Buying Health Insurance Online

newtraderoute

Registered
I am wondering how people are dealing with health insurance in BA. We have our US health insurance. However it doesn't cover anything there. We are there between 3-5 months a year when possible.We want to be covered for illness, covid etc but not necessarily trip insurance.Can we buy Osde or similar online before leaving ? or do we have to go w tourist trip insurance aka Alliance etc? Do we buy as needed by the months we are there or by the year.I believe they will ask when we enter.
Thanks in advance-

To be clear - we live there part time and would be going back and forth to the US-that is in normal times but as we will e ter as tourists zi brlieve they are requiring health insurance. Thanks-

Regular health insurance is intended to be used full time. Depending on the company, there may be a provision to put it on hold for some time and then resume it, but I guess this is for situations when somebody goes to Europe for a couple of years with an intention to return to the Argentina permanently. So, I doubt they will try to accommodate your traveling pattern.

It may be possible to cancel and resume your policy every six months, but depending on your age, they probably will make it increasingly difficult: raise premiums, send you to do a medical exam/tests, etc.

I don't think any insurance will sign you online (or by the phone, for that matter). There are some local companies that do it for young people nowadays, but in case of a foreigner, they don't have access to your medical history, and it is a major risk for them.

So, my suggestion is: use your travel insurance, come here and look at your options.

For about U$90 month you can get a basic Swiss medical plan and be covered.
Just pay it all year.
Also amex covers you if 100+ miles from home, check your card, might be an option for a backup.

Regular health insurance is intended to be used full time. Depending on the company, there may be a provision to put it on hold for some time and then resume it, but I guess this is for situations when somebody goes to Europe for a couple of years with an intention to return to the Argentina permanently. So, I doubt they will try to accommodate your traveling pattern.

It may be possible to cancel and resume your policy every six months, but depending on your age, they probably will make it increasingly difficult: raise premiums, send you to do a medical exam/tests, etc.

I don't think any insurance will sign you online (or by the phone, for that matter). There are some local companies that do it for young people nowadays, but in case of a foreigner, they don't have access to your medical history, and it is a major risk for them.

So, my suggestion is: use your travel insurance, come here and look at your options.
For about U$90 month you can get a basic Swiss medical plan and be covered.
Just pay it all year.
Also amex covers you if 100+ miles from home, check your card, might be an option for a backup.
Thank you That sounds like a good option- the quote for Alliance was 200$ a month-of course it cover trip cancellation etc .

In reply...you do not mention your age nor nationality. So? Self-insuring is one great way to do it in Argentina. You can get a new head for $7000. Cash. And...check out Berkshire Hathaway emergency travel plans as you need insurance to enter the country,....I think. I just bought one. (availability of local plans can depend on resident status and it is all weird...and sometimes not so cheap). If I did it right....the plan covers 100% of accident and emergency medical as PRIMARY insurance....not secondary ....not long term medical like a Kaiser plan....you buy for the visits you need for about $90 a month, for me being 76 years old......and paying for the plans down here, for my needs, seems dumb. Some run from $350 to $600 per month.

Last edited:
To be clear- we are specifically looking to satisfy the argentine government requirement for Covid insurance. Self Insurance, healthy living, credit card plans, and Swiss medical all have their place, but none are appropriate to show to the gate agent before you board, or migraciones at EZE.

To be clear- we are specifically looking to satisfy the argentine government requirement for Covid insurance. Self Insurance, healthy living, credit card plans, and Swiss medical all have their place, but none are appropriate to show to the gate agent before you board, or migraciones at EZE.

Where can I find these requirements online?

Buying SMG up front probably serves well. Plus you can get all your dental work done here on the cheap side.

Back