Buying A Used Car,and The Legalities?

Boy is it tough buying and selling cars here. Now the dealer that said he`d buy our car on monday and asked us to wait 48 hours is no longer going to buy our car. The usual "mas tarde" or "Mañana" i`ll let you know. So hes wasted our time,also the people who have the honda cr-v we were going to buy. So we looked for a backup plan and found a Toyota Rav4 which is a year older 2010 but he would accept our car as part exchange. But hes in another province nearby and said he`ll travel to our house as he needs to buy a new car by friday because it`ll get 50% tax after that. But it turns out he doesnt have the official documents, which takes 48 hours to aquire. I`m saying to my wife I think everything is based on bullshit, why would you be desperate to sell your car but not have the documentation?
Is this normal? or are we paranoid?

Boy is it tough buying and selling cars here. Now the dealer that said he`d buy our car on monday and asked us to wait 48 hours is no longer going to buy our car. The usual "mas tarde" or "Mañana" i`ll let you know. So hes wasted our time,also the people who have the honda cr-v we were going to buy. So we looked for a backup plan and found a Toyota Rav4 which is a year older 2010 but he would accept our car as part exchange. But hes in another province nearby and said he`ll travel to our house as he needs to buy a new car by friday because it`ll get 50% tax after that. But it turns out he doesnt have the official documents, which takes 48 hours to aquire. I`m saying to my wife I think everything is based on bullshit, why would you be desperate to sell your car but not have the documentation?

John , it is normal and there is nothing wrong with being paranoid...............

John, be very very careful.
My father in law has been in the car business for about 40 years and still works in it.
We're selling our car, an Ecosport 4x4 and we have a call from someone 'in a hurry' to buy it, who said they would catch a bus from Rosario cash in hand.
I agreed to meet him and dad in law insisted on coming to the house to observe.
The bloke never turned up, but there are many stories around of people needing to do things in a hurry and the only winner is always going to be them.

John, be very very careful.
My father in law has been in the car business for about 40 years and still works in it.
We're selling our car, an Ecosport 4x4 and we have a call from someone 'in a hurry' to buy it, who said they would catch a bus from Rosario cash in hand.
I agreed to meet him and dad in law insisted on coming to the house to observe.
The bloke never turned up, but there are many stories around of people needing to do things in a hurry and the only winner is always going to be them.

ok thanks. Yes I think its stories cooked up to try to speed things up. Just finding you cant trust anyone private or dealers here, talk is very cheap.
btw, what are you replacing the EcoSport with? We did look at getting a new one but just found the luggage space to small. My wife insists on an automatic so finding out choices
limited.

Only deal with a major dealership like Auto minuto o Dietrich usados

One problem with doing all the title stuff yourself is making sure the title is really clear. The car dealerships like Rich One mentions do it all for you. It was my experience when buying mine that I couldn't really find any better deal from a private person (at least on average) than I could from a dealership, unlike in the States where the difference can be huge. But at a reputable dealer you can be sure the car you get will be all yours.

I ended up buying mine from a Renault dealership on Cordoba near Callo (not Callao) that sold both new and used cars. Had no problems whatsoever.

And BTW - the whole "más tarde" or "mañana" that continues ad infinitum is what is called an "Argentine 'no'". For whatever reason, they don't actually like to say "no" but the result is the same...

John we will be selling our car in a few months time if you are still looking then! 2012 Ford focus 2lt ghia and automatic. It's great, well looked after, full service history and low km and loads of boot space.

Back