Cafes where young people/pretty girls hang out?

polostar88 said:
I like how an innocent question has turned into an opportunity for the lunatics here to have hysterical meltdowns... :rolleyes:

Hah! It's every thread, no matter what the topic. Some serious loons here at BAExpats.org.

polostar88 said:
Overall I'd say the girls in BA are prettier, but much more frigid and neurotic than the Brazilian girls.

What?! Crazy talk. Have you spent much time in the south of Brazil? There's a reason why so many supermodels get plucked out of there. There are some ridiculously gorgeous women in southern Brazil. And they tend to take great care of themselves. So many Argentine women past 25 or so seem to have a weathered look about them. Lots of cigarettes and eating disorders and bad diets and air pollution and so forth in Argentina. Argentines seem to age so fast.

In any case, I think what you're looking for (people in, say, their 20s, including hot girls, hanging around someplace during the day) tends to happen at "bars" (those places where people never actually go up to a bar but, instead, sit with a group of people they already know at a table and order bottles of beer), not cafes. In any case, any type of bar or cafe that you go to in the afternoon is probably not going to be a great place to meet people. Argentines don't tend to go too far out of their way to expand their social circle (there's a recent threat about this here at BAExpats.org). You're probably going to mostly find groups of people who go out together every day and sit at tables and bore each other with the same conversations over and over again.

polostar88 said:
To get back to the point, does anyone know of cafes that are popular with a younger clientele? Volta and many of BA's finest places seem exclusively for old people...

Thanks to the posters who suggested Starbucks I guess it's OK....what about the cafes near universities? Any suggestions?

Is it possible that the expats here are not acquainted with many cafes? I can give descriptions of at least a dozen I know quite well.

Well you can try Plaza Serrano, maybe there are a lot small caffes there. Or some shopping? like Dot?

polostar88 said:
In Tokyo you can go to any number of Starbucks or cafes during the day and it's absolutely full of young people and hot girls hanging out, etc.; it's nice to see. Here every cafe I go to, Volta, etc., it's only full of old people and the occasional family with very small kids. Anyone know a place where younger people hang out in cafes during the day?

Definitely what you are looking for is at Café Orleans as suggested or Confitería EXEDRA for more straight forward go to Santa Fe 1707 (third floor), push the buzzer, just say “Hello” in English and they will unlock the door immediately.

Bon Appetit!

Aside of the easy jokes (sorry, I started.. :cool:), and while I am not an expert at picking up pendejas (wish I was :p ), the problem here might be that many girls in their early 20s have the same boyfriend -usually the first one in their sentimental life- since they were 15/16.
When they become emotionally more mature, it's possible that they change though.
It's not always the case but it's quite frequent so it might add to the difficulty.

It's quite possible that if you hang around into a few universities that you find flyers announcing student parties : I would start there

ssr said:
Hah! It's every thread, no matter what the topic. Some serious loons here at BAExpats.org.

What?! Crazy talk. Have you spent much time in the south of Brazil? There's a reason why so many supermodels get plucked out of there. There are some ridiculously gorgeous women in southern Brazil. And they tend to take great care of themselves. So many Argentine women past 25 or so seem to have a weathered look about them. Lots of cigarettes and eating disorders and bad diets and air pollution and so forth in Argentina. Argentines seem to age so fast.

In any case, I think what you're looking for (people in, say, their 20s, including hot girls, hanging around someplace during the day) tends to happen at "bars" (those places where people never actually go up to a bar but, instead, sit with a group of people they already know at a table and order bottles of beer), not cafes. In any case, any type of bar or cafe that you go to in the afternoon is probably not going to be a great place to meet people. Argentines don't tend to go too far out of their way to expand their social circle (there's a recent threat about this here at BAExpats.org). You're probably going to mostly find groups of people who go out together every day and sit at tables and bore each other with the same conversations over and over again.

I agree with you, south Brazil is model-bonanza :D and even in Rio you can find stunning girls but I was trying to be nice to Argentina :p ...also it IS true that overall or on average you're more likely to find a pretty girl in Argentina than in Brazil and that the ones in BA definitely do have some elegance, style, etc, though what you say is also true I see a lot of girls here who past a certain age look weathered. Neuroticism, etc.

I've figured out what you said about bars but the thing is I'm not looking for places to pick up girls in general....I like to work or read in cafes during the day and would prefer to be around people my own age and to look at pretty girls rather than to be around very old people and small kids. In Tokyo it's a pleasure to work in a Starbucks you see the hottest girls around, etc., here in the nice cafes it's just old ladies and so on. I'm sure that pretty girls also go out to have coffee, no?

French jurist said:
Aside of the easy jokes (sorry, I started.. :cool:), and while I am not an expert at picking up pendejas (wish I was :p ), the problem here might be that many girls in their early 20s have the same boyfriend -usually the first one in their sentimental life- since they were 15/16.
When they become emotionally more mature, it's possible that they change though.
It's not always the case but it's quite frequent so it might add to the difficulty.

It's quite possible that if you hang around into a few universities that you find flyers announcing student parties : I would start there

Ahh...but look Im not looking for party invitations, bars, etc.; really just looking for places where younger people go out to have coffee during the day because the nice cafes in BA are all full of old people. I enjoy looking at pretty girls in between reading, working, etc.

As I posted once before, any confiteria near a university will do.

You are right, I don't know too many cafes that meet your criteria. When I do go to a cafe I also find they are filled with old people. I imagine it's that the old people have time & money where the young don't.

In Japan at that age they seem to have money to burn on coffee and hanging out with friends. I don't it's the same with people in their 20s here.

steveinbsas said:
Hey cabra!

Are you the angry little goat that also wrote this:

It sure sounds just like you.

Remember my resopnse?

And I'm not talking about prostitutes!

I'm talking about beautiful women half my age...here...in Argentina.

If anyone is being exploited, its me.

Quite happily, I must say.

If the girlie bars offend you, you don't have to work in them.

Prostitution is legal in Argentina. Foreigners don't make the laws. Blame you own government of you want to blame someone, but that won't make any difference. Even if it's illegal, there will still be prostitution, just as there always has been. Women will never stop exploiting men.

Mr Steve I am not Lespeth and do not need to write one post to get my point across .

I found your post highly offensive in regards to the state of prostitution in Argentina and your comments about woman exploiting men. You are a misogynist who hates woman for making this comment as you have come from a womans womb who conceived you in love .

Most prostitutes are from Paraguay or poor provinces who are forced at a young age into selling their bodies for a few pesos and this then becomes a addiction for them and they learn know other life due to the exploitation of men.

Most prostitutes hate their work and do this to survive in a troubled world.

After you just stated the obvious, I understand why it is rare on weekdays to see young people in cafes. I visit one or another cafe daily, and I never thought about why most of the people there are well beyond their 20s, and if they are not a couple of elderly women, or a lonely guy, they are in a group with computers out, obviously having a work meeting.

Young people, if they are not already working, are students, and students don't exactly have a lot of leisurely cash for hanging in cafes.

Try the weekends, when members of the younger working class have the time to sit around a cafe.

Back