Button Has Arrived At Ezeiza

While entering Uruguay via Colonia, my sister's picnic-bananas were confiscated. She threw the bag on the ground, jumped on it, and handed the resulting mess to the customs officers.

I am a little confused. If you have things to declare do you do so BEFORE you touch the button? I mean if you first touch the button and it is green you don't get searched, so who is going to declare anything if they are let through w/o a search?

Green button pushers are randomly searched - it's a bit like playing poker. Luck of the draw!

While entering Uruguay via Colonia, my sister's picnic-bananas were confiscated. She threw the bag on the ground, jumped on it, and handed the resulting mess to the customs officers.

There is a barrera fitosanitaria between ARG and UY, only canned or industrial food is allowed. Last time I went to UY was through Carmelo and the UY's officials asked if we carried any food, I said "just water" and they let us through. Other people were searched but I knew the rules. You can exit Argentina with food, have it on the boat and enter UY on a full stomach.

I haven't read all the comments. So, I hope that I am not being ignorant here. I haven't been asked to use the AFIP form to declare my cellphone as I leave the country for at least 3 years. When I return to Argentina, I simply ignore the declaring cellphone piece on the form at the bottom. I have never been told to fill it out, nor have they looked. I've come and gone from Argentina since 2000, gone are the days where you could offer the the aduana a cigarette as you chat and wait in line. That's fine by me though. I still feel like most of us are "safe" because they are indeed looking for people under a certain profile and if you're smart about what you bring, I don't think you have too much to worry about. I have had experiences where they (aduaneros) just want to know that we are declaring items because 1), it's unrealistic not to, and 2) they need to do their job. If you let them pretend to do their job and respect them, they feel like they've "won" and I haven't had any issues (and I've brought back ridiculous stuff, kitchen aid mixer, sound boards, laptops, clothes, tablets, go pros, shoes that were no way for me, tons of silly items like complete knife sets....etc etc). I WOULD like to see them up the amount from $300 to $800. It's a low extremely unreasonable amount.

I haven't read all the comments. So, I hope that I am not being ignorant here. I haven't been asked to use the AFIP form to declare my cellphone as I leave the country for at least 3 years. When I return to Argentina, I simply ignore the declaring cellphone piece on the form at the bottom. I have never been told to fill it out, nor have they looked. I've come and gone from Argentina since 2000, gone are the days where you could offer the the aduana a cigarette as you chat and wait in line. That's fine by me though. I still feel like most of us are "safe" because they are indeed looking for people under a certain profile and if you're smart about what you bring, I don't think you have too much to worry about. I have had experiences where they (aduaneros) just want to know that we are declaring items because 1), it's unrealistic not to, and 2) they need to do their job. If you let them pretend to do their job and respect them, they feel like they've "won" and I haven't had any issues (and I've brought back ridiculous stuff, kitchen aid mixer, sound boards, laptops, clothes, tablets, go pros, shoes that were no way for me, tons of silly items like complete knife sets....etc etc). I WOULD like to see them up the amount from $300 to $800. It's a low extremely unreasonable amount.

All that is old information, James Bond.

I just experienced the button for the first time. It was strange. But that was probably the smoothest I've ever passed through that airport AND I brought my friends new cell phones for the first time... B)

Its like a lie detector test!

Either you admit being guilty and walk in the red zone, open yr bags yrself and payup.

Or take the gamble, LIE you have nuthing to declare over 300 usd even if you do. If green light shows up - yr lie was sucessful. If red light shows up - you are in TROUBLE!

What kind of trouble?

Back