chile at least six times . It's totally unpredictable depends on weather, accidents on the road, bus malfunction, flats, etc.
However never missed the connection to Santiago in Mendoza . One close call , the Santiago bus was leaving the Platform when we arrived, the driver waved the Santiago Bus to stop .So I was able to board the Santiago Bus... wow
Also must mention you must have a purchased ticket and an assigned seat on the Mendoza /Santiago to board. When you arrive to Mendoza the Santiago Bus may be full....

Back