Cell Phones in Argentina

tangobob said:
I used to be able to but now I can't, I also have personal. Things change here by the minute.

I agree.. the cell companies are always tweaking their services. Perhaps Personal now requires you to have an international pack to allow you to use the international SMS service?... Give them a call.

grahamTO said:
Does anyone know how to activate the claro prepaid phone? I bought one today and have been trying to activate it but it seems to fail each time I try. It asks me to enter my passport number, which I did, then an area code (I put 11 for Buenos Aires) and then it says unable to activate. Anyone been through this before?

Can anyone help with this - I'm having the same problem. I'm entering my NZ passport number, which I guess might be the problem? How do I activate when I don't have an Argentine passport?

mathewnz said:
Can anyone help with this - I'm having the same problem. I'm entering my NZ passport number, which I guess might be the problem? How do I activate when I don't have an Argentine passport?

I found out how to register - the NZ Passport number is 6 digits where as I think Argentine passports are 9 digits. I added 695 to the start of my passport number (695XXXXXX) and it worked (695 doesn't mean anything - it's just the numbers corresponding to NZL).

The number wasn't activated immediately, and unexpectedly didn't have any credit - but was working the next day.

Hope this helps someone!

Back