Buying A Plane Ticket In Cash (Blue Pesos) To Save Money?

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum -- thank you for the great resources! Would it be possible to purchase a plane ticket (either direct from an airline office or through a travel agent) in pesos (purchased with blue dollars) in order to save significant money on a flight? What problems might one encounter who attempts to reduce the excessive cost of a one-way ticket to the USA by purchasing a flight in this manner?

(Also, any other ideas for purchasing a one-way ticket to the USA from Argentina or Chile without breaking the bank.)

Thanks so much!
Anthony

Yes. Even more - you can only pay in pesos, they can't accept USD. I just bought a ticket to Europe, in AirFrance headquaters (San Martin/Corrientes) and paid in pesos.

http://www.ambito.com/diario/noticia.asp?id=691823

Looks like this gravy train is just about done.

you have also aerolineas arg. official sales in the corner of av congreso and Av Cabildo this is belgrano
cash or credit card.

Just to give an update n the situation.
I reserved a ticket on the US AA site from DUS to ORD(stopover) then ORD to EZE(via MIA) returning EZE to FRA(via DFW) which priced out at $828.12. I then went down to the AA office on Santa Fe, and paid in cash(Pesos), the clerk had to call the rate desk to recalculate the fair into Pesos which he first said was going to be 5,701 , but after examining my passport and counting the days since my last entry, he recalculated it at 4,720.80, which equals an exchange rate of 5.7 which is what I paid.

Great news.....!!! one can purchase an airline ticket payable in pesos
  • not originating in Argentina,
  • paying at official rate,
  • without the 20 % surcharge....
  • Wow,,,!!!
What date was this ticket for ?? the fare seems very very attractive....!!, with a stopover in ORD. Worth looking into

Cool... So it's possible to buy a Montevideo-Buenos Aires-Paris and pay in pesos, right? Kind of stupid going to Montevideo to take the plane & come back for a stop at Bs As but well...

What is the significance of "counting the days since my last entry" in your passport have to do with the pricing?

What is the significance of "counting the days since my last entry" in your passport have to do with the pricing?
He didn't explain it, but my assumption is that if you are here on a tourist visa, and have not overstayed that(hence counting the days since your last entry), then you are considered a non resident for tax purposes, and since the 20% surcharge is technically a income tax retention, then if you are a non resident for tax purposes, they don't collect it.

Cool... So it's possible to buy a Montevideo-Buenos Aires-Paris and pay in pesos, right? Kind of stupid going to Montevideo to take the plane & come back for a stop at Bs As but well...
I think it would be with AA if they flew that route, but with AF I don't know.

Would you fly long distance with an Airline that is losing millions each day... not sure about mgmt and operational capabilities

Good point -- that's something to consider, starlucia.

A lot of this discussion surrounds aerolineas argentinas, but their flights seem to be more expensive than the US carriers/other Latin American carriers (eg TACA)-- does anyone know if you could pay in pesos at the TACA office? Or the Lan office? American?

Thanks!

Back