Carne para todos! Seriously?

mcaffa said:
I beg to differ. I live out in the GBA boonies and the prices in my area are similar to those in Palermo, Belgrano, etc.

Agreed. My partner's family lives in González Catán (province BSAS), and the prices are the same as they are where we live (Once) in Capital.

bradlyhale said:
Agreed. My partner's family lives in González Catán (province BSAS), and the prices are the same as they are where we live (Once) in Capital.

I can find a variance of maybe 20% in 5 blocks between different carnicerias on the better quality cuts of meat, with pretty much the same quality, and even at the top end of that variance they're cheaper than in the more expensive parts of Capital.

bradlyhale said:

Thirded. I was in a small town out in the Partido de Berazategui over the weekend, and the prices of basic groceries such as bottled water, bread, crackers, candy and wine were on par with those in CF.

I was thinking more about the price of meat and vegetables because we were originally talking about carne para todos. You're right that there isn't a huge variance in oil, water, pasta, etc.

ndcj said:
Elsewhere things are not nearly as expensive and "inflation" isn't affecting staples to nearly the same degree. .

I'm with everyone else - not true. I live far from a tourist part as I'm an hour outside cap fed and am seeing large price increases. Also some things are cheaper but a lot are the same price as I paid living on Libertador and Maure.

ndcj said:
I was thinking more about the price of meat and vegetables because we were originally talking about carne para todos. You're right that there isn't a huge variance in oil, water, pasta, etc.

Yes, I do know that in some places outside of the city, things like meat and veg are cheaper. But my original point was just that inflation or no inflation, if the average prices of produce are now more expensive than in Europe/the US, someone somewhere is making a hell of a lot of profit! But rather than address that issue to win election votes (I'm guessing because the govt are receiving some kind of direct benefit from these price hikes), they park a truck full of subsidised meat on the street for consumers to purchase every now and again. I don't understand how people can be excited/appreciative about it and not feel like theyre being kicked in the teeth!

:)Argentina is the most espectulative economy on the planet and since its inception the food mafias have had a stranglehold on the economy of course with the help of all governments. There is no reason that prices for local products are dearer than international products than greed . The workers on farms do not get high wages but the middlemen and their cohorts are making a killing now. Almonds at 130 pesos a kilo , mangos 12 pesos for low quality , frambuesas 40 pesos a small package . For this reason people are eating much worse these days and it shows !!! Soon we will all be eating Choripan and empanadas only:)

I was amazed when I went to NYC recently by the prices - by how cheap they were compared to Buenos Aires. I could go to all sorts of eateries to eat and get a good quality lunch for under $10 - authentic Thai, Mexican, Italian, etc. And the best pizza too - I'm a Californian and nothing beats NY pizza!

Now the rents in Manhattan have got to be astronomical and the wages have to be more - how can you get great food there for under $10 and get mediocre lunch of milanesa or pizza here starting at 40 pesos and up?

I got a hotel a couple of blocks from Times Square - a Hilton for under a $100 - beautiful room. And in a taxi recently I saw some average looking hotel with a banner on Corrientes advertising $400 peso a night rooms - like that is a great bargain???

It's an inflationary boom - from money printing to boost the economy before the election - it will end soon - in tears....

ndcj said:
There is, of course, something every one of us can do. Stop buying from Disco, Coto, Carrefour, etc and start buying locally. Buy all your meat at the local carniceria, buy all your vegetables at the verduleria and buy whatever's left over at your local chino.

If enough people to do it, and keep doing it, and watch what happens to the rip off prices the large chains charge. You'll save money, eat better and fresher, reduce waste and support your local community rather than your corporate overlords in Chile (Jumbo, Disco), France (Carrefour) and the US (Walmart).

I've found that while generally more expensive, sometimes my coto is noticeably cheaper than the local carnecerias & chinos. It's like a game played by all the retailers here in which they varying separately their mark ups on every item; the goal of the game of course being to screw the consumer.

Back