Buying plane tickets - need return in three months?

BAwithkids

Registered
I've seen a number of posts about the need to have a return ticket in order to get on a flight to BA. That's not a problem for us, as we do plan to come back to the US! However, I'm wondering if the ticket has to show a return within the allotted 90 days for the tourist visa, or if a ticket that was, say, nine months later would be seen as just fine... Either way, we're going to have to pay to change the return date, but I'd rather wait to make the change until closer to when we plan to return.

Thanks!

It was no problem for us to have a plane ticket with a return date of 6 months plus.

I recently boarded an Aerolineas flight with a return date almost 5 months away. The check-in agent didn't mention it at all.

last year they asked me for a ticket when boarding in spain (only once in 3 different trips). So i bought the cheapest refundable one and got the money back at ezeiza upon arrival

We've discussed this before so it should be fairly easy to find recent threads on this topic. Basicly the problem isn't Argentina, the problem is with certain airlines enforcing their own 'return ticket dated within 3 months' policy. The work-around is to fly with an airline that doesn't do this.

elhombresinnombre said:
We've discussed this before so it should be fairly easy to find recent threads on this topic. Basicly the problem isn't Argentina, the problem is with certain airlines enforcing their own 'return ticket dated within 3 months' policy. The work-around is to fly with an airline that doesn't do this.

Thanks for the post. I've read a number of threads on this, and what I've read has been more about the need to have ANY return ticket, vs the need for one within 90 days. I'll try another search...

I've flown to BA in the last year 3 times, all one-way (departing from Colombia, Peru, and the US).

You can also buy a round-trip ticket for 90 days and then cancel your return home ticket. You are able to reclaim the return ticket and fly anytime within one year of your departing flight date. If its not used within the year you lose it.

RobinsonGO said:
You can also buy a round-trip ticket for 90 days and then cancel your return home ticket. You are able to reclaim the return ticket and fly anytime within one year of your departing flight date. If its not used within the year you lose it.

This is true for some airlines and some tickets but not all. Some tickets - especially the cheaper ones - may be sold on the basis of no cancellation, no change, no refund and others will only make alterations for a hefty fee. As always, check carefully before you buy

Back