Che, Negra...

But what would be the PC way to describe a black person in Spanish?
I was talking in Spanish to a Swedish friend the other day about an American friend who had just left and was trying to remind him he had met that person, so I described him as "...negro, negrito" to which I was aware an Argentine friend listening crinkled her face.

Afro-Americano? Or is Negro fine?

In this case negro o negrito is discriminator, "moreno" is more convenient and affectionate.

In this case negro o negrito is discriminator, "moreno" is more convenient and affectionate.

Funny how culture and perceptions can change over time. In Brazil, black people used to be ashamed of being black, so they would refer to themselves as "pardo" or "moreno", which really means "mixed" or "brown skinned". As attitudes toward race changed in Brazil, so did the notion of what is acceptable. Today, calling a black person "pardo" or "moreno" is considered racist or condescending. Negro is the word to use today. So it is funny for me to see that right across the border from Brazil, using "moreno" might be preferable.

I absolutely despise the video bellow, and if I could, I would walk with a gun into the set and shoot everyone there. But it gives a good idea of what the attitude in Brazil today towards the world "Negro" as a racial description.

http://youtu.be/igu34Azrzm8

To clarify, I have blue eyes and fair hair so in no way fit the word descriptively. And the friend who calls me this is 100% indigineous, or as people say "negro" so obviously he's not using the word in a racist way. I guess it's just a friendly term then.

It's definitely a friendly term in this context Fahrenheit.
I can often tell what mood Adri is in by the way she addresses me:
Flaco=stern mood
Gringete=she's pulling my chain
Papito=my favourite

negro is ok. in argentina morocho is used more often that moreno. morocho is not the proper word but it is ok to describe hair colour.

Back