Cell Phones in Argentina

So basically, if all I want is a phone that is functional for calling and texting without any gadgets and frills (internet and all that), I should just buy one over there rather than trying to unlock the one I have here in the states?

I can help you or anybody else, just sent me the recording using sound recorder in windows (all w. have them) . Later

bobg said:
I figure that I am so popular there just must be messages! No, seriously, I can't be certain about anything. But I am near certain that I left a message from my land line just so that I could learn the process of retrieving the message from the cell phone. I suppose that in fumbling around trying to retrieve it I have inadvertently deleted it. I don't know, does the dialog/process let you delete a message even if you have not listened to it.

It's so frustrating. I do know some Spanish. And I'll bet at some point it is saying "Tiene uno/dos/tres/... mensajes." or something similar which I would recognize in print, or said m-u-y d-e-s-p-a-c-i-o. But when I listen to the prompts it's like trying to drink from a firehose.

Bob

I just have a question. Is there any company that do Skype on mobiles built in already in Argentina and how much would it be. I have a first generation unlocked iPhone for when I travel so I cant get apps (if I did download the software updates it will lock again) so I might buy a Skype phone in Argentina if its cheap and possible.

If not can one buy a readily registered SIM card in BA for pay as you go (credit) pretty easily?

@Conorworld: there are a lot of phones that support the Skype function. I'd suggest you check out the websites of Claro, Movistar etc to get an idea about the costs. Not exactly cheap in my opinion...
Sim cards ("chips") are easily available and cost between 5 and 15 pesos.
@bizco: that depends on your provider. For Movistar it's *611, Personal *150, and for Claro *555.

If I bring an unlocked iphone with me will I be able to buy a reasonably priced data plan so I can use the internet/google maps app/etc?

Do you pay according to bandwidth?

Thanks!

bobg - if it's your first time entering your mailbox and you've never listened to messages, it's asking you to configure your voicemail. pressing one # (sorry, i forget which) i believe is to record your name, but there should be another option to skip that part if you don't want to record your name for callers to hear. if i remember correctly, that was it, and once you set that up you can retrieve your messages.

and sending and receiving texts internationally? can anyone do that and on what service? i have personal and can't..

yellowba said:
and sending and receiving texts internationally? can anyone do that and on what service? i have personal and can't..

It's possible, but without an international plan (pack) it can eat up your credit quickly... :rolleyes:

To send an internation text, just enter the number with country code and prefixed with a "+" plus sign. For the US:
+1 555 555 1234

To receive from abroad, the sender has to do the same thing, but should add a "9" before the argentinian city code:
+54 9 11 5555 1234
(note: no "15" cell phone code is needed).

To get the "+" sign on your cell phone, it depends on the phone you have, but for motorola you usually have to hold the "0" key for a second or so, and it will output the + sign.

You can store your numbers in that full format as well in your phone as it works also for making phone calls (locally or international). Its the best format to save your numbers if you travel with your cell or call international regularly.

yellowba said:

I used to be able to but now I can't, I also have personal. Things change here by the minute.

Back