Caught Up in the Meaningless Protest Last Night

cohiba

Registered
Hi folks,

Im orginaly from NYC and have been coming to BsAs for business and to be an expat for months at a time since 2005.

I was walking up Santa Fe Avenue last night and had never seen so many people ( 100k-150k ) angry with the government and certainly never seen so many middle class people protesting. So I asked them what the deal was and they hate Kirchner ( old story from Nestor's time ) but not one of them could suggest an alternative and they had only the vaguest notions of what needs to change here...

I'll be quite frank. I know this country better than most and it makes no difference who sits in the pink house so long as Argentines behave like...Argentines, i.e. disagreeable, obstructionist and generally make everything more difficult than necessary and constantly stoke conflict.

I just got here this week and before I had even arrived the Argentine Airlines staff at the departure gate were being typical blackmailing assholes... 10 minutes before takeoff as I boarded the plane with 2 small personal bags, the staff started insisting that I and 5 other startled passengers carry only one or pay $120 on the spot to carry the second small bag...a total scam. Here is the proof: I refused to pay and after trying to scare me with warnings I could not fly, I called their bluff and they let me board anyway.

And I know some people will howl, but to tell the truth means to leave political correctness back in the US so here it is: many women here are not intelligent yet they occupy employment positions that enable them to make decisions that have a big impact on others. At banks, in government and elsewhere, they can shut down or slow down whatever you want to get done....there has always been a lot of negativity here and the women are keen to say NO NO NO to anything and everything... And no Im talking talking about Kristina Kirchner; she's probably much smarter and patriotic than most of her countrymen and women. And yes this is also a problem outside Argentina.

Basically, the people here are always complaining about everything. I asked one 40 year old guy when was the last time Argentina had a good government and he said not n his lifetime. All of them will repeat this. So what does that say about them?

My , my , such negativity. Well , you are back , and seem to be a perfect fit for all these awful , terrible Argentines. Seems your opinion of them has rubbed off on you. YOU sure are complaining like an Argentine !!

Question : Why are you here ?

hey, Im just the messenger, dont shoot me for telling it like it is in BsAs

Kind of a mirror image of New York: BA. Ever think your "New York State Of Mind" may have something to do with your problems?

I think you're telling it like YOU think it is.... from your point of view, which is understandable to come back here and have to deal with this crap, but come on: Don't shoot the messenger?
Who's message are you delivering?

cohiba said:
Hi folks,

Im orginaly from NYC and have been coming to BsAs for business and to be an expat for months at a time since 2005.

I was walking up Santa Fe Avenue last night and had never seen so many people ( 100k-150k ) angry with the government and certainly never seen so many middle class people protesting. So I asked them what the deal was and they hate Kirchner ( old story from Nestor's time ) but not one of them could suggest an alternative and they had only the vaguest notions of what needs to change here...

I'll be quite frank. I know this country better than most and it makes no difference who sits in the pink house so long as Argentines behave like...Argentines, i.e. disagreeable, obstructionist and generally make everything more difficult than necessary and constantly stoke conflict.

I just got here this week and before I had even arrived the Argentine Airlines staff at the departure gate were being typical blackmailing assholes... 10 minutes before takeoff as I boarded the plane with 2 small personal bags, the staff started insisting that I and 5 other startled passengers carry only one or pay $120 on the spot to carry the second small bag...a total scam. Here is the proof: I refused to pay and after trying to scare me with warnings I could not fly, I called their bluff and they let me board anyway.

And I know some people will howl, but to tell the truth means to leave political correctness back in the US so here it is: many women here are not intelligent yet they occupy employment positions that enable them to make decisions that have a big impact on others. At banks, in government and elsewhere, they can shut down or slow down whatever you want to get done....there has always been a lot of negativity here and the women are keen to say NO NO NO to anything and everything... And no Im talking talking about Kristina Kirchner; she's probably much smarter and patriotic than most of her countrymen and women. And yes this is also a problem outside Argentina.

Basically, the people here are always complaining about everything. I asked one 40 year old guy when was the last time Argentina had a good government and he said not n his lifetime. All of them will repeat this. So what does that say about them?

The protest last night absolutely was NOT meaningless. Anytime you get that many people together protesting, a politician will take note. The protestors last night sent a powerful message.

Don't believe that it was meaningless because it most certainly was not.

First off - you visiting here for months at a time over the giant span of what.. 7 years... doesn't make you an expat - you are a tourist.

Second - wow, really with the misogyny? You are basing your knowledge of the average intelligence of Argentine women (and women in general) on what exactly? Your in-depth knowledge based on your visits here?
(And speaking of intelligence, it's CRISTINA, not Kristina. Probably want to learn to spell her name right)

Third - how exactly is that you "know this country better than most". Better than most meaning whom exactly? Other tourists? Because someone who knows this country well would probably have been very aware of the protest and the reasons behind it.

if you know anything abut Argentina, you will know that the only way to get a response to anything is to protest. If your travel company is striking, block off an avenue until the government provides you with free transport. If your queue at the tollbooth is too long start beeping your horn till they let you through… it’s pretty much how things get done here. I don’t know why this all surprises you so much.

Meaningless? One thing I noticed today is there is a spring in the step of people and they are walking tall. They feel a whole lot better about themselves.

Back