Buying a gun...

Markgeezer said:
Anyone know the "law" about shooting to kill... after they have entered your property, and or after they have damaged your property while entering (breaking an entry), regardless of whatever else they attempt, as I understand it these are two very different categories. Also whats the score with defending property and family when using knives/machetes...is their any issue over the blade length ?

Not a legal eagle, but my understanding is that you are only allowed to use proportional force to defend yourself. Shooting someone who is either unarmed or only carrying a knife could land you in trouble, as your use of force could be condemned as being disproportionate.

I've been told many houses keep two guns. One registered, one unregistered. The logic being, that in the event of a break in, if you fatally shoot your intruder you can plant an unregistered gun on them and claim self defence.

jp said:
Not a legal eagle, but my understanding is that you are only allowed to use proportional force to defend yourself. Shooting someone who is either unarmed or only carrying a knife could land you in trouble, as your use of force could be condemned as being disproportionate.

I've been told many houses keep two guns. One registered, one unregistered. The logic being, that in the event of a break in, if you fatally shoot your intruder you can plant an unregistered gun on them and claim self defence.

Nothing to disagree with here. Self defense may be 100% legal when confronted by an armed intruder.;)

Just hope his family sees it that way.:mad:

Hi I am relatively new to BA and am looking for someone togo shooting with.

I am a member at Tiro Federal but finding it difficult as my spanish is very poor!

I d'ont have a permit as I dont have residency yet.

Shot Practical Rifle in UK but interested in pistol shooting here

regards

Dave

Hi Dave,

I might be able to put you in contact with people that shoot mini-rifle at TFABA (Libertador) I know a few.
Also if you want/need an instructor in order to get you range qualified -IPSC- (first must do pistol, then rifle AFAIK) I can help.
They're not to be found at Centenario but a little further in the Club.

To be able to use the range -static lines - at Centenario, you must attend a short course. Have you done that already? To do dynamic type shoting there's more requirements.
There's no IDPA at TFABA but there's FBI and IPSC.

Unfortunately TFABA went out of my price range, now I favor Lomas. Still have a bunch of friends and contacts there, though.

At your service.

Thanks

I have done the short course and can now shoot 22lr pistols but realy only interested in large calibre pistol. Have been told after joining that cant shoot above 22 without a certificate.

What are the costs at lomas? where is it and do they have 9mm pistols that can be borrowed or rented?

thanks

Dave

livinginba said:
Thanks

What are the costs at lomas? where is it and do they have 9mm pistols that can be borrowed or rented?

thanks

Dave

Lomas is a shithole in the saaaf Dave.
Yes, you can rent a 9milli off the police for a decent price, not too many questions asked !

livinginba said:
Thanks

I have done the short course and can now shoot 22lr pistols but realy only interested in large calibre pistol. Have been told after joining that cant shoot above 22 without a certificate.

thanks

Dave

That caliber certificate sounds like absolute BS, never heard of it. Will ask around, though.

You must be qualified to do dynamic type shooting (fields - canchas - as opposed to lines) but I can get you in touch with the right instructor to do the training. She's a former national champion. Top notch, almost sure she can handle english speaking students BUT I'm certain her english is poor. I assure it won't matter with her.

You can rent a gun at TFABA, go to the LGS and ask "Quique", the manager. Maybe (not sure anymore) you can rent them at Centenario as well.

At Lomas they rent 9mm pistols at the closed range - Escuelita.

NOTE: If you are IPSC/Dynamic shooting qualified at one institution/range (Tiro Federal) you are ONLY authorized to use their open ranges, not all over the country. They will honor that qualification only when taking part in a tournament. Otherwise you must get qualified in as many ranges as you go practice to avoid trouble.

TFLZ is $140 a month. It is in zona sur and you better have a car to get there. Not public transportation friendly. Tiro Federal de La Plata is also nice. If you need introductions I can also help you.

http://www.tflz.org.ar/

I also used to think that TFLZ was a shithole but the Club has improved quite a lot and they're working on it. Can't compare with Nuñez but it is a nice place, even more so when you start making friends, TFABA is the ultimate snob club. Gallons of bad blood between members and too much club politics involved at each sector of the club.

Iznogud said:
That caliber certificate sounds like absolute BS, never heard of it. Will ask around, though.

You must be qualified to do dynamic type shooting (fields - canchas - as opposed to lines) but I can get you in touch with the right instructor to do the training. She's a former national champion. Top notch, almost sure she can handle english speaking students BUT I'm certain her english is poor. I assure it won't matter with her.

You can rent a gun at TFABA, go to the LGS and ask "Quique", the manager. Maybe (not sure anymore) you can rent them at Centenario as well.

At Lomas they rent 9mm pistols at the closed range - Escuelita.

NOTE: If you are IPSC/Dynamic shooting qualified at one institution/range (Tiro Federal) you are ONLY authorized to use their open ranges, not all over the country. They will honor that qualification only when taking part in a tournament. Otherwise you must get qualified in as many ranges as you go practice to avoid trouble.

TFLZ is $140 a month. It is in zona sur and you better have a car to get there. Not public transportation friendly. Tiro Federal de La Plata is also nice. If you need introductions I can also help you.

http://www.tflz.org.ar/

I also used to think that TFLZ was a shithole but the Club has improved quite a lot and they're working on it. Can't compare with Nuñez but it is a nice place, even more so when you start making friends, TFABA is the ultimate snob club. Gallons of bad blood between members and too much club politics involved at each sector of the club.

Many thanks it would be great if you could put me in touch with the instructor. If you could explain that I want to be able do practical pistol that would be great. At the moment I don't have a car here so TFLZ would be to difficult. TFA is relatively easy for me to get to.

Many Thanks Dave

Does anyone know the avg price for 9mm?

It seems they only carry one brand - I dont see any Berettas, Glocks, Remingtons, etc

Also, can the public buy 30.06 or .308 single bolt rifles?
8, 12 or 20 gauge shotguns?

Back