Button Has Arrived At Ezeiza

If I remember correctly, the last time I came through customs at EZE a couple of years ago I queued with everyone else and placed my baggage on the conveyor to hell just like anyone else, not having seen a red or green lane.
Anyway, I had a fair bit of stuff, including motherboards, loads of food and motorbike equipment, the conveyor stopped and I knew I was in for the first degree interrogation, so decided that my Spanish had illuded me for the duration after handing over my passport.
When the official discovered that I was NOT Argentine but British, he waved me on, the only question being asked 'Do you intend to sell this equipment?"
The fact that I was/am a resident didn't appear to be relevant, but perhaps it is now. The point being, they are clearly targeting nationals.

Update posted on InfoViajera website on 10 Feb 2017
https://www.infoviajera.com/2017/02/finalmente-afip-anuncia-controles-selectivos-en-la-aduana-ahora-si-arrancan-los-semaforos/

Posting of text msg sent by passenger while at Ezeiza.....

Actualizamos con reporte de una lectora del día 10/02/2017 a la mañana:

Macri seems to be finding all sorts of ways to punish Argentines without delivering any benefits. Inflation soars, crime soars but taxes go up and up and Big Brother intrudes in ways we never dreamed of. It's really becoming intolerable.

The majority of Argentines are only getting what they ruddy well deserve for allowing that bloody woman to stay in power so long. Given the amount of time he has to sort out her mess his only option is to deliver the short, sharp shock treatment. Of course he could have chosen the easier option and kidded everyone into thinking all is wonderful but we'd only have ended up back at square one for some other poor sod to sort out.

As for this news...it sounds very similar to the way it works in the UK. At least my back will be spared not having to put the luggage on the scanner belt. That was a bugger after a 13 hour flight with the amount of luggage we have. Just wish he'd sort out the door to door service which is in a right shambles.

UK Man, when we arrive in the UK, we don't have our baggage checked on arrival, only on leaving.
There's a big difference. Here, it's like a kind of persecution.

UK Man, when we arrive in the UK, we don't have our baggage checked on arrival, only on leaving.
There's a big difference. Here, it's like a kind of persecution.

Not sure what you mean Gringoboy.....when is your luggage checked when leaving the UK? If you arrive in the UK and go through the green channel you can still be pulled aside by customs. I've seen it happening at Glasgow Airport especially to those arriving from the Canary Islands.

I just passed through this semaforo thing yesterday. Had no idea they had this new system...

So basically after you collect your luggage, you stand in line and they have this man standing next to the button. You press the button and get a light... green means you're clear, red means the man standing there tells you which xray machine to go to. The passanger in front of me got green and got to go straight through the exit doors... I of course got red.

Went, put my bags on the belt, and they came out the other side. All they asked was if my laptop was old... which it is, and didn't get searched beyond the scan. I didn't bring anything too expensive, 2 suitcases for the 2 months I was away. Was easy... except for the workout.

It's really not that different from all the other times I've come through aduana. I think the only difference is that instead of everyone going through the xray machine, you now have a chance to go straight to the exit and the lines seem to go faster. Before you could be stuck there for a good hour.

I think as with most things here, "your mileage may vary." They've always been more focused on nationals than tourists and foreigners.

I think as with most things here, "your mileage may vary." They've always been more focused on nationals than tourists and foreigners.

So after two years chasing Argentine citizenship, they finally gave me a valid reason to give it up.

So after two years chasing Argentine citizenship, they finally gave me a valid reason to give it up.

Pretty sure a permanent resident gets treated exactly like a citizen.

The time I alluded to when I had to pay tax on some clothing, first thing the guy did was take my passport and search for the entry stamp. Once he saw that it was not a tourist stamp, it was "Permitíme tu DNI". Then, and only then, did my stuff get pulled over to be searched.

It's pretty clear that had I been a tourist, I'd have breezed through. Perhaps even if my DNI didn't identify me as a permanent resident.

My experience with these things is that it depends....You never know. There is little consistency.

Back