Changes for "permatourists"

Generally it is a good thing to have clear laws. For me it comes unfortunate because I arrived 3 months ago, planning to stay 9 months in total, therefore never caring about getting a decent temporary recidence because even argentine lawyers told me not to waste money on that if I don´t even plan on staying a full year (they a friends, I am pretty sure that a lawyer you don´t know would not be that open when he can make good money otherwise). I´m still optimistic that I will be able to work something out and if not, I´ll go home earlier although I would have really liked spending a week in Mar del Plata in January.

I am just glad that I found out about this issue here, and not at the border crossing. Will be interesting to see how that develops. I better get my birth certificate apostilled already.

Hellek said:
Generally it is a good thing to have clear laws. For me it comes unfortunate because I arrived 3 months ago, planning to stay 9 months in total, therefore never caring about getting a decent temporary recidence because even argentine lawyers told me not to waste money on that if I don´t even plan on staying a full year (they a friends, I am pretty sure that a lawyer you don´t know would not be that open when he can make good money otherwise). I´m still optimistic that I will be able to work something out and if not, I´ll go home earlier although I would have really liked spending a week in Mar del Plata in January.

I am just glad that I found out about this issue here, and not at the border crossing. Will be interesting to see how that develops. I better get my birth certificate apostilled already.

Hellek,

I think a wait and see attitude is best too. I personally don't think it's going to be that big of an issue still, but I could be wrong. This is just a clarification of a law, not a headline of enforcement, ie:

"Immigration officials to start cracking down on Colonia tourist renewals" or, "The Kirchner administration vows to crack down on "perma-tourism". I feel like Argentina is one big basket of laws, many of them with no real "kick".

Picking up your dog's sh@t in the city is a law, yet it's still everywhere! :)

Hellek said:

If you're only staying 9 months I wouldn't even worry about it. Just don't leave the country more than one time.

As a self appointed spokesperson for Americans who chose to retire in Argentina, I am appalled at the possible actions that the government may take against us.
With almost no exceptions, we are the perfect residents of this country. We play by the rules and obey the laws. Since we don't have an interest in working, we are not taking jobs away from Argentines. Our expat organ-izations support local charities. I for one give money to people on the street who are financially challenged on a regular basis. All that we do is spend money in Argentina.
Many Argentine citizens may have moved to America legally, but when their visas expired decided to stay. They knew that they were there illegally , but took the chance.
We, Americans moved here legally and continue to live here legally. I don't see a correlation. Should we prepare for our future or ignore the warning signs. What would it cost to rent River Stadium for a few hours? That was a joke, I think.

gunt86 said:
The ARG gvmt is physically unable to collect taxes on the worldwide income current ARG citizens, why ever would the gvmt try to do similarly with the permatourists?

Right! According to Argentinian Law, you pay taxes only once, no matter where. If you pay taxes en the US, then you don´t pay the same taxes here.
Collecting taxes has more to do with people who works under the table here and should pay taxes here.

Regards

Bajo_cero2 said:
There is no price, you only have to probe you are not under the poverty line. You must prove that you have enough money to live without working. You are going to spend this $8000 the way you like. 4000 is the minimum a poor family needs to live in this country.

However, you can go to Court and appeal this, here, unless in the US, you have rights just because you are a human been.

Most expats here as tourists CANNOT qualify for a legal residency. The rentista visa is the simplest, but requires passive income from outside the country. This is not simply having a salary of $8000 pesos a month, but passive income of that amount. The other visas require even more specialized circumstances - marriage, having a child, investment, retirement, student, etc.

Simply "wanting to live here" is not enough, so that is why so many people take advantage of this loophole of leaving to Uruguay or simply overstaying their visa.

I also do not think this will be actively enforced, and think everyone should take a wait and see approach to this. Of course, I could be wrong too...so, back to the discussion.

fred mertz said:
As a self appointed spokesperson for Americans who chose to retire in Argentina, I am appalled at the possible actions that the government may take against us.
With almost no exceptions, we are the perfect residents of this country. We play by the rules and obey the laws.

Then there is nothing you should worry about. The Argentinian policy is "be legal", that´s it.

Regards

Sleuth said:
Most expats here as tourists CANNOT qualify for a legal residency. The rentista visa is the simplest, but requires passive income from outside the country. This is not simply having a salary of $8000 pesos a month, but passive income of that amount.

This is a mistake. There are three situation described by the law, one is passive income, savings is another. If you probe you have the money and it comes from legal activities, that´s it.

The misunderstandings about this was created by the migration agents because they are not lawyers and they behave just like Mc´Donalds employeds when you ask for a big mac instead of the combo .

Regards

Bajo_cero2 said:
This is a mistake. There are three situation described by the law, one is passive income, savings is another. If you probe you have the money and it comes from legal activities, that´s it.

The misunderstandings about this was created by the migration agents because they are not lawyers and they behave just like Mc´Donalds employeds when you ask for a big mac instead of the combo.

What amount of savings would one need to qualify? Is it a year's worth, two years', ...? I have never heard of that as an option.

Bajo_cero2 said:
The misunderstandings about this was created by the migration agents because they are not lawyers and they behave just like Mc´Donalds employeds when you ask for a big mac instead of the combo .
Agreed. Anyone who asks a migraciones officer to clarify an immigration question is taking a risk. That goes for immigration officers of any country. Think of who they are: junior to mid-level clerks. How can you ever expect them to give you the precise answer!! Hire a well respected lawyer if you are unable to do the research on your own.

Back