Cheapest way to book airfare in Argentina?

PLUNA is an unholy mess. Not only they are disorganized, but they advertise cheap fares and then hit you with charges for boarding, for every piece of baggage including carry ons, etcetera.

My sister flew PLUNA to Punta del Este because their advertised fare was only 10% more than the ferry. With all those hidden fees, she ended up paying almost twice as much.

In my experience, the way to get the lowest airfare is to get a travel agent who'll take the trouble to search for it. There is no charge for this service.

mini said:
Have you tried Pluna? They seem to be a "cheap airline" ala Ryanair/Easyjet. Be careful of the airport/entry/exit fees though. They don't mention them.

Booking a flight on Aerolineas is a nightmare. When I returned to BsAs from t´south I ended up staying an extra two days because the return flight was 200 gbp cheaper! My advice is always be flexible with your dates. I just went on the LAN and Aerolineas. They are basically the two airlines and I can´t imagine you could find cheaper deals elsewhere.

Oh and where possible I travel by bus. Cama is pretty cheap and comfortable. It does take more time but it is no way as bad as some people have made out.

Try to avoid Aerolineas, LAN is much less prone to wildcat strikes and work stoppages.

Long distance buses are good - the "coches cama" have seats that turn into beds. There are meals, movies, and stewardesses. Check for overnight schedules, so you can sleep most of the way.

i just got back from 6 weeks traveling around patagonia....i took buses mostly, but I did fly with LADE twice and LAN once...great service with both airlines ... but LADE was markedly cheaper, especially if you were not flying to or from the major tourist towns...flying out of bariloche or calafate was way more expensive than, say out of commador rivadavia....LADE's web site is easy to navigate and compare prices.....and i hope you can get out to some of the smaller cities down south...

Ok, I know, it is not about flying but...

Semi-cama: 130 degree reclining.
Cama: 160 degree reclining.
SUPER-Cama (also called leito, executive luxury, and those kind of names) is alost 180 degree reclining seat, only 7 rows of seats in the second floor of the bus, complimentary champagne, in some buses leather seats and individual LCD screens with big headphones (I saw that, it is real). There is even a bus to Mendoza that has a kind of office with 4 seats and a table in the lower floor.

And of course clod meal, hot meal, in some buses movies like the ones in the plane (but uncensored, of course) etc.

In terms of getting cheap airfares in argentina. I have yet to try it out but I heard that you can buy tickets online from LAN but select argentina or chile or something. Just don't select international. Buy your ticket at the argentine price and you are halfway to getting an argy price. The kicker is that you can't check any bags and you have to print your boarding pass within 24 hours of your departure. If you do this you get to avoid going to the counter where they always ask for your DNI number to prove you are an argy. I plan on trying this method as I read on some blog budget buenos aires or something to that effect that the author has had some success with this. Hope this helps.

I personally recommend every expat take a micro at least once just for the sheer, caution to the wind experience. Mine was to Cordoba on the lujo end with whiskey with dinner, a bad movie etc....I suggest a constipatory drug (whats that called again??) before travel to negate any bathroom needs but otherwise a hilarious experience...for those of us lucky enough to escape major injury...no more said. I won't contribute to hysterics on this site but over a G+T I may be convinced....

Back