Carrying cash through airports

Gauchobeat

Registered
Hi there,

Does anyone know anything about carrying cash out of Ezeiza airport for international flights. What's the limit? And, if it is 10,000 USD (which I have previously been told) do you think it is possible to carry extra if its hidden well in your hand luggage? I have no idea if a stack of bills would show up on the airport scanner and/or if it would be a better idea to put it in a money belt under my clothes. Not up to anything dodgy...just need to get some money home.

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks

I've been wondering pretty much the same thing, but for bringing money TO BsAs! I hope you get some good responses!

Gauchobeat said:
Hi there,

Does anyone know anything about carrying cash out of Ezeiza airport for international flights. What's the limit? And, if it is 10,000 USD (which I have previously been told) do you think it is possible to carry extra if its hidden well in your hand luggage? I have no idea if a stack of bills would show up on the airport scanner and/or if it would be a better idea to put it in a money belt under my clothes. Not up to anything dodgy...just need to get some money home.

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks

If you carry more than 10,000 out and are caught , you will be in danger of losing the lot.

There are quite big signs advising that this is the limit.

Best not to try.

ten grand $US or under is legal.
Personally, I always carry my cash on my person, never in a bag or carry on luggage.
I have been carrying cash in various amounts in foreign countries since the 1970s- back in the day, there were no ATM machines or debit cards, and it was either Benjamins or travellers checks. I have travelled for months at a time in asia, europe, and now argentina, carrying cash is no big deal, you just keep it hidden.
money belt under clothes, or a small cloth bag (I sew my own) on a ribbon under your arm, is totally invisible and pretty theft proof. My wife actually has been known to carry it in her bra.

I have never had an airport scanner say a word about money belts or bags. But they always search the hand luggage, and if they see your cash, then other people might as well. Out of sight is always better. And harder to lose.

Ries said:
ten grand $US or under is legal.

I believe carrying any amount of cash is legal. You just have to declare it to customs. This is where 10k limit comes from. You can take up to 10k with you without declaration.

henryb said:
I believe carrying any amount of cash is legal. You just have to declare it to customs. This is where 10k limit comes from. You can take up to 10k with you without declaration.

this really varies depending on which country you are leaving, and which country you are entering. But its easy enough to find out what the applicable laws are, and I am not in any way endorsing smuggling money.
Declare if needed.

I am just saying, dont leave it in your carry on bag, which is easily stolen or rifled thru.

Instead, keep it nice and warm next to your skin, where you will notice if somebody's hand is that doesnt belong there.

Good common sense I think. I seem to remember seeing ''zipper socks'' somewhere in my travels - socks that you can hide your money in - has anybody seen these here in Buenos Aires? (or any similar/better idea for secure money concealment on your body ?) I would like to buy something I can use for carrying money that the average ''ladro'' would NOT think of checking for...

I think you can carry more than 10k US between the US and Argentina if you declare it. If you really want to smuggle the cash, I read a story once about a guy who bought several million dollars worth of diamonds and then stashed them where the sun don't shine....

I wouldn't bring more than $10,000. If you bring more and you don't declare it, that's a no-no, and you might lose it all. Following the law puts your life at risk. You don't want to be a victim of a "salidera aeroportuaria". If someone in the airport knows that you're walking around with that kind of money, you can't be sure that someone on the highway won't find out...

I agree with Ries, keep it on your body. And follow the advice of Johnny Depp's character in Blow: be thinking of anything else but that fact that you're carrying while passing through customs! :cool:

I also agree about not declaring even the 10,000, in regard to the whole business of someone being alerted outside of the airport to track you down. What's the point?

Back