Changes for "permatourists"

ghost said:
This decree seems to be aimed more in the direction of the Bolivians and Peruvians. etc. But....who knows.

I desagree. Deportation for mercosur citizens is forbidden by law.
Regards

Ghost, "permatourist " :D:D:D Come on!

About CFK, this new law, if you go to the migration office at Retiro, there is a big sign with the slogan "If you are illegal, that´s because you want to". It makes no sense to be illegal, if you have your life here and the goverment gives you the way to became a resident, lucky you. Mexican are not so lucky at the US. On the other hand, if there is a deportation order against you, you will spend a lot of money in lawyers when you can deal with this for 600 pesos and some paperwork.

Regards

ghost said:
The irony of this is a little strange as viewed by "permatourists" because most here from Europe, Canada, the States and similar are adding to the economy and paying 21% IVA on monthly spending somewhat greater than the avg AR salary. Plus they generally carry their own health care insurance and do not further burden the free medical infrastructure.

I think that's an argument that falls on deaf ears now. Permatourists are paying IVA on the money they spend here just like taxpaying Argentines, but they are not paying taxes on their income. Many taxpaying Argentines carry their own health insurance and do not further burden the "free medical infrastructure" either. The new income requirement of $8000 pesos per person per month for the visa rentista was undoubtedly implemented with future tax revenues in mind (more than insuring the foreigner have "enough" to live on).

If the income requirement for the retirement visa has only increased to $3500 pesos per month, I don't think that public health care costs were a major consideration when the new regulations were drafted. Foreigners who are here on tourist visas are able to access the "free medical infrastructure" as well.

ghost said:
The economic implications really don't add up so this is reciprocity. Which brings forth another big irony because the US is currently debating the posibility of recinding the visa requirements for Argentines and a few other nationals.

But Argentines in the US on tourist visas cannot leave and reenter immediately in order to extend their stay in the US, can they? I think they might even have to stay out of the US for a period of months, but I'm not sure how many. I do believe the law states they cannot just go to Mexico, Canada, or other nearby countries and just come back, even if they own property in the US. I don't think these conditions are under debate at this point.

I have heard that a "Silver Visa" for the US has been proposed for retired foreigners who can prove foreign income or sufficient reserves, but it isn't close to becoming law as far as I know.

steveinbsas said:
But Argentines in the US on tourst visas cannot leave and reenter immediately in order to extend thier stay in the US, can they?
In the USA, Tourist must leave the Continent. A trip to the Bahamas does not qualify either. No quick turnarounds. What goes around comes around to haunt you with amazing accuracy.

I was living in NYC last year. I paid a good migration adviser who told me how to deal with the interrogation at customs. They gave 6 months. After that I fly to Europe for 1 month and 1 day. The custom agent gave me again 6 months but he told me I was going to be deported if I don´t wait a year before coming back to us territory.

Bajo_cero2 said:
It makes no sense to be illegal, if you have your life here and the goverment gives you the way to became a resident, lucky you.

The government's "gift" of temporary residency comes with a (new) price tag of $8000 pesos per month.

Bajo_cero2 said:
Mexican are not so lucky at the US.

Obama will probably change that with an executive order. His party needs the votes.

steveinbsas said:
The government's "gift" of temporary residency comes with a (new) price tag of $8000 pesos per month.

There is no gift, it is a right. You can find it in the Argentinian Constitution.

There is no price, you only have to probe you are not under the poverty line. You must prove that you have enough money to live without working. You are going to spend this $8000 the way you like. 4000 is the minimum a poor family needs to live in this country.

However, you can go to Court and appeal this, here, unless in the US, you have rights just because you are a human been.

Regards

I for one am quite happy to learn that the "permatourists" will become extinct in Argentina. The "permatourist" status was always illegal (90+90=180 max stay per year), but just not enforced. Anyone who was counting on the lack of enforcement to continue ad infinitum, was clearly taking a foolish & unnecessary risk.

right or wrong the permatourist thing was allowed for years & years and the question of whether or not it was legal was always debatable (including the experience of a member of this forum who was told by migraciones it was fine).

That aside, I'd bet dollars to donuts that this is (or will be if its enforced) an attempt to collect income taxes. I highly doubt that the gov't is looking to expel permatourists b/c it offends them or because they're sticking up for those Argentines in the US or elsewhere.

Now collecting up to 35% on the worldwide income of those perma-tourists - that would seem to me to be an awfully enticing reason to start requiring residency.

citygirl said:
...Now collecting up to 35% on the worldwide income of those perma-tourists - that would seem to me to be an awfully enticing reason to start requiring residency.
The ARG gvmt is physically unable to collect taxes on the worldwide income current ARG citizens, why ever would the gvmt try to do similarly with the permatourists?

Back