Chicasbondi? Invasion Of Privacy?

seems quite similar to reddits creepshots.

http://jezebel.com/5949379/naming-names-is-this-the-solution-to-combat-reddits-creepshots

Reddit Creepshots is disgusting and makes me want to vomit, but at the very least it has never pretended to be something that it's not. Chicas Bondi poses as an art project, when really, it's just taking pictures of young, conventionally attractive women without their permission, and then posting them online for the mostly male Facebook fans to get off to. Read the comments, if you can stand it. Most are not exactly critiquing the composition of the photographs. It's a cheap, pervy, wannabe Humans of New York. (Although apparently now there is Humans of Buenos Aires...For all the famous porteño creativity in such an inspiring city, where is the originality?)

Found this: http://buenosaires.ihollaback.org/2013/04/01/veredicto-sobre-chicas-bondi-acosador/

"It's tempting: I have just taken a look at the Facebook page but I don't see a lot women I find particularly attractive, most of them are too young, and even apart from age, I have seen much more beautiful women every day in Buenos Aires. Well, let's not get us started about taste."

Yes, please, let us not get started with discussing the beauty or lack thereof that Argentine women possess/don't possess, as if they were cattle and not human beings. Yogur griego, you (and many other forum members who discuss such things to death) are part of the problem and the sad part is you probably don't even realize it. Most don't...

Did I hurt your feminist feelings? I am not defending ''Chicas Bondi''. I just saw a very interesting comment and I invite you to read it.

si subís las foto pedí permiso y no ponga los datos de los colectivos ni la hora ni el lugar, porque como esto es publico hay millones de degenerados que viendo estas fotos son capaces de ir a tomarse el colectivo, subte, tren, lo que sea a la hora que mas o menos las puede encontrar a las chicas y terminar esto muy mal, por eso hay gente que esta en contra. Para los que están a favor si es bueno por un lado porque muestra la belleza de las mujeres es su naturalidad y sin posar, pero existe este riesgo. Hay que pensar en los riesgos.

That's mainly my problem with this page.

But, returning to that frustration you were targetting me with: men talking about the beauty of women in general in a discrete way has nothing to do with treating them like cattle. Women can be very flagrant and unforgiving in the way they backbite about other people, so I am not too impressed by your argument. Make sure you get yourself a nice cup of tea, and cool down a bit.

It's a polarizing thing isn't it. A David Hamilton kind of debate. Any time art and sex and money get together there's going to be controversy which of course, more times than not, is just the kind of attention that the artist wants. Even this very moment, by having this debate, we are adding fuel to the Chicasbondi fire. Like a troll, sometimes the easiest solution to things you don't like is to turn your attention elsewhere.

It's been a good discussion, thanks guys. The one thing I strongly don't agree with is looking the other way, or turning my attention elsewhere.

After reading some of the comments of support for CB on FB and on TW, it's hard not to want to open the conversation up with people interested in supporting it. That's just my approach.

So, thanks again for everyone's two cents.

Well this is not important at all but I just can´t resist responding to one comment. It´s been a lot of years since I was in journalism classes in the US (and I´m not telling) but back then in the dark ages you had to get model release to publish someone´s photo. Haven´t you noticed sometimes you see a photo and one or two faces are deliberately blurred? That´s why.

Like I said, not important, and particularly since we are in Argentina!

Did I hurt your feminist feelings? I am not defending ''Chicas Bondi''. I just saw a very interesting comment and I invite you to read it.

That's mainly my problem with this page.

But, returning to that frustration you were targetting me with: men talking about the beauty of women in general in a discrete way has nothing to do with treating them like cattle. Women can be very flagrant and unforgiving in the way they backbite about other people, so I am not too impressed by your argument. Make sure you get yourself a nice cup of tea, and cool down a bit.

I am a feminist but you did not hurt my feelings, nor did your comment fire me up particularly. Of course everyone appreciates beauty in the sex they are attracted too, I certainly do, but there is nothing "discrete" about Chicas Bondi. I think the project is cheap objectification of women with next to 0 artistic merit. It's just my opinion; I don't expect anyone to share it. And discussions about Argentine women on this forum generally go from "they're nice to look at" to "they're crazy!!" to "go to Colombia/Perú/some other country, they're pretty and more likely to respond to flirtation, blah blah blah" and then yes, it does start to sound like a bunch of people with a sense of entitlement discussing cattle. Again, my opinion. We share to some extent the other problem, the one you quoted about potential stalkers, etc. Although stalkers don't need a Facebook page to become obsessed with someone.

Your last two sentences made me laugh. A broad sweeping generalization about 50% of the population that really has nothing to do with my point at all, and an assumption that I am all fired up and need a cup of tea. Heh. No need to respond as you have done all the work for me. :rolleyes: Suerte.

Well this is not important at all but I just can´t resist responding to one comment. It´s been a lot of years since I was in journalism classes in the US (and I´m not telling) but back then in the dark ages you had to get model release to publish someone´s photo. Haven´t you noticed sometimes you see a photo and one or two faces are deliberately blurred? That´s why.

Like I said, not important, and particularly since we are in Argentina!

This is untrue - in its simplest form the model release boils down to whether a photo makes someone appear to support, advocate or promote a specific idea, product, or service. That does not apply to chicasbondi, creepshots, etc. The privacy issues raised by these sites are ethical in nature - and I agree with the OP, publishing the bus routes/times of the subjects is problematic. Being against the photography itself seems, as you mentioned, puritanical.

Women are not sexual objects. They are human beings. This yet another piece of trash that paints women like sex objects. I think this site should be thrown straight into the garbage. Haven't looked at it, and will not.

Back