Cake Flour?

I'd use 000 for bread. I haven't seen whole wheat flour but I haven't looked, I'd say the dieteticas (health food stores) should have it, though, in suelto if nothing else (bulk). Dona Clara is a great little baking supplies store in Once, Corrientes 2561 I want to say. Corrientes 25something, anyway. Or maybe 2651. Anyway, that's a good place to go for supplies, from cookie cutters to springform pans to pastry knives to cupcake liners. And they're super nice, and can tell you where to find anything they don't carry. They also carry a handful of edibles, such as almond flour.. (thinking some French, Herme-inspired macarons might be in order soon!!). Good luck with the flour search, let us know what you find!

Ooooh Then have almond flour!? I'm there!

Cassie, I didn't really see your packaging request. There are two packaging options I can give you: 1. Is the packing stores on Larea in Once between Corrientes & Sarmiento or 2. the packing stores on Juan Peron between say Parana and Libertad.

Good luck!

Katti, whole wheat flour is quite common and easy to find in the dieticas. 0000 flour is the one you want to use for cakes.

Yeah, I went to Doña Clara today and they wanted TEN PESOS for a cardboard cake box. YIKES. There's a paper supply type store a few blocks from my house and they want $5-ish each. Still, soooo $$$$!! I'm just looking for ways to deliver baked goods. Do you think those packaging stores would have stuff? Or are they more for mail? Thanks!

cassiem13 said:
Yeah, I went to Doña Clara today and they wanted TEN PESOS for a cardboard cake box. YIKES. There's a paper supply type store a few blocks from my house and they want $5-ish each. Still, soooo $$$$!! I'm just looking for ways to deliver baked goods. Do you think those packaging stores would have stuff? Or are they more for mail? Thanks!

They are packaging stores as in store & product packaging not mail & packing packaging. I suggest you go to the cupcake place, but two cupcakes, take their package (there's a lot of it), bring it down to one of the stores and tell them you want something similar but for cakes. The cupcake place is spending a lot of money on packaging!

cassiem13 said:
I'd use 000 for bread. I haven't seen whole wheat flour but I haven't looked, I'd say the dieteticas (health food stores) should have it, though, in suelto if nothing else (bulk). Dona Clara is a great little baking supplies store in Once, Corrientes 2561 I want to say. Corrientes 25something, anyway. Or maybe 2651. Anyway, that's a good place to go for supplies, from cookie cutters to springform pans to pastry knives to cupcake liners. And they're super nice, and can tell you where to find anything they don't carry. They also carry a handful of edibles, such as almond flour.. (thinking some French, Herme-inspired macarons might be in order soon!!). Good luck with the flour search, let us know what you find!

I made the most delicious bread that tasted like 'home' with whole wheat flower bought in... disco! It turned out I didn't look well or maybe they don't always have it. It is not as dark as back home, but I am happy with it.

thanks everyone for advising me

What type of flour would I use for waffles? All the recpies I have for waffles call for baking soda. Should I get the flour with the baking powder in it? If not, what is baking powder called??

arty said:
What type of flour would I use for waffles? All the recpies I have for waffles call for baking soda. Should I get the flour with the baking powder in it? If not, what is baking powder called??

No. Don't get the flour with the raising agent. That one is called harina leudante (or something close! LOL.)

Baking soda & baking powder are two different things.
levadura en polvo : baking powder.
bicarbonato de sosa : baking soda.

Finally decided to stretch beyond the Pureza pizza flour and make a homemade dough with yeast. I've got a recipe here calling for bread flour. Read that the only difference is that bread flour has more protein and that you can use 0000 flour although it doesn't turn out the same. What flour have you used for homemade pizza dough? Thanks!

the other day I found the brand Pureza. It says Leudante- Reposteria Casera and has a picture of a cake on the outside. My husband told me that is the closest I'll find to cake flour.

I bake fresh bread every week as I am not a french bread fan and I really missed my heavy loaves of 7 grain bread from Eli's bakery in New York City. Whole wheat flour (harina integral, as it's called here) from the dieteticas is way too coarse for a good loaf so you have to experiment. I found "Pureza" brand harina integral, very good and I mix about 300 grams of harina integral into 1 kilo of Pureza harina integral, along with sunflower seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, wheat bran, and oats, and when I can find them pumpkin seeds as well.

Back