Cell Phones in BA

JeffBAfromUSA

Registered
Does anyone know if it is possible to get a pay-as-you-go cell phone here? These are cell phones without a contract. I am looking for a cell phone with a local number for a couple of months but do not want to sign a long term contract. Thanks!

According to my Lonely Planet book, there are 2 plans available for cell phones: a monthly plan and pay-as-you-go. The monthly plans are hard to get as you are required to have a DNI (Argentina's national identity document) or evidence of permanent residency. The pay-as-you-go plans are easy, cheap and only require a passport. The main companies are Personal, Movistar, and CTI. There isn't much difference in service or price between them, and they all ofer a free text-message service through their websites. Hope this helps!

You can only get a pre-pago plan without permanent residency and a DNI.

All the companies offer them. When I first got my Movistar pre-pago, I did it outside of the Alto Palermo shopping mall, but when I went back for another one, they told me I had to go to their main center which is near Florida Street.

I have an extra prepaid gsm chip from "personal" it cost me like 20 pesos or so. If you need it is yours. regards

Back