Catcalling Fines

So, the state is responsible for mediating between two individuals on matters of free speech? You can't say you don't consent to living in a state then appeal to the state to mediate your dispute.

As long as I am REQUIRED to pay taxes (under the threat of imprisonment or death), I will appeal to the state and try to get at least something out of what I am forced to pay. Exempt me from taxes and I will never appeal to the state for anything.

So, the state is responsible for mediating between two individuals on matters of free speech? You can't say you don't consent to living in a state then appeal to the state to mediate your dispute.

But beyond the lack of logic in your response, I am genuinely curious as to where you feel the distinction lies between my freedom of speech and your right to not be harassed.

One should never expect coherence from libertarians: “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

As long as I am REQUIRED to pay taxes (under the threat of imprisonment or death), I will appeal to the state and try to get at least something out of what I am forced to pay. Exempt me from taxes and I will never appeal to the state for anything.

So, because you pay taxes, you have the right to appeal to the state to limit my freedom of exp<b></b>ression?

So, because you pay taxes, you have the right to appeal to the state to limit my freedom of exp<b></b>ression?

Nope. I appeal to the state with the claim that your goal is not to express yourself, but to cause me mental injury and distress. And the burden of proof is on me.

Camberiu, you seem to ignore sleslie's question regarding different kinds of freedoms that collide between two individuals - and I think this is the crucial flaw, as one persons freedom might interfere with another persons. How is this case handled?

Camberiu, you seem to ignore sleslie's question regarding different kinds of freedoms that collide between two individuals - and I think this is the crucial flaw, as one persons freedom might interfere with another persons. How is this case handled?

By the court system, or by an arbiter. This is done all the time since society first started. This is not something new or unprecedented.

So the judge needs to decide which person's freedom should be weighted higher and thus reduce the other person's freedom based on laws?

Nope. Your freedom ends when someone else's freedom begins. it is that simple. The judge does not need to weight "two separate freedoms". it simply needs to look if one's freedom was violated by the act of another.

For example: You have the freedom to express yourself. I don;t have (or should not have) the freedom to shut you up because I don;t like what you say.

By the court system, or by an arbiter. This is done all the time since society first started. This is not something new or unprecedented.

The court system = the state
Nope. Your freedom ends when someone else's freedom begins. it is that simple. The judge does not need to weight "two separate freedoms". it simply needs to look if one's freedom was violated by the act of another.

For example: You have the freedom to express yourself. I don;t have (or should not have) the freedom to shut you up because I don;t like what you say.

This is a non-answer. At what point does my freedom of personal exp<b></b>ression end and your right to not being harassed begin?

Back