Buying Airplane Tickets In Pesos (At Right Rate)

I think GMXam had the difference in subsided price in mind, I understood it that way. I want to pay the price for foreigners, because for me is logical, that tourists can't and shouldn't have government aid for flights (or anyone, but since it's there, I'm going to use it).

I just wanted confirmation that is possible to pay in office in pesos, since on the website I couldn't find this option. I don't want to ask my parents to buy their tickets and I certainly don't want to use my foreign cc :) That's all.

I think GMXam had the difference in subsided price in mind, I understood it that way. I want to pay the price for foreigners, because for me is logical, that tourists can't and shouldn't have government aid for flights (or anyone, but since it's there, I'm going to use it).

I just wanted confirmation that is possible to pay in office in pesos, since on the website I couldn't find this option. I don't want to ask my parents to buy their tickets and I certainly don't want to use my foreign cc :) That's all.

Even on AeroCámpora, everybody should pay the market price.

Correct, the foreign website will offer the price in dollars (useless) and the local website will offer prices applicable for locals (equally useless).

At an office or any agency (..ahem! :)) you will be able to purchase the correct fare, in pesos, with no 35% markup.

There is no 30% fee for pesos when it comes to domestic flights. Domestic fares are actually in pesos (rather than US dollars and then converted to pesos) so there is no purchase of dollars against which to charge 35%. Paying in cash should cost no more than a local buying a ticket at the same fare.

What there is is that there are certain fares which are subsidized by the government and as such are only available for residents. If a non-resident pays such a fare and the airline catches on (and cares), the passenger could be denied boarding, or made to pay the difference between what they paid and the cheapest available non-resident fare.

I know of a lot of cases where that didn't happen and the passenger traveled without issue, but one should certainly know of the possibility of problems arising.

Per the purchaser of the two tickets, they found tickets online, the price difference in pesos (both online and in the office were in quotes in pesos) was approx 30%, they asked the agent why and were told that prices are this way if they want to pay in cash and do not have a DNI. Maybe the agent isn't as fully informed as those on this forum...really not that hard to believe...and just gave this as an answer to get the extranjeros out of the office quicker. Who knows. Does it really matter what it's called on this forum? It's a approx 30% price difference and the airline staff don't even have a standardized term for what to call it when answering to customer inquiries.

Last year, I posted about other friends who were able to get the same rate at the airline office on Corrientes as what was online and pay in pesos without a DNI. Unfortunately for them, they checked baggage and had to pay an extra approx 30% for their tickets. So, if there is no "fee", maybe that's where the real definition lies on how they reference the charge at the baggage/check-in counter when charging the approx 30% whatever you want to call it.

Thanks for that. I have no idea what they call it, but there is a difference. And, really, who cares what they call it. Your question was clear.

Per the purchaser of the two tickets, they found tickets online, the price difference in pesos (both online and in the office were in quotes in pesos) was approx 30%, they asked the agent why and were told that prices are this way if they want to pay in cash and do not have a DNI. Maybe the agent isn't as fully informed as those on this forum...really not that hard to believe...and just gave this as an answer to get the extranjeros out of the office quicker. Who knows. Does it really matter what it's called on this forum? It's a approx 30% price difference and the airline staff don't even have a standardized term for what to call it when answering to customer inquiries.

Last year, I posted about other friends who were able to get the same rate at the airline office on Corrientes as what was online and pay in pesos without a DNI. Unfortunately for them, they checked baggage and had to pay an extra approx 30% for their tickets. So, if there is no "fee", maybe that's where the real definition lies on how they reference the charge at the baggage/check-in counter when charging the approx 30% whatever you want to call it.

The only way I can get this to make any actual sense is assuming the difference between the cheapest available fare (at the time, for that particular flight) for locals or foreigners was about 30%. Otherwise this 30% business sounds like a total crock.

I repeat: the only difference between foreigners and locals is the availability of some cheaper fares. If the cheaper seats on a given flight are sold out, locals and foreigners will pay exactly the same*.

Here's an example of the rules display for one of the subsidized fares:

15.SALES RESTRICTIONS
FARE RULE
SALES ARE RESTRICTED TO PERMANENT RESIDENTS OF THE
ORIGIN COUNTRY.
TICKETS MAY ONLY BE SOLD IN ARGENTINA.
NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
///
VENTA SOLO EN ARGENTINA Y A RESIDENTES DEL
PAIS DE ORIGEN .
///

Any fare that doesn't have this text attached to it, the price is identical for everyone.

*On Aerolineas Argentinas this is always so; on LAN it can sometimes be a tad more complicated.

Short resume:
I finally bought tickets at lan office. It was OK, all were slightly cheaper on the website, but overall I am satisfied.

The problem was, when I first came to lan office, they calculated extremely high prices (at least 25%) comparing to website. I went to aerolineas, where they gave me even more expensive prices,for residents and especially for foreigners, which cost like paying dólar blue price on already more expensive ticket.

Finally I went back to lan, and pleasant employee calculated normal prices, slightly higher than official dólar exchange rate and after 2 hours in the office, I had my tickets. In comparison, for one ticket in aerolineas I should pay 5100p,in lan I paid 3900.when you are buying 10 tickets difference is huge.

My advice is to go at least 2 times to the office, to get normal price. Seems there are no rules :)

Back