Cat calling

Umm well, I do not die for those hormone lead sounds, but I think it at least more honest, in other places they probably think the exact same things but would not tell you. At least you know who you are dealing with, huh? Would you rather get to know what the guy really wanted when you are already expecting your rock? Pffft so much for freedom of speech :)

In my opinion these things come down to point of view. For example, when I first came here I worked at a company for a year. There was a very sweet and attractive young lady who worked with me named Naty. Her nickname (between the men in the office) was "Naty Pomelos" in other words "Natalie Grapefruits" (this was due to her large round boobies if you hadn't picked up on this). When she learned of this, she was delighted. Daily, the guys would go to the store at lunchtime, and buy a bag of grapefruits and leave them on her desk, sometimes, grapefruit soda, grapefruit candy, one guy even found a stuffed toy grapefruit and hung it from the back of her chair. Everybody participated in this including the other girls who then named themselves after fruits as well, there was Romina Sandia, Maria Pia Melón, and Marina Durazno. Nobody seemed to feel abused or offended about this. I worked at a huge corporation (100,000 employees) when I lived in New York City and if ANY of that kind of stuff happened there, everyone would have been fired, sued and put on a sexual offender list. So again, do I agree with the Naty Pomelo stuff, NO, to me it seemed abusive, however she herself loved the attention, the nickname and the other girls loved it so much they named themselves after fruits too. And thats not the end, there were conversations over lunch about penis size, vagina depth, best sex hotels, ribbed vs. smooth condoms, and other stuff with I used to get red in the face over! Go figure!

Davidglen77 said:
In my opinion these things come down to point of view. For example, when I first came here I worked at a company for a year. There was a very sweet and attractive young lady who worked with me named Naty. Her nickname (between the men in the office) was "Naty Pomelos" in other words "Natalie Grapefruits" (this was due to her large round boobies if you hadn't picked up on this). When she learned of this, she was delighted. Daily, the guys would go to the store at lunchtime, and buy a bag of grapefruits and leave them on her desk, sometimes, grapefruit soda, grapefruit candy, one guy even found a stuffed toy grapefruit and hung it from the back of her chair. Everybody participated in this including the other girls who then named themselves after fruits as well, there was Romina Sandia, Maria Pia Melón, and Marina Durazno. Nobody seemed to feel abused or offended about this. I worked at a huge corporation (100,000 employees) when I lived in New York City and if ANY of that kind of stuff happened there, everyone would have been fired, sued and put on a sexual offender list. So again, do I agree with the Naty Pomelo stuff, NO, to me it seemed abusive, however she herself loved the attention, the nickname and the other girls loved it so much they named themselves after fruits too. And thats not the end, there were conversations over lunch about penis size, vagina depth, best sex hotels, ribbed vs. smooth condoms, and other stuff with I used to get red in the face over! Go figure!
Trust me, you do not want to be called " durazno " lmao ( slang for slow, retarded, lololol )

kellymp said:
I don´t really think that men should react on this subject because they really have no idea what it feels like to be a woman and want to walk down the street without having comments thrown at you with those disgusting up and down undressing-with-my-eyes looks.

All women react differently to this apparently "culturally-accepted" behavoir, some find it um...flattering. Personally, I don´t like be treated like a piece of meat and quite enjoy be able to feel COMFORTABLE in my body and my clothing, which apparently is something that men here don´t want you to feel.

It´s as though they want to remind you every second of the day, no matter where you are, who you are with or what you are wearing that THEY only see your oh-so pretty eyes or gigantic breasts.

Actually, I feel bad for men...they are obliviously rather weak if they can´t keep their minds out of the gutter when a woman crosses their path.

Oh by the way, the men on this forum should really watch how they treat women as well.....I´ve unfortunately seen a lot of harrasing comments.
Gross.

Just a last thought-- it´s rather silly, if you think about it, to justify this behavoir and treatment towards women with the comment "It´s just how the culture is"....Do you justify female circumsion with that comment? Or mass-genocide? Or polluting of lakes and rivers?

I kind of get the feeling you don't get enough cat calls yourself...I'm sorry for that.

And, while you might not like it...the culture here "is like it".

"Hey hottie".

Sorry, cute girl just walked by.

You know the ol' saying:

"It's all fun and games until the cat calls stop."

:(

That's when the plastic surgery (besides boobs) starts.

susana-gimenez.jpg

Lee said:
It actually IS cultural and if you can't deal with it then well...don't know what to say except move. Your comments on female circumcision have nothing to do with this.

Most women understand that and either love it or don't acknowledge it but I suspect actually enjoy it.

Darling, the point I´m trying to make is that many things are "culturally acceptable" but that doesn´t make it right and that doesn´t mean that everyone likes it.

I suspect you really have no idea how women think or what they enjoy. THUS WHY MEN ARE ALWAYS HARRASING US WOMEN, BECAUSE THEY THINK WE ENJOY IT!

Lee said:
It actually IS cultural and if you can't deal with it then well...don't know what to say except move. Your comments on female circumcision have nothing to do with this.

Most women understand that and either love it or don't acknowledge it but I suspect actually enjoy it.

Also, if I don´t like to be harrased I should JUST MOVE....???
Don´t people think about what they say on these forums???

jaredwb said:
I kind of get the feeling you don't get enough cat calls yourself...I'm sorry for that.

And, while you might not like it...the culture here "is like it".

"Hey hottie".

Sorry, cute girl just walked by.

Huh??????????????? I don´t get enough cat calls? Yes, exactly Jared...I´m a very bitter woman because I don´t get harrased enough....geez you men really don´t need any help looking like idiots.

Right, no more men-bashing, please, it's getting ridiculous!
Kelly's approach doesn't even seem to have a good feminist leaning, although it may be disguised as such.
I grew up in Eastern Europe, you don't want to know about the pure splendor of cat calling in that part of the world. Trust me, the "culture thing" is always a criterion. You don't have to like it, you just have to find a way to deal with it :D
And I don't see why it has to be such a big deal, in the end. I usually walk with my iPod and miss half of the things guys say to me on the street. Most of the comments I hear make me laugh though - and when I do laugh, I try to do it after taking a few more steps, or else they'd think it's pure encouragement :)
If you really think cat calling makes men an inferior species, the only advice I can give you comes from a good friend of mine back in Europe, who is indeed a feminist. Whenever she'd come across wanna-be machos (which she really considered an inferior species), she'd apply the good old Star Trek Prime Directive: never mix with inferior/underdeveloped species, let them evolve first ;)

I don't know, but seems to me that likening cat calls to genocide or clitoral circumcision is more than a little extreme?

Some ladies like it, others don't, and it taps into a whole slew of cultural and personal viewpoints. For me, I say to be like a duck and let it roll off your back. Or as Saturnine quoted about waiting for evolution before mixing with the inferior species. It seems to me to be a shame to give these "gentlemen" cat callers the power to strip you of your ability to feel comfortable in your own body/clothes. I sincerely hope that nothing bad has ever happened to you to make you feel so defensive and unnerved by that, Kelly.

Back