Chicasbondi? Invasion Of Privacy?

talktalk

Registered
Most expats I've spoken to seem to have a clear issue (a number of issues really) with Chicasbondi. The majority of Argentines I ask about the topic see little if any issue at all. Of course, this has just been my particular experience so far.

In fact, I've heard very strong defenses of Chicasbondi from Argentine women themselves. There are many reasons I have problems with it myself.

For example, making public the bus routes of an "attractive" woman could spell trouble for her if that information gets in the hands of a stalker type.

I'm curious what you guys think since I've had some heated discussions on the topic with friends in Capital before...my Argentine friends make me seem like a Puritan when we talk about this oddly enough. I'm just curious what you guys think...

http://www.clarin.co..._893910665.html

It might cross some lines of courtesy and common etiquette, but isn't it legal to take photographs in public? I guess there's an interesting precedent in google street-view, where people pressed for the right to take their image offline if it was inadvertently caught by one of google's camera vans. But again, this seems more like common courtesy, not that they were breaking any US laws.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Street_View_privacy_concerns

I've never really gotten that whole idea that it is so dangerous to have your image, or even satellite pictures of your house online. If drones start hovering over my house and taking pictures through the window I may change my point of view, but what exactly is a stalker going to do online that the same perv won't do if he happens to be riding on the bus? I don't see how it is going to statistically change much of anything. Considering the free speech implications of banning the photos, I can't see where the government has any business being involved with it.

Taking this idea to an extreme - if I take a picture of my wife in a park or at the zoo or the beach, and there are people in the background of the photo, do I need to go up to each of these people and get their written permission before I can publish the photo online?

I am surprised your friends find it so normal, but it might perhaps be seen as a more acceptable, innocent thing in Latin societies, because of different cultural norms regarding gender.

It's tempting: I have just taken a look at the Facebook page but I don't see a lot women I find particularly attractive, most of them are too young, and even apart from age, I have seen much more beautiful women every day in Buenos Aires. Well, let's not get us started about taste.

By nature, every man likes to watch women(/men), but I would never take pictures of anyone without permission, nor publish them. I don't like the idea behind this hype.

It might cross some lines of courtesy and common etiquette, but isn't it legal to take photographs in public? I guess there's an interesting precedent in google street-view, where people pressed for the right to take their image offline if it was inadvertently caught by one of google's camera vans. But again, this seems more like common courtesy, not that they were breaking any US laws.
http://en.wikipedia....rivacy_concerns

I've never really gotten that whole idea that it is so dangerous to have your image, or even satellite pictures of your house online. If drones start hovering over my house and taking pictures through the window I may change my point of view, but what exactly is a stalker going to do online that the same perv won't do if he happens to be riding on the bus? I don't see how it is going to statistically change much of anything. Considering the free speech implications of banning the photos, I can't see where the government has any business being involved with it.

Taking this idea to an extreme - if I take a picture of my wife in a park or at the zoo or the beach, and there are people in the background of the photo, do I need to go up to each of these people and get their written permission before I can publish the photo online?

Good points EricLovesBA - makes me wonder if there are the equivalents of ChicasBondi in other places around the world?....As someone who grew up in the U.S., it also makes me wonder if a ChicasBondi type of site exists or could exist in New York, L.A., San Francisco, Chicago, Boston...?

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I think the thing that would most p*ss off many Argentine women about the whole affair is NOT being chosen as a chicabondi.[/background]

Funny and with a degree of truth RichardP!

I think one of the main issues with chicas bondi is that the guy behind it still doesn't ask permission from all of the women that he then displays on his page. It is difficult enough dealing with (oftentimes highly invasive/sexual cat calling) without having to worry about being featured on some "photographers" website as a public transport using hottie.
Another issue is that one of the primary hooks of his "work" is that he claims to feature diverse women in a bid to show a wide range of beauty. If you actually look at the photographs, the women used are still generally all young, fairly attractive and slim...blah blah blah.
From what I've heard, the guy is fairly well-off, has a lot of high profile sponsors (Levis, one of the big alcohol brands...Bacardi?) and is courting the controversy in order to gain maximum publicity for minimum talent. I actually think that given the context of how women are objectified here, he's actually a little bit dangerous and certainly retrograde.

Back