Buying A Car As A Tourist

Hi
Go to the page demotores.com and find out what the SUV you need will cost new/used

My advise buy from a major dealer,with guarantee, never from a Private party for a used vehicle
You may have to make a stop to the AFIP /IRS to get a tax record CUIL, then you pay the dealership, that may require Pesos, dollars cash or CC?
The Dealer will lead you through the needed steps.

Thank you very much

Can someone with a tourist visa buy and car and drive it legally w/o Blue Card or DNI ? If I pay cash USD can I get in and out of a car dealer in a couple hours ? Or is this a joke ?

If you live in the USA, you will find that nothing like this, in Argentina, is simple or fast. You can usually do what you want, but one stop shopping is seldom very one stop. I havent bought a car, but having owned property here, visited my share of government offices, police stations (for proof of address) banks, and worked with lawyers and escritorios, my advice is bite the bullet, rent the car, and then buy the vehicle you want AFTER you are settled in San Martin.

I have purchased vehicles as a tourist, with passport only, from a major dealership and bought insurance form Zurich, La Caja insurance and other brokers. Dealers are more than eager to sell also insurance...! Dealers give out the forms to be submitted to AFIP, in Av, Carlos Pellegrini Office a 10 min.

Not advisable for a recently arrived tourist with limited local knowledge of "vivezas" and Spanish? to deal with a private owner . Many alter the Odometer in Warnes for a few hundred pesos. Plus what guarantee can you get from a private party? Here today Gone tomorrow? Prior violations records paid? Validity of titles and other documents? Ownership papers Legal no pending liabilities? Official Reliable Maintenance Records?

Not for me
Thank you

If you live in the USA, you will find that nothing like this, in Argentina, is simple or fast. You can usually do what you want, but one stop shopping is seldom very one stop. I havent bought a car, but having owned property here, visited my share of government offices, police stations (for proof of address) banks, and worked with lawyers and escritorios, my advice is bite the bullet, rent the car, and then buy the vehicle you want AFTER you are settled in San Martin.
Thank you
I have purchased vehicles as a tourist, with passport only, from a major dealership and bought insurance form Zurich, La Caja insurance and other brokers. Dealers are more than eager to sell also insurance...! Dealers give out the forms to be submitted to AFIP, in Av, Carlos Pellegrini Office a 10 min.

Not advisable for a recently arrived tourist with limited local knowledge of "vivezas" and Spanish? to deal with a private owner . Many alter the Odometer in Warnes for a few hundred pesos. Plus what guarantee can you get from a private party? Here today Gone tomorrow? Prior violations records paid? Validity of titles and other documents? Ownership papers Legal no pending liabilities? Official Reliable Maintenance Records?

Not for me
Hi Rich, do you have whatsapp ? my number cell is 13022422000 Kevin Thank you

Can someone with a tourist visa buy and car and drive it legally w/o Blue Card or DNI ? If I pay cash USD can I get in and out of a car dealer in a couple hours ? Or is this a joke ?
If you are thinking about buying a new car and know the make and model and amenities you want, you could probably contact the dealers here that can get what you want before you arrive. You may need to do some conference calls with the help of someone here that speaks fluent Spanish.. Bringing enough money with you to do that may be a problem, if you can buy it with a credit or debit card, that would probably be better, depending on what conversion rate you get and if you have to pay fees to your bank. You will probably be very tired when you arrive and even if you can buy the car on the first day, you will probably be mentally drained by the time you drive away and should at least spend the night in Buenos Aires.Then plan on spending at least another night at a hotel between here and San Martin de los Andes. If it's possible to buy the car with cuotas, with the option to pay everything off early, that might be a good plan. Don't know if leasing with on option to buy is available, but if it is that might be a good idea also.

A couple oh hours? maybe things have changed and they can get the car you choose ready and waxed when you arrive. If they accept the CC payment in advance over the phone?? Prepare temporary plates on a new car? Plus all the needed title paperwork
When I bought the cars I had to be register with the AFIP office filling a form in person with a copy of the passport ..!
You can drive freely within Argentina on your Valid US drivers license.

PS: Drive a Rental to San Martin and once there decide if you want to buy a car..! Or stay a few days in BA..!

If you are thinking about buying a new car and know the make and model and amenities you want, you could probably contact the dealers here that can get what you want before you arrive. You may need to do some conference calls with the help of someone here that speaks fluent Spanish.. Bringing enough money with you to do that may be a problem, if you can buy it with a credit or debit card, that would probably be better, depending on what conversion rate you get and if you have to pay fees to your bank. You will probably be very tired when you arrive and even if you can buy the car on the first day, you will probably be mentally drained by the time you drive away and should at least spend the night in Buenos Aires.Then plan on spending at least another night at a hotel between here and San Martin de los Andes. If it's possible to buy the car with cuotas, with the option to pay everything off early, that might be a good plan. Don't know if leasing with on option to buy is available, but if it is that might be a good idea also.
Thank you

You can drive a car in Argentina with a foreign driver's license, plus an international permit, available by mail from AAA in the USA.

The way it works, you pay for the car, then wait for two or three days while the paperwork is processed.

Back