can anyone explaine me the "dólar informal" ex-change rate

lela

Registered
hello all, i was informed today by my land lady that she would have to charge my rent with the current 4.75 "dólar informal" ex-change rate.

the bank mid exchange rate today is 4.27 to my information.
http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/dolar.asp

she also mentioned, that she would have to charge me a 50-100.- USD more per month, as the "subsidios" are going to be cancelled.

i live in a place where its getting very hot, i am concerned re. A/C use!

now, i am not sure what my legal right is, my contract is valid until march 2012.

also, what would be a possibility to avoid all this hustle, i really would like to continue to stay here, i love this place!

any comments are highly appreciated, L

I don't see a " mid exchange rate " on the link you provided. What I saw was that the buy rate was between $4.28 and $4.30. What do you mean " mid exchange rate " ?

If you really like the apartment and you want to stay I would personally try to negotiate a rate between the buy rate and the informal rate. Something around 4.50.

As far as the subsidies being cancelled, this is true. I was just informed that I should be getting something in the mail soon and I will have to declare why I need the subsidies etc. Some areas like Puerto Madero and Recoleta won't even have that option but some areas in Palermo might. But it's true that the gas bill and electric bill are going to double and during the summer months that means for the owner they are going to quadruple. Especially if the tenant likes the A/C on all the time. As an owner I would personally have a maximum written into the contract and anything over that the tenant would have to pay.

I'd negotiate a rate between the two stated above. 4.50 should work. Western Union is currently paying out $ 4.55 so it isn't too far fetched. If the utility cap isn't written into the contract, you could try to hold your ground and say you will only pay it if it's written into a new contract starting in March. This has come as a surprise to everyone living in the Capital so I understand the landlord, but if it wasn't written into the contract beforehand, she really doesn't have much of a case.

Good luck and try to keep the peace. No one wants " mala sangre " " mala leche " where they sleep.

lela said:
hello all, i was informed today by my land lady that she would have to charge my rent with the current 4.75 "dólar informal" ex-change rate.

she also mentioned, that she would have to charge me a 50-100.- USD more per month, as the "subsidios" are going to be cancelled.

i live in a place where its getting very hot, i am concerned re. A/C use!

now, i am not sure what my legal right is, my contract is valid until march 2012.

also, what would be a possibility to avoid all this hustle, i really would like to continue to stay here, i love this place!

any comments are highly appreciated, L

TheBlackHand said:
I don't see a " mid exchange rate " on the link you provided. What I saw was that the buy rate was between $4.28 and $4.30. What do you mean " mid exchange rate " ?

If you really like the apartment and you want to stay I would personally try to negotiate a rate between the buy rate and the informal rate. Something around 4.50.

As far as the subsidies being cancelled, this is true.

I'd negotiate a rate between the two stated above. 4.50 should work. Western Union is currently paying out $ 4.55 so it isn't too far fetched. If the utility cap isn't written into the contract, you could try to hold your ground and say you will only pay it if it's written into a new contract starting in March. This has come as a surprise to everyone living in the Capital so I understand the landlord, but if it wasn't written into the contract beforehand, she really doesn't have much of a case.

Good luck and try to keep the peace. No one wants " mala sangre " " mala leche " where they sleep.

thank you for the info, i did read re. the subsidies and no, its all included in my current contract, but as you say, keep the peace ... i like my land lady and i do love the place.
i had terror before, no need for anther one.
but again, there is a "land-lord-situation" and i do understand, but so there is a "tenant-situation" and somehow a tenant should have some rights too. its simple not possible that the tenant would have to bleed for it all... or do i see that wrong? :confused:

a contract is a contract. all included is all included. end of story.

is your contract in dollars or pesos? if it is in dollars, and you can't get dollars, negotiate an exchange rate between the official one and the informal one.

if your contract has no clause for utilities and expensas going up or overages, you have every right to stick to the rent amount in the contract. if it does, then you may have to pay the overages and/or negotiate something with her.

TheBlackHand said:
I don't see a " mid exchange rate " on the link you provided.

here with the correct links:

http://www.xe.com/?c=ARS
(mid market exchange rate today is 4.27)

sorry , L

I personally think there is always some middle ground. If both parties are reasonable, there is always room to negotiate. I'd probably tell her that the utilities are written into the contract so what she is asking for isn't legal and you aren't legally obligated to pay more than what you are already paying.

The most her utilities can go up is about 200 pesos per month. So maybe if you are feeling magnanimous, split the difference and offer to pay her an extra 25 usd or 100 pesos a month on your end out of good will but make it clear that you understand and that she should understand that the contract states that utilities are included. Like it or not she has to respect the letter of the contract. You are a tenant and you do have rights.

Good luck and I hope everything works out for you.

lela said:
thank you for the info, i did read re. the subsidies and no, its all included in my current contract, but as you say, keep the peace ... i like my land lady and i do love the place.
i had terror before, no need for anther one.
but again, there is a "land-lord-situation" and i do understand, but so there is a "tenant-situation" and somehow a tenant should have some rights too. its simple not possible that the tenant would have to bleed for it all... or do i see that wrong? :confused:

Bajo_cero2 said:
Here you have a debate with a lot of info about renting contract, dollar and your rights as a tenant.
http://baexpats.org/expat-life/18817-whats-deal-usd-argentina.html
Regards
Bajo, I appreciated your legal opinion (in the link) re the enforceablity of short term rental contracts calling for payment in dollars. I have a few questions and perhaps you could help me understand.
1. If I understood you correctly a new contract requiring a short term tenant to pay rent in US $ is void. Presumably the tenant can simply proffer the rental amount converted into pesos at the official rate. Is that correct?
2. If correct, is it only the case since the new financial laws went into effect at end of October? Or has that always been the law? In other words, if a contract calling for payment in US dollars was entered into before Oct, 2011 is it valid for the landlord to require payment in dollars nowadays?
3. I presume sales of real estate may be negotiated and paid in $. Is this correct?
Thanks in advance.

Back