Cell Phones, Blackberries, and Vonage- Help??

RobeartoNYC

Registered
Is anyone using any of these devices? I need to be able take calls from the US at all hours of the day. So, I need a solution for when I am not at a desk.

I know that Vonage works well, and that they have a mobile offering. However, I am trying to figure out if my blackberry will be able to work down there.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thank you very much.

Robert

Do you want to maintain your US number? That is going to be the main thing you need to address. I suspect you could have a vonage number fwd'd to a BA cell.

BlackBerries work in Argentina - RIM is well-established there and their products are offered via several Argentine carriers. Same goes for most cell phones. You will likely be able to text, accept calls, etc - although your roaming charges will be considerable (if you keep a US service provider).

If you are keeping your US number - the only carrier that will work here is AT&T. Verizon says they have coverage but they don't. However, it's expensive. Really, really expensive. I use mine (US) for data only now. The first month, I didn't know how much the roaming charges would be and used it for both calls/data. My bill was over $1000 USD for one month. :eek: Calls are 2 or 3 USD a minute. So cost-prohibitive. My worldwide data package is around $200 USD a month.

You can get a local line but that would defeat the purpose of your clients dialing a US number which I assume you want.

I work with skype here (US number, connects to me here). My clients call me on a local number and it forwards automatically. Skype doesn't offer NYC numbers though - no 917/212. You can get a NJ area code or upsate NY though. Or most other areas. If you pick up a skype phone, you can be mobile and use it anywhere you have a wireless connection (most places).

Lots of people have good luck with vonage but AFAIK, you don't have the mobile option with that.

citygirl,

I have a question about your use of your data plan for your blackberry. Were you charged to have a phone plan even if you only used your data? I want to bring my tour 9630 to Buenos Aires for the 5 months I am abroad, but i do not want to get slammed with the roaming fees, I only want to use it for data. Any suggestions on what i should do? I appreciate anyones help!

I've used vonage and skype. Overall the call quality of vonage is more reliable because the vonage adapter is hardware based so it is not dependent on a computer, vs skype software that depends on the computer that you are running it on. Skype's advantage is that the skype client runs on pretty much any computer, including say an ipod or iphone, so you can make and take calls over wifi in your home via your ipod, and also over your computer using the same skype account/ phone numbers. To make or take a call over skype the computer or ipod has to be pretty much only used for the skype call. If the computer is off or busy with something else, the skype call will likely not get through on the first attempt - I have missed most incoming skype calls. On the other hand I use skype on my ipod from wifi cafes to make outgoing calls reliably all the time.

applejax1590 said:
citygirl,

I have a question about your use of your data plan for your blackberry. Were you charged to have a phone plan even if you only used your data? I want to bring my tour 9630 to Buenos Aires for the 5 months I am abroad, but i do not want to get slammed with the roaming fees, I only want to use it for data. Any suggestions on what i should do? I appreciate anyones help!

applejax - I would check with your provider. I know that data roaming can be expensive if you don't have the worldwide plan.

Vonage is a great solution for receiving calls at all hours of the day regardless of whether you are home or not.

I set up simul-ring on my Vonage line to my Argentine cell phone so both my home phone and my cell phone ring at the same time and I can always get my calls. The rate of $0.07/min is the lowest I have seen.

citygirl said:
I work with skype here (US number, connects to me here). My clients call me on a local number and it forwards automatically. Skype doesn't offer NYC numbers though - no 917/212. You can get a NJ area code or upsate NY though. Or most other areas. If you pick up a skype phone, you can be mobile and use it anywhere you have a wireless connection (most places).

You can get a 646 number through Skype.

I have a Movistar prepaid SIM where I get decent rates for data. I keep Skype open on an unlocked iPhone and people can call me directly there through my Skype number. I imagine that you could use a similar solution with a Blackberry. Probably even better if you can get a postpaid Blackberry plan, since they are very common and cheap here.

Skype and blackberry don't play nicely together.

I tried to get a NY number, at the time there were no 646 numbers but that's great if they now have them.

Just a warning, I forward my skype (US num) to my local Arg cellphone when I'm away from my desk but it is expensive - 25 cents a minute. So just be aware of the costs.

Back