Carne para todos! Seriously?

Lucas, I am glad to read your comments. When will inflation come down? When will crime rates seriously drop? When will criminals be given serious jail terms and not be allowed to get out before they have served their time? When will the infrastructure get better with things like decent trains etc?

sergio said:
Lucas, I am glad to read your comments. When will inflation come down? When will crime rates seriously drop? When will criminals be given serious jail terms and not be allowed to get out before they have served their time? When will the infrastructure get better with things like decent trains etc?

Inflation is not a priority there are things more important at the moment, but in due curse that will be also tackled.

Crime rates will drop when equality and opportunities for all in the society scales are fulfilled in their aspirations.

Criminals will be given appropriate jail terms with full sentences when the current crop of corrupted judges are culled from the system and this unfortunately takes time.

Infrastructure is begin to improve but after of so many decades of neglect by the neo-liberal politicians of the past you can't expect to be done overnight, now a change is coming to support that end and everything, roads, transport, manufacturing, housing, hospitals, education, schools, etc, is looked after, nothing have been done before this government took power. Pity for the people of BA that decided (again) for this useless and corrupted city mayor there will little improvement in the city itself for the next four year but the country is going in the right direction.

Heard a saying once... "If you continue to do things the way its always been done, you will continue to get the same results and never progress".

Lucas said:
Inflation is not a priority there are things more important at the moment, but in due curse that will be also tackled.

Crime rates will drop when equality and opportunities for all in the society scales are fulfilled in their aspirations.

Criminals will be given appropriate jail terms with full sentences when the current crop of corrupted judges are culled from the system and this unfortunately takes time.

Infrastructure is begin to improve but after of so many decades of neglect by the neo-liberal politicians of the past now a change is coming to support that end. Pity for the people of BA that decided (again) for this useless and corrupted city mayor there will little improvement in the city itself for the next four year but the country is going in the right direction.

Inflation contributes greatly to that inequality you're talking about so it should be a priority.

I'm sure the judges are corrupt, but I doubt that is the reasons that low life blue collar criminals get lame jail sentences.

AngelinBA said:
And while I agree with Lucas´s comments on the ´land owners´, I don´t think it´s a story that´s unique to Argentina.

I know that for at least NZ, AU, US and most of europe, that farms are price takers, as in they dont dictate the price they get, its the people furture up the chain who dictate the price, usually because of demand.
In the supply chain you have the stock agent (buyer who comes to the farm/stock sales), the processor (who kills the animal), the wholesaler (distrubutor), and the the retail outlet (supermarket/butcher). And everyone of these takes their cut. I would be very surprised if argentina was any different. In some cases the retailer will buy direct from the processor, but they are not going to drop their price by any large amount because they get it cheaper than the shop down the road, and then pass those savings onto the consumer.

However at the moment with record commodity prices, everything from milk to meat has gone up. NZ dairy farms have had their best payout ever, and this is with the NZ$ being high against the US$. This is not because the NZ dairy farmer said we want $8 per kg for our milk solids, its because the consumers (mostly in asia) are fighting over a limited supply. 2 years ago these same NZ dairy farmers were getting closer to $4 per kg, when the NZ$ was around US$0.50 - because there was more demand than supply..

Saying all that, nothing surprises me with argentina. I have been purchasing MOLBO milk from coto for a couple of years now, because its cheap. This time last year it was $2.25 for 1 lt, a couple of days ago i got it for $2.47 - thats around 10% increase in a year. The other brand i buy has gone up from $2.65 to $3.85 in that same period. How come every other brand of milk is 30 to 40% more expensive and MOLBO isnt ??? I wonder if its sometimes "we should put up our prices because everyone else is", or we expect inflation/wage growth to 30% this year, so we need to keep on increasing prices.

If the gov put out real inflation data, and controlled the unions wage demands, maybe the real inflation rate wouldnt be so high, and food wouldnt be more expensive here than europe/us/nz !!!

Lucas, inflation is behind MANY problems in Argentina. The poor can not cope with high prices and depend on government subsidies. Unions keep demanding increases, the middle class struggles etc. It is a problem that is undermining the country in critical ways. It must be THE priority. As for crime, it has been a Kirchner policy to avoid serious law enforcement and penalties in the name of human rights. This too has to change and criminals MUST be apprehended and given serious sentences. Infrastructure: railways and other transport companies that accept subsidies MUST be accountable for the money that they receive. The government must also invest in railways that serve real needs rather than waste large amounts of money on studies for fantasy bullet trains to Cordoba. A return to the level of train service that existed forty years ago would be a start.

davonz said:
Saying all that, nothing surprises me with argentina. I have been purchasing MODO milk from coto for a couple of years now, because its cheap. This time last year it was $2.25 for 1 lt, a couple of days ago i got it for $2.47 - thats around 10% increase in a year. The other brand i buy has gone up from $2.65 to $3.85 in that same period. How come every other brand of milk is 30 to 40% more expensive and MODO isnt ??? I wonder if its sometimes "we should put up our prices because everyone else is", or we expect inflation/wage growth to 30% this year, so we need to keep on increasing prices.

This is one of the things that I'm most puzzled about here. It seems that producers/vendors just price everything how they see fit. I can remember reading (I don't know if it was in this forum) recently how certain wine producers are increasing their prices according to "official" inflation, whereas others (I think Latitud 33 was one mentioned) goes up regularly according to "actual" inflation, and a few others have only made small increments in price. I'm really not sure how it works in other countries, but surely the government has some kind of control over this? That's why it's shocking to me that they put those carne para todos lorries on the street (to help ease the impact of inflation?) rather than just implement tighter controls on prices in the local market. Unless, of course, the government has absolutely no control over this (which would surprise me) and its genuinely the only way they can "compete" with unscrupulous producers/vendors

One thing that some may have forgotten, is that a couple of years ago, our good friend CFK put up the tax on exports, including meat. Alot of those farmers decided it was better for business to swap to growing soya beans. As a result argentina was going to become a net meat import for the first time ever, and as a result pay global market prices.

Lucas said:

Inflation is one of the main causes of inequality....I agree with you though, to this govnmt, is far from a priority (well, they are responsible for it, so of course they wont try to fix it). Only priority is how to get more money from the ppl..so inflation will stay where it is for the next 4 years at least

Lucas said:
Crime rates will drop when equality and opportunities for all in the society scales are fulfilled in their aspirations..

So, it has been stablished that after almost a decade of kirchnerismo there´s no such thing as equality and aspiration fulfillment. Once again i agree with you...i guess we can start thinking about crime rates dropping after kirchnerism is gone...whenever that may be :S

Lucas said:

yet again, completaly agree with you ! im sure you agree with me that the crop of corrupted judges, for the most part are on Cristinas payroll (dont want to name names "OYARBIDE among many many others" )

Lucas said:
Infrastructure is begin to improve but after of so many decades of neglect by the neo-liberal politicians of the past you can't expect to be done overnight, now a change is coming to support that end and everything, roads, transport, manufacturing, housing, hospitals, education, schools, etc, is looked after, nothing have been done before this government took power. Pity for the people of BA that decided (again) for this useless and corrupted city mayor there will little improvement in the city itself for the next four year but the country is going in the right direction.

I will need to remind you (you can youtube it if you want) that your precious emperor gave a very touching speach on TV about how menem was the greatest president in our history (kinna lika kircherisas now say nestor was :S ) and how priviledged he felt of being his follower !!
I will also like to reming you that currently, on La Rioja province, Cristing and Menm are on a same vallot, them two beautifull faces showing side by side and last but not least.....Crisitna just provided some of that "uncorropted justice" letting him walk free of the weapong dealing charge he had and was absolutaly guilty of !!!
You mention several times that more time is needed, that things cannot get done overnight ! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!?? 8 years and half in power...literally in power, with full control of the congress and the judicual system......NOTHING has been done (for the ppl that is)...there´s no infrastructure at all, we pretty much have the same we had back in the 90´s......back then, and before that meat was completaly accessible to absolutaly everyone ! including poor ppl, all had access to it......This huge prices and meat and pretty much everything else are a direct result of this very corrupted govnmnt..... So, after 8 1/2 years nothign has been done yet they claim they need more....how much more time do you guys need ??? perhaps 50 years ?? how long will it take kirchnerism to actually do something to improve our quality of life ??? are they ever going to start ?? (and trucks of low cost meat believe me...are not a start...is just a bad to joke and an insult ! )

Shame on kirchneristas...i was around during the 90´s and it was the exactly same thing...everyone was menemista...now, no one is.....Today, everyone is kirchnerista like yourself.....same ole´story in this poor country....Same crappy corrupted politicians converted into gods getting filthy rich and bringing down the country and its ppl.....

I'm not a CFK hater like many of the folks in this forum. In fact, I admire her speaking of "inclusión social," and I don't think it's some political game for her. In the United States, mentioning terms like "social inclusion" and "economic justice" equates you with Pol Pot.

As a gay man, her support for marriage equality was huge for me, and she allowed the law to go into effect in the face of huge opposition from the Catholic Church and many of the people who support her. The protests in Congreso against the law were (in my eyes) bigger than the protests against the retenciones in June/July 2008 and the state take-over of the AFJP later in the year.

With that said, I don't enjoy the paternalistic and antagonistic attitudes. If you're going to ask questions about the realities here, do so in a diplomatic way. Equating the Carne Para Todos trucks to "stinky soviet-era food trucks" is probably not going to elicit the best reaction. I mean, seriously. :rolleyes:

The problems (regarding inflation) in Argentina are 1.) the power of the unions and 2.) the concentration of production into the hands of a few. Both of these problems are, in my opinion, the root of inflation. Hugo Moyano has more power than CFK. He'll get what he asks for because he could bring the country to a grinding halt whenever he feels like it. Furthermore, massive companies here produce most of the products you see in the grocery stores. And with imports shut down and ridiculous bureaucracy to get a company started here, they probably won't be seeing any competition anytime soon. Why increase supply when that will bring down the price, creating less earnings for the company? Why not just have the government come to you and agree to subsidize the price? Anyone know if CFK has any investment in Molinos?

Back