Casual french student in BA

A lot of Argentines I know are pretty quick to jump at their European heritage (ie grandparents, great grandparents etc). In fact my girlfriend was the first one to point this out to me and I do agree with her :)

Yes there is a lot that are eligible for European passports, but at the end of the day moving to Europe (even if they want to) just is not viable for most Argentines. There are many reasons why even eligible Argentines wouldnt move to Europe: family and friends in Argentina would be the biggest reason, the language barrier (only Spain avoids this, and its not exactly an attractive option), $, job opportunities etc.

Actually, it took me quite a few years to start to understand the Argentinean idiosyncrasy.
When I arrived here in 2003, I was kind of thinking : mhhh they're a mix of Italians/Spaniards, I know those cultures. That was so wrong.

Now I understand more or less how Argentinean's way of thinking/living. A very creative culture, can enjoy life even during the most difficult times, a humor which can be very "incisive" at times (I love that), etc.
Of course there's also the famous viveza criolla, but this is due to historical roots (Bs As developped a lot smuggling activities before becoming a second Virreinato, etc.).

And once you understand better the locals, you forgive a lot of things & enjoy the rest.

If I remember correctly, the city was built by a bunch of people who came down from Asunción (Paraguay) - then entry/customs port for the whole region - with the sole intention of smuggling and cheating the spanish authorities of their taxes. That also allowed them to trade with France and Britain regardless of the current political status at the Motherland. Sneaky bastages! :rolleyes:
Of course, they do not teach you that at school.

My apologies.
I have to admit the sole aim of my previous comment was to make you cross the line. In no way did I intend to disrespect women, and I am sorry if for some it did sound so. As well I should probably add some context, I am twenty and my sentence was more about women in clubs rather than in general (and we all know how clubs are wild in any capital of the world). Fauna is just a metaphor to do with nature, probably a French tradition that could be traced back to La Fontaine. A stupid generalisation anyway. My apologies again for this juvenile cliché.

Chau,

Marc

Back