Buying A Used Car,and The Legalities?

johnw100

Registered
Hi All

Just found a 2 year old used car we`d like to buy, we currently have one that we`re going to sell to a dealer in the next few days to get the funds. The car owner is a real pressure sales person, saying she has people coming later to pay for the car (not turning up, surprisingly), that she needs to get the money tomorrow as she has a new car waiting for her and theyre going to take her off the waiting list,etc,etc. Bullshit basically.

Shes asking for $100,000 pesos today and the rest $80,000 tomorrow and to meet at a notary to do the paperwork. Now i`ve bought and sold many cars back home in the UK and i`m not giving up that much money without the documents and keys in my hands. I dont think i even want to five her $50 deposit until we have sold our car and can give the full amount.
But what are the legal side of doing this transaction like this here? My wife is Argentine and bought our original car for straight cash from a dealer. But as this person is stretching the truth starting to not trust her and want to make sure we`re covered if things go wrong. The car also has a year left on the manufacture warranty.

Anyone have experience of buying selling used cars would be interested to know.

Thanks alot

I wouldn't part with that kind of money without being 100% certain everything was a OK with the car you're going to buy. I'd want to be 110% certain given the way the woman is behaving.

Tell her you will buy it if you can bring a mechanic over to look it over and make sure it is fine. If she says no, walk away. If she agrees, then you either bring the mechanic or go yourself and make a bit of a show of checking a few things out. Advanced tyre kicking. I wouldn't be rushed into to it.

Sometimes the best move on these people is to walk away and just keep walking. Too many car scams here to chance this one and there is no CarFax.

Cash advances on a Promise to sell... No way, unless under a notary public document for the down payment, and delivery terms. Besides some mechanics check cars for sale for a few hundred pesos. !!

Thanks, no we`ve said we`ll wait until we have the full cash and pay for it in one go. If not then we`ll walk away, plenty more fish in the sea as it were.

Also,how does it work with the documentation here. In the uk, you get a log book which is an official registration document for the car, the seller signs it and gives a strip to the buyer and then the seller has to send the form off to say its been sold. A few weeks later the seller receives an updated document with their name and address on it.
I`m sure here it involves notarys, police, goverment officials, doctors,distant cousins,etc,etc

Only buy from a Dealership like Dietrich.com they will do all the title transfer check for unpaid fines or license plate payment due. You put down a small amount $2000 reservation fee and when you deposit the full amount they will deliver the paparework. You get 6 months warranty and insurance if needed at a discount ,.

http://www.onlinedietrich.com/usados/

It's not all that complicated John.
I simply went to the local vehicle registry office in Olivos with the vehicle documents of which there will be many, filled out the forms, paid the fee which can be hefty, and then returned maybe a week or ten days later to receive the new registration doc.
It starts to get a bit more complicated if you are buying a car that's registered in another province from where you live.
For example, when I bought the bike, it was registered in CABA and I live in Olivos. It was certainly a heavenly runaround getting that sorted.
Keep an eye out for where the car is registered or radicado.

I would run as fast as I can from this seller. Sounds over the top. Plenty of cars out there. Gringoboy is correct , not difficult to transfer. Best to do it with the seller , at the registro. They have to prove there are no outstanding tickets and the vehicle numbers match.

With a huge devaluation and economic catastrophe coming soon , you could wait and get a better deal from some desperate loser who needs to cash out asap. Just saying.........

ok thanks. So best goto the registro with the seller and then check for any outstanding tickets,etc.
Going to see how it goes with this car, it was a good price and the equipment levels are what we wanted. I know quite a bit about cars so will check it out properly before handing over any cash.

ok thanks. So best goto the registro with the seller and then check for any outstanding tickets,etc.
Going to see how it goes with this car, it was a good price and the equipment levels are what we wanted. I know quite a bit about cars so will check it out properly before handing over any cash.

You can find this info online if you have the license plate number (don't remember exactly but I checked the car I bought that way, likely the DNRA site = lack of time to find it again).

Back