Can It Be Found?

Chet

Registered
So I get it about going to chinatown for almost anything, and I will make that venture soon. In the meantime I have been exploring the shelves of various local (to me) stores and making a mental list of things I would normally use/want but haven't seen.
If anyone has clues, or maybe wants to tell me I didn't look very well here are some things I noticed that I didn't notice:

Dijon mustard
worcestershire sauce
balsamic vinegar
brown sugar
good chocolate candies
horseradish
dill
tumeric
lovage

All of which can certainly be done without but would be nice to find.

I've seen dijon at the Jumbo, but it was beastly expensive, as was the Tabasco.

I'm not sure why, mustard should grow in this climate. Hell, almost anything should be growable in Argentina, given the range of climate zones. It's just the limited arable land at altitude that would limit crops like coffee, tea, and cannabis.

I've found everything you listed with the exception of the last 3 at higher end supermarkets fairly recently. All very expensive but there.

ETA - Brown sugar you can find pretty much any supermarket.

I don't know what lovage is? Dill and tumeric should be relatively easy to find as well, just haven't looked for them.

Here are some ideas on where you can find these items -

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Dijon mustard - I have seen national brands here in large supermarkets, and specialty brands in Chinatown[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]worcestershire sauce - I have seen this in Chinatown many times[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]horseradish - in a bottle you can find this at kosher supermarkets around the jewish holidays in Belgrano and around Once[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]balsamic vinegar - easily available, many brands, different qualities of product, here it's called "Aceto" (pronounced ACHETO)[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]brown sugar - easily avaible at any dietetica (health food shop) there are 2 kinds - called "azúcar rubia" (light brown) and "azúcar negra" (dark brown)[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]good chocolate candies - there is chocolate of every description here, not that great though, if you want better quality chocolate go to a confitería and buy "bombones" but they are really expensive now, around $400 pesos / kilo, lindt and those European brands can be found in Chinatown and in large branches of Jumbo and Disco supermarkets[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]dill - it's called "eneldo" en español - they have it in some better verdulerías fresh, but you have to ask for it, they keep it in the cooler, and dried you will find at some dieteticas[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]tumeric - called "curcuma" en español - almost every dietetica sells this spice[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]lovage - I have never seen this in Argentina, but I am sure it can be found somewhere, it's called "apio de monte" en español, not to be confused with "apio" which means celery[/background]

Chet, you might want to check out the big Jumbo supermarket in Palermo - they have more variety of products than most supermarkets. Also, there are a few smaller shops (e.g. http://www.thepickmarket.com.ar/ in Recoleta), where you can find imported goods.

Thanks everyone
Very helpful
I figured to at least some degree I wan't looking in the right places.
No big surprise on the lovage, hard to find in US too. Someone shoulds start a herb garden :)

For things like mustard, balsamic, chocolate go to a good wine shop like Malambo ( Thames 2098, corner of Guatemala, Palermo ). They have all the specialty items and much more.
Nancy

Chet, you might want to check out the big Jumbo supermarket in Palermo - they have more variety of products than most supermarkets. Also, there are a few smaller shops (e.g. http://www.thepickmarket.com.ar/ in Recoleta), where you can find imported goods.

Excuse me if I'm off-base here, but if you mean the one on Guardia Vieja, (I always wonder if this refers to Napoleon's Old Guard), they call that Jumbo Almagro, for some odd reason, and I agree it's enormous. If you mean another one that's even bigger, that's scary :)

I have only been to the Palermo one (http://www.jumbo.com.ar/sucursales-palermo.html), so can't compare the size.

bodegaamparo.com.ar is my place for spices, chocolate, deli meat and dressings... AMAZING!! I've bought everything in your list except for dill which i've fould hard to find. Lovage... nonexistent

Back