Buying A New Car - Advice

charlieboy

Registered
Hi everyone -

I have followed this forum for sometime and found a lot of useful info on here but this is my first post.

I am considering buying a new car. My visa situation is just that of a tourist (90 days). I would be buying the car cash from a dealer (new car).

Has anyone on here any idea of the obstacles I may come across in my quest to buy the car? insurance etc.

Do I need any official paperwork from my embassy etc?

I am sure I have left out a lot of info which may help you help me, but, I am happy to answer any questions.

Has anyone been through the process in a similar situation?

All help very is very much appreciated. I would much rather have as much info as possible before I stumble into the local dealer with a pocket flu of cash.

Thanks for taking the time to help

Hi everyone -

I have followed this forum for sometime and found a lot of useful info on here but this is my first post.

I am considering buying a new car. My visa situation is just that of a tourist (90 days). I would be buying the car cash from a dealer (new car).

Has anyone on here any idea of the obstacles I may come across in my quest to buy the car? insurance etc.

I am sure I have left out a lot of info which may help you help me, but, I am happy to answer any questions.

All help very is very much appreciated. I would much rather have as much info as possible before I stumble into the local dealer with a pocket flu of cash.

One big problem with any car for a non-resident: Argentina considers it a "vehículo nacional," which non-residents cannot take out of the country. I met one family in Chile who bought a 4WD in Bariloche, then had to have the seller's brother drive it across the border for them on a power-of-attorney, then bought him a ticket back to Argentina.

Hi everyone -

the advice is not to buy one, unless you have to.

It's better to buy a car in Chile, which has far fewer restrictions than Argentina does.

There are many threads full of info.
To make it short go to Dietrich Dealership in Honduras , Palermo. They will tell you the papers you need to provide, they take care of everything even new license plates..!! You just deposit like $2000 to secure the car, and deposit the total amount in their bank account. They will call you when its ready...! I had no problems there.

http://www.onlinedie...h.com/contacto/

PALERMO VIEJO
Av. Honduras 4210 | 5353.6100
Ciudad de Buenos Aires
: Honduras y Gascón

One big problem with any car for a non-resident: Argentina considers it a "vehículo nacional," which non-residents cannot take out of the country. I met one family in Chile who bought a 4WD in Bariloche, then had to have the seller's brother drive it across the border for them on a power-of-attorney, then bought him a ticket back to Argentina.

How recent is your info I want to travel abroad?? It has been discussed extensively on this board ... that Now is possible for non-residents to exit the country on an Argentinean plate vehicle...???

How recent is your info I want to travel abroad?? It has been discussed extensively on this board ... that Now is possible for non-residents to exit the country on an Argentinean plate vehicle...???

I would consult with a customs broker first. I am relatively new on this board, but know several people who have had such problems. Rental cars are a different option, of course, or a car loaned by someone. The issue is whether the vehicle belongs to you - if it doesn't, you cross the border; if it does, you can't.

I would consult with a customs broker first. I am relatively new on this board, but know several people who have had such problems. Rental cars are a different option, of course, or a car loaned by someone. The issue is whether the vehicle belongs to you - if it doesn't, you cross the border; if it does, you can't.

This instance you mention, with the Bariloche Chilean family when did it happen?
You mean a loaned car, IF you have a Cedula Azul? where the owner authorizes you to drive it? A rental ? Most Rentals do not allow to drive out of the country?
thanks!

This instance you mention, with the Bariloche Chilean family when did it happen?
You mean a loaned car, IF you have a Cedula Azul? where the owner authorizes you to drive it? A rental ? Most Rentals do not allow to drive out of the country?
thanks!

It was a Swiss family. Chileans, as I understand it, cannot take an Argentine car into Chile. To take a rental or loaned car out of the country, you need a poder (power-of-attorney) from the owner. In Southern Patagonia, especially, it's common to take vehicles across the border. I might add that I have taken out a vehicle with a poder from my father-in-law.

Back