Can I bring a used flatscreen TV in my luggage?

Sam Bartolo

Registered
Hello

Im coming in for 1 week 3 March, Id like to take a used small flatscreen in my luggage. The rest is clothes.

Will this be a red flag ? if ima only there for one week bringing in a TV. (its a text to see if it will make it unbroken, before I bring in my graphic monitorsd in a few months)

Its not worth the problem if it will cause a problem

Thanks in advance.

Im coming in for 1 week 3 March, Id like to take a used small flatscreen in my luggage.
How small is small?
The rest is clothes.
No problem if they are used and/or without tags.

Will this be a red flag ? if ima only there for one week bringing in a TV. (its a text to see if it will make it unbroken, before I bring in my graphic in our post )n a few months)
It may be too soon to tell migraciones that you are moving to Argentina becasue you are getting married to justify bringing a TV in your luggage, but you could say that you are renting an apartment without a TV...and it is my guess that might work.

I doubt you would be asked about the TV when you leave without it, but that's also my guess.

Last year there was a thread by a couple who, traveling together (on tourist visas) wanted to bring two high grade flat screen monitors.

The consnsus was that one would not be a problem but two could be...yet, because the customs rules apply to individuals, not couples, I didn't think there would be a problem, but I did not say so in the thread.

Its not worth the problem if it will cause a problem
Even if the old TV survives the first trip, there is no guarantee your graphic monitor (sd) will survive the next trip.

Because of an apparent typo ("monitorsd") in your post, it isn't clear how many you plan to bring.

If you are still a "tourist" when you return I suggest you only bring one.

Steven

OK.

Ill forget the TV!

Two monitors.

Id like to bring in at least my Ben Q Monitor when I return in two three months at most. If not ill buy there but rather use money for other things.

I'd like to bring in at least the clothes, If I bring in 20 kilos (50m lbs). Is that a problem with a one week stay, with no return baggage, I dont know if they look at tickets to check.

Its one less bag ill have to bring in when I return.

Thanks

(Customs always double checks me no matter where Ive been, I ssem to have a look they check :). but I was younger)

I have brought computer monitors in my suitcase on serval occasions. No problem.

My monitor made it all in one piece in my checked bag, but it was in the original packaging and the gaps were filled with socks.

Id like to bring in at least my Ben Q Monitor when I return in two three months at most.
Instead of a "test" TV, why not bring one of the two monitors in the first trip...especially if you pack it as well as Big Swifty did?

I'd like to bring in at least the clothes, If I bring in 20 kilos (50m lbs). Is that a problem with a one week stay, with no return baggage, I dont know if they look at tickets to check.
I don't know if they have any way at departure to check to see what you brought with you when you arrived, but you might want to have a "reasonable" expalination as to why you are leaving without any luggage.

Would "I was robbed at the bus station and they stole my suitcase" be a reasonable explanation for leaving without luggage? Certainly plausible.

Would "I was robbed at the bus station and they stole my suitcase" be a reasonable explanation for leaving without luggage? Certainly plausible.
This would certainly be plausable, but it might be more be more convincing to say (if asked) that, "I will be returning very soon and there is no reason for me cart the suitcase back and forth."

That's because it's easier for most people to tell the truth with conviction than it is to tell a lie...which is something I learned the hard way when I was eight years old (almost 65 years ago).

Upon departue, you could then add that you just visited the woman you love and that you will be getting maried when you return.🤠

since immigration is much later than when you check you bag, and thru several doors and up the escalator, the immigration person who you see to leave the country neither knows nor cares whether you have a bag, or 10, or none. They are solely concerned with taking your picture, scanning your passport, and getting your thumbprint. I have never had them ask questions on departure, except about visa overstay.
You check in with airline personel. Who also could care less if you dont have a bag, and dont tell anyone.
As far as flat screens, I have brought one, probably 5 years ago or more, no problems. Disassemble base and unplug cords, and I usually protect the screen. Since I have an extensive shop in the US, I just cut a piece of 1/8 plywood doorskin to size, and tape it over the screen, then bubble wrap, and put in bag. But heavy cardboard would work, too.
I also once brought an older 20" Imac, similar packing. In neither case did the person watching the xray say a word, nobody cared.

This would certainly be plausable, but it might be more be more convincing to say (if asked) that, "I will be returning very soon and there is no reason for me cart the suitcase back and forth."

That's because it's easier for most people to tell the truth with conviction than it is to tell a lie...which is something I learned the hard way when I was eight years old (almost 65 years ago).

Upon departue, you could then add that you just visited the woman you love and that you will be getting maried when you return.🤠
For sure - the truth is always easier to remember and if there's no reason to tell even a white lie that hurts no one then why bother? I was assuming that there was a reason to not be exactly 100% truthful, as in perhaps Customs here in ARG wants to make sure that when you leave you do so with everything you entered with. Maybe that just applies to electronics and other things people might try to sell, maybe it doesn't apply to anything at all. I probably read "It may be too soon to tell migraciones that you are moving to Argentina" as a reason to not be 100% forthright without differentiating it from "I will be returning very soon" - the key difference being the words "moving to" and the more vague "returning."

I've only been here a year and until now haven't had to leave the country, so I have no practical experience with how things are done, but from what I've experienced in general, learned at this forum, and from others, ARG is probably the most unique and often problematic country I've been to when it comes to Customs, bringing things into the country, and certainly trying to receive any purchases from outside of the country or sending/receiving personal packages. Scarcity of Fujifilm products and the hassle of purchasing/shipping from abroad has me 95% sure I'm ditching them and switching to a brand which is far more common here.

Back