Chavez wins journalism award...

Goucho: when you compare somebody with Hitler, is the end of the discussion, and it makes you look bad.
Btw, Globovision was directly involved in a failed coup to oust Chavez, so in fact Chavez was very lenient, because if that happened in the States the owner of Globovision would have been sentenced to death for treason.

marksoc said:
Goucho: when you compare somebody with Hitler, is the end of the discussion, and it makes you look bad.
Btw, Globovision was directly involved in a failed coup to oust Chavez, so in fact Chavez was very lenient, because if that happened in the States the owner of Globovision would have been sentenced to death for treason.

Good, it seems the brainwashing experiments are working.

Whilst I doubt they'd be sentenced to death for treason, I can't think of a better example of a media monopoly abusing its power than Globovision in Venezuela.

Chavez is hardly a champion of the free press, but the wounded complaints from globovision ring a little hollow. They have a monopoly on media in venezuela, and have repeatedly abused their position in ways that would be considered unimaginable elsewhere.

If in some nightmarish scenario FOX news became the only news channel in the US, and actively participated in a coup to overthrow Obama, I'm not sure how legitimate their pleas for "media freedom" would be if attempts were subsequently made to dismantle their monopoly.

Also, whilst on the subject, I'm no fan of Chavez but it doesn't take much analysis to realize that this is a sensationalist attention grabbing headline:

"Chavez says capitalism may have ended life on Mars"

Its amusing to assume he's blaming capitalism for the lack of life on Mars, but to me this looks like a poorly worded, and carefully edited metaphor for the destructive power of capitalism. Not the best metaphor, but then its difficult to know what he actually said, how well it was translated, and then what was edited out "for effect".

"I have always said, heard, that it would not be strange that there had been civilization on Mars, but maybe capitalism arrived there, imperialism arrived and finished off the planet," Chavez said in speech to mark World Water Day.

Chavez, who also holds capitalism responsible for many of the world's problems, warned that water supplies on Earth were drying up.

"Careful! Here on planet Earth where hundreds of years ago or less there were great forests, now there are deserts. Where there were rivers, there are deserts," Chavez said, sipping from a glass of water.

The media has a field day with Chavez. He's never short of soundbites, and people like reading about the "crackpot south american leader", so reports invariable conform to this caricature and make every effort to ridicule him. Which is admittedly not difficult...

This isn't a great example of a free press either - dumbed down, edited and heavily spun reuters reports being repeated in commercial titles across the world. "You are all free to parrot the same source" isn't exactly freedom. Its a great example of how commercial media is painfully reliant on third hand tit-bits from a handful of sources. There was a time when titles had their own foreign correspondents, whose local expertise could be called upon to provide insight and analysis into foreign affairs. Unfortunately a depressing majority of titles decided to dispense with local expertise, in favour of parroting whatever gibberish came over the wire.

jp said:
Whilst I doubt they'd be sentenced to death for treason, I can't think of a better example of a media monopoly abusing its power than Globovision in Venezuela.

Chavez is hardly a champion of the free press, but the wounded complaints from globovision ring a little hollow. They have a monopoly on media in venezuela, and have repeatedly abused their position in ways that would be considered unimaginable elsewhere.

If in some nightmarish scenario FOX news became the only news channel in the US, and actively participated in a coup to overthrow Obama, I'm not sure how legitimate their pleas for "media freedom" would be if attempts were subsequently made to dismantle their monopoly.

Also, whilst on the subject, I'm no fan of Chavez but it doesn't take much analysis to realize that this is a sensationalist attention grabbing headline:

Its amusing to assume he's blaming capitalism for the lack of life on Mars, but to me this looks like a poorly worded, and carefully edited metaphor for the destructive power of capitalism. Not the best metaphor, but then its difficult to know what he actually said, how well it was translated, and then what was edited out "for effect".

The media has a field day with Chavez. He's never short of soundbites, and people like reading about the "crackpot south american leader", so reports invariable conform to this caricature and make every effort to ridicule him. Which is admittedly not difficult...

This isn't a great example of a free press either - dumbed down, edited and heavily spun reuters reports being repeated in commercial titles across the world. "You are all free to parrot the same source" isn't exactly freedom. Its a great example of how commercial media is painfully reliant on third hand tit-bits from a handful of sources. There was a time when titles had their own foreign correspondents, whose local expertise could be called upon to provide insight and analysis into foreign affairs. Unfortunately a depressing majority of titles decided to dispense with local expertise, in favour of parroting whatever gibberish came over the wire.

I don't get your post at all. Globalvision, abusing its monopoly position? Do you really mean that since Globalvision was the only independent outlet Hugo hadn't shut-down that they are now an abusive monopoly because no competitors are left? Don't understand this logic at all.

I recommend reading up on Venezuela's media landscape and the 2002 coup.

jp said:

I am not going to read about some ten year old event as justification for Hugo's ongoing attempts to eliminate freedom of the press. Don't duck the question, is Globalvision abusing its position as a monopoly because its the only independent broadcaster left in Hugoland. If that is what you mean then your post doesn't make sense.

gouchobob said:
I am not going to read about some ten year old event as justification for Hugo's ongoing attempts to eliminate freedom of the press. Don't duck the question, is Globalvision abusing its position as a monopoly because its the only independent broadcaster left in Hugoland. If that is what you mean then your post doesn't make sense.
You are always given the tools to make your own mind, instead you always go the easy way. What a brainwash is that huh!

jp said:

Which version do you recommend reading? I certainly don´t want to waste time on an article that has poor translation or editing for effect!

Well Hugo has closed I believe about 6 TV stations and over 30 radio stations and is always threatening more to any that are critical of him. If this is somebodies definition of freedom of the press I suggest that they buy a new dictionary. I don't know why some people can't accept the obvious.

Amargo said:
Like now, nobody - or very few - are talking about the savage behavior of the US soldiers in Afghanistan. Some years ago the abuses in that prison in Iraq were everywhere...

I am sure the Pentagon has warned media
not to make an scandal out of that, fearing that it could ruin the relationships with the muslim World even further (if that is still possible). The Pentagon also prohibited some years ago pictures of the unloading of the remains of fallen soldiers being unloaded in the US.

Sure press freedom is way behind in Venezuela, not making any comparison here. Only saying that press freedom is, as of today, a little nice utopia.

The "Pentagon" doesn't warn media in the US. The EXECUTIVE BRANCH works behind the scenes to have things done.

So when "The Pentagon also prohibited some years ago pictures...", what you mean is DICK CHANEY & his goons told various news agencies that they would encounter difficulties if they published photos of caskets.

The Pentagon could throw a fit and if the executive branch doesn't support them, then various news agencies don't have to worry about it. However, if you have someone like Dick Chaney or Hugo Chavez or Cristina Kirchner personally going after news agencies, then those news agencies are going to have difficulties.

Back