Changes for "permatourists"

French jurist

Registered
Thanks to Bajo Cero2, we learned that a new decreto has been enacted.

This decreto (616/2010) might change the deal for permatourists :

ARTICULO 24.- Los extranjeros que ingresen al país como "residentes transitorios" podrán ser admitidos en las subcategorías establecidas por el artículo 24 de la Ley Nº 25.871, con los siguientes alcances:

a) Turistas: quienes ingresen con propósito de descanso o esparcimiento, con plazo de permanencia de hasta TRES (3) meses, prorrogables por otro período similar.

(funny we recently discussed the law that especifically told about the 180 days limit. Answer was to be found in decretos published before the Law 25.871. This new decreto repeals the previous decretos, the 1994 one etc...)

Now the obligations of the aduaneros :
DEL INGRESO Y EGRESO

ARTICULO 34.- A efectos de controlar el ingreso y egreso de personas del territorio argentino la DIRECCION NACIONAL DE MIGRACIONES tendrá las siguientes atribuciones:

a) Requerir la identificación de quienes pretenden ingresar o egresar del país.

b) Determinar los lugares, horarios, tiempos y formas en que se llevará a cabo el referido movimiento migratorio y habilitar los recintos correspondientes para ello.

c) Intervenir, cuando esto sea posible, la documentación que tales personas exhiban.

d) Determinar su tiempo de permanencia en el país.

e) Registrar el tránsito migratorio.

f) Controlar el movimiento de miembros de la dotación y tripulación de los medios de transporte internacional de acuerdo a la modalidad de cada lugar.

g) Otorgar la admisión al país, si correspondiere, dentro de las categorías migratorias establecidas o, en caso contrario, rechazar el ingreso del extranjero.

A few bad surprises for permatourists doing the Colonia trip !

Now the expulsion part :
ARTICULO 61.- Cuando se verifique que un extranjero hubiere desnaturalizado los motivos que autorizaron su ingreso al territorio argentino o permaneciera en éste vencido el plazo de permanencia acordado, la DIRECCION NACIONAL DE MIGRACIONES lo intimará a fin de que, en un plazo que no exceda de TREINTA (30) días, se presente a regularizar su situación migratoria debiendo acompañar los documentos necesarios para ello. A tal efecto, se lo notificará por escrito informándole, de un modo comprensible, las consecuencias que le deparará mantenerse en la situación migratoria advertida.

La DIRECCION NACIONAL DE MIGRACIONES podrá otorgar una prórroga del plazo acordado, que no podrá exceder de TREINTA (30) días, cuando así lo solicite el interesado y demuestre actos que evidencien su intención de regularizar la situación migratoria. Si para la entrega de la documentación requerida se produjeran demoras por circunstancias no imputables al extranjero, el plazo acordado podrá ser prorrogado por el tiempo que, a juicio de la DIRECCION NACIONAL DE MIGRACIONES, resulte suficiente para superar tal situación.

Cuando el extranjero no regularizare su situación migratoria, la DIRECCION NACIONAL DE MIGRACIONES dictará un acto declarando la ilegalidad de su permanencia y dispondrá su expulsión con destino al país de la nacionalidad del extranjero o, a su petición, a otro país que lo admitiese, cuando acredite debidamente esta última circunstancia. Se deberá resguardar el derecho de la persona a la información sobre la asistencia consular conforme lo dispuesto por la Convención de Viena sobre Relaciones Consulares adoptada por la ORGANIZACION DE LAS NACIONES UNIDAS (ONU) el 24 de abril de 1963 y aprobada por Ley Nº 17.081.

Now, illegals sentenced to an expulsion could be retained up to 15 days :
ARTICULO 70.- Cuando la orden de expulsión de un extranjero se encuentre firme y consentida, el MINISTERIO DEL INTERIOR o la DIRECCION NACIONAL DE MIGRACIONES solicitarán a la autoridad judicial competente que ordene su retención al solo efecto de cumplir con aquélla.

La petición deberá contener una identificación precisa de la persona respecto de quien se solicita la medida, e ir acompañada con copia certificada de la resolución de expulsión y de las demás constancias que acrediten que ésta se encuentra firme y consentida.

La retención podrá solicitarse por un plazo de hasta QUINCE (15) días corridos

-----

Well, it seems the day has come for permatourists. Now the question is : will it be strictly applied or not ? Will foreigners from countries being hard on Argentinian illegals be subject to a stricter enforcement ? In the case the policy is enforced equally against any foreigner, will the other countries who were loose about Argentinean illegals become stricter ?

I am waiting to read the first horror story, anyway the law is the law !

I'll be curious to see how permatourists plan to deal with this, and as you said, whether it will be seriously and evenly enforced.

I must confess that I haven't read the entire new decree but my understanding is that it has always been that one could enter for 3 months and then renew for 3 months in country and then you have to leave. The ambiguity was always whether coming back after being outside restarted the clock.

Does the new decree state 180 maximum per 365 day period that someone can be in the country? If so, yes, that will clearly be a major change and will affect the perma-tourists.

And no idea how (if it is enforced) people will deal with it. I'd be willing to bet that a lot will just pack their bags and move on to the next place.

Yes, it may not change that much the situation but it clearly denotes a certain will to deal with the problem.

There are two possible scenarios:
President CFK has use reciprocity in the past. Last year she ask for a fee for Americans and some other countries in reciprocity for the fee that Argentinians pays for the US Visa. Spain has been very nasty with some Argentinians Grandmas recently, they deported them. So we can expect that expats from Spain will be the first to be deported.

On the other hand, there are new laws in the States about migration and about 2000 Argentinians could be deported. If this happens I am sure that they will use reciprocity and US expat will be in troubles.

Enforceability in this case will be different depending on where are you from and deportation will be the answer.

The second scenario is that they want that you start paying taxes, in that case the 30 days ultimatum will be the answer.

Take a look to the anexos. Now the migration office has the power to create new transitory residences categories (puede crear nuevos supuestos par aplicar a la residencia) and in fact they already create 2 new ones.

I believe that this is a good opportunity to create an expat NGO and start doing lobby proposing other options to apply for transitory residence.

However, as a lawyer I suggest to deal with this in advance, they give you the option to regularize you migration situation (you can apply being a tourist in Argentina and they give some extra time for getting your papers, US criminal record take like 3 months) so, It makes no sense for me to wait until the first horror story happens.

On the other hand, the Argentinian Constitutions says that any person who wants to work in any legal activity has the right to be Argentinian. So if somebody doesn´t full fit any category, then there are other ways to get a residence, going to court.

Regards

Yes, this reciprocity might work, anyway it's a fundamental of diplomacy (like a few years ago, US made an expensive visa for Brazilians, and afterwards Brazilian authorities did the same).

I'll try to find expulsion stats for Argentineans living in foreign countries, that could be a good hint to what the future will be.

I answer some question from the original thread.

To understand what is going it is important to understand that historically the migration policy was focus on the immigrants from Bolivia, Paraguay, etc.

An there was a lot of discrimination about that. The customs agents weren´t nasty with you guys because you don´t look like from Bolivia or Paraguay. It is all about racism.

There is an economy integration going on just like the one that happens in Europe. So, deportation is forbidden by law for Mercosur citizens.

And the government was focus on Mercosur citizens who were illegals in Argentina, making them legals (Patria Grande programm).

So, this new decreto is focus on enforceability, it gives police powers to migration agents and establish the new Argentinian migration policy. It is a big deal because is an expath custom made law.

Deportation can be use only with non Mercosur.

Police powers: Now they can double check that all the info you give is true. They can make inspections, google you, whatever.

So, now they have the legal tools to enforce the law and they have a clear policy to enforce. This is the big change.

Regards

French jurist said:
Yes, this reciprocity might work, anyway it's a fundamental of diplomacy (like a few years ago, US made an expensive visa for Brazilians, and afterwards Brazilian authorities did the same).

I'll try to find expulsion stats for Argentineans living in foreign countries, that could be a good hint to what the future will be.
As with most decrees in AR this one is difficult to interpret. Perhaps on purpose. The irony of this is a little strange as viewed by "permatourists" because most here from Europe, Canada, the States and similar are adding to the economy and paying 21% IVA on monthly spending somewhat greater than the avg AR salary. Plus they generally carry their own health care insurance and do not further burden the free medical infrastructure.
The economic implications really don't add up so this is reciprocity. Which brings forth another big irony because the US is currently debating the posibility of recinding the visa requirements for Argentines and a few other nationals.
This decree seems to be aimed more in the direction of the Bolivians and Peruvians. etc. But....who knows.

French jurist said:

I don´t think this stats could be useful because the big issue about deportation began with the global crisis.

But the answer is simple, Spain and the US.

Regards

ghost said:
"permatourists" because most here from Europe, Canada, the States and similar are adding to the economy and paying 21% IVA on monthly spending somewhat greater than the avg AR salary. Plus they generally carry their own health care insurance and do not further burden the free medical infrastructure.
This does not make them legal; the term " permatourist " is an oxymoron. As a side note, the K´s do not do what is best for the country in a lot of situations, so you shouldn´t even question that ;)

Back