Catcalling Fines

Yep. Shun and shame the catcaller all you like. A society has full right to do that. Put to respond to an act of self exp<b></b>ression, no matter how despicable, with violence, to me that is unacceptable.

All depends how you view cat calling. For many cat calling is an act of sexual violence, perpetrated by someone in a position of power against someone vulnerable. The right to shout "I'd like to split you in two" at a terrified schoolgirl isn't one I'm going to champion. But each to their own.

All depends how you view cat calling. For many cat calling is an act of sexual violence, perpetrated by someone in a position of power against someone vulnerable.

Then sue them and prove in court their intent was to cause injury and distress. But to forbid speech a priory because it might scare a little girl is wrong.

I was hoping this thread would be about catcalling and not political theory. I did enjoy the three posts about cat-calling, though. I see a lot of harassment here in my poor neighbourhood in Europe, even just half an hour ago, and it makes me sad. I wish men would respect women more

I was hoping this thread would be about catcalling and not political theory. I did enjoy the three posts about cat-calling, though. I see a lot of harassment here in my poor neighbourhood in Europe, even just half an hour ago, and it makes me sad. I wish men would respect women more

Yes, man are such pigs.

Then sue them and prove in court their intent was to cause injury and distress. But to forbid speech a priory because it might scare a little girl is wrong.

Curious where you draw the line. At what point do you allow the evil state to intervene? A man waving his genitals at child might have just been hot and was trying to cool them off. Equally the man masturbating outside a playground might not have really upset anyone, so we shouldn't assume.

Sounds a lot like you are trying to justify sexual violence under a misguided understanding of what freedom of exp<b></b>ression constitutes.

Argentina wouldn't be the first country to have fines for catcalling. In 1907 Angel Villoldo composed a tango called Cuidado con los 50 satirizing a Paris ordinance that prohibited catcalling and had a $50 fine.

he absolutely does have the right to produce electricity. He just can't put the results of his endeavor into my house. It is not a matter of him not having the right to produce electricity. It is a matter of him not having the right over my house.

He doesn't put it into your house. The smoke is just flying around and you open the window to let it in... The point is, it is naive to assume that a person living out his freedoms might not have an effect on any other person's freedom and you need to have limitations with clear boundaries, which basically means reducing the extend of freedom. How much? This is a question society needs to decide.

I liked it the old fashion way better, when a cat call was solved by the girl's pappa and or older brother wearing the yellowish stained wife beater ,and the hairy back(a must) and have a ''talk' italian style' with the cat caller( for those of you unitalians will for ever be a mystery i reckon)but it worked everytime :)

Back